Oil stop leak in GS...bad idea?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Andy N

Thread: Oil stop leak in GS...bad idea?

Default Oil stop leak in GS...bad idea?

Hey peoples,

I need to move the GS tomorrow, however last time I moved it to the shed it leaked so much oil on the way I reckon I lost about half a litre. I have always used Penrite oils and see they make a stop leak additive which can swell up hardened seals.

Advertisement

Is it worth it over the short distance or will it take longer for the seals to swell and be a waste of money? Or even worse could it cause some other problem in the engine that I'm unaware of?

I don't plan to drive it after this so the oil will be changed eventually when I get a seal kit in there but for now I just need to move it where I can work on getting it back in shape (yay!)
    Last edited by Andy N; 11th June 2016 at 07:17 PM.

Waste of money. Just keep her full of the cheap stuff for now.

I have used similar product many times , they are quite good over a long period of time , it takes quite a while for the seals and O rings to soften and swell , used long term in a GS I believe it will help the O rings on the drain tubes.

It will not help at all in the space of a weekend , but put it in anyway and maybe next time you start her ypu get an inprovement , does not cost much more then the oil you would put in.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

My thoughts are also summed up in the last two posts.

I feel it is a bit of a waste of time in the short term but if it is the drain tube O-rings that have shrunk and hardened causing the leak, and if the additive causes no other ill effects such as depositing onto engine parts or blocking pathways, then it may be worth a try especially if it takes some time getting the engine out. It won't be driven again over such a distance but I may need to start it up occasionally. It could be interesting to see if it improves the leakage in a sciencey sort of way

Waiting for the......."don't touch this stuff it will destroy the engine in a flaming inferno" post However I shouldn't joke, I'm considering driving an almost 40 year old car that's leaking oil onto a hot exhaust Perhaps I must pack a thick towel to put on the drivers seat for any fluids that might leak out of me in the case of an unknown number of wotifs......

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

1/2 a litre is a pretty good amount. Just how far are you travelling? If you're worried about an oil fire, wouldn't having it flatbedded make some sense? Run the car only enough to get it out of the garage and onto the flatbed, and then off and into the new spot.

I don't think you'll damage the engine with the stop-leak, 'specially because you've hinted at resealing it in the future before driving it again. I just don't know what good it will do you on such a short term drive.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

It may be an idea to ascertain where it is actually leaking from. Many moons ago I looked at a GS, on the driveway at home to give it a once over, it was noted that it was actually haemorrhaging oil from the split in the case. So it may just be a case of loose nuts, which left unattended create even more issues down the track......
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thanks guys. I ended up getting the GS home from the storage shed, some 40kms without much drama. Oddly enough the wheel nuts were loose on one of the front wheels which I assumed was the worn cv joint....until it got really noisy and I pulled over to see (lucky I did as I was about to loose a nut).

The oil did leak as usual but not excessively. I prepared 10L of water and a wet blanket in front just in case of fire but it was fine.

Simon asks where is it leaking from.......everywhere!! There are spots of oil from one side of the engine to the other with some LHM mixed in for good measure. Now it's at home in the carport and I have a cement floor to work on and a bench, I can start to pull the engine out and clean it all up and put new seals in and ensure everything is tightened up to the correct torque setting.

It was a fun drive though and I just love the roar of the boxer engine through the stainless exhaust.......now the GS and CX are side by side it makes selling the CX a little easier......but only a little. The C5 will have to be out in the weather for a couple of weeks but it will be ok.

In sprightlier days......

Thread Information