• Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Roger Wilkinson
  • 2 Post By mberry
  • 1 Post By badabec

Thread: D special: front end renewal

Fellow Frogger!

Default D special: front end renewal

I am just beginning preparations to dismantle the front end of my d special.

The main purpose, on the principal advice of DS motors, is as follows:

- remove and recondition or replace the steering rack;
    - remove and replace the camshaft pulley (rivets are worn);
    - replace camshaft oil seal (weeping);
    - replace steel LHM line between the HP pump and regulator (ends weeping).

Secondary purpose is a general clean up of hard to get to areas, including steering arms, suspension linkage, etc. Plus aesthetic items such as blasting and repainting cross bars, air filter housing, wheel brace, and the like. Whilst I am at it, I am guessing that it would be timely to flush the radiator, replace water pump & radiator hoses, flush and clean LHM tank, replace things like belts and speedo cable housing etc etc.

I am planning for the week of 2-9 July to mess around on this. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have even dreamed of tackling this myself. But I have been much encouraged by others.

One question I have is the camshaft oil seal. I have assumed this is the seal behind the pulley. But then both DS motors and Paris motors have mentioned that this is a "gearbox out" job and it would make sense to wait until the clutch needs replacing before doing it. I don't understand this suggestion. Can anyone explain (in layman's language)?

Also, is there anything else I should be considering? Am I mad???

AM

Advertisement
    Last edited by ajaxvte; 10th June 2016 at 09:42 AM. Reason: correct terminology!

If your rack is original, I would have a darned good look at it before swapping for a reconditioned unit. You may be exchanging a better prospect for refurbishment, than anything received. Plus, it helps keep the car more original...

I'd also allow more time if you are outsourcing the blast and paint. Any replating of fasteners can potentially affect your timeframe too.

When you say "main fly wheel" I am thinking you really mean "camshaft pulley", since you say you think the camshaft oil seal is behind it. The camshaft pulley is nowhere near heavy enough to act as a flywheel.

When talking of engines, the "flywheel" is inside the bellhousing between the engine and the gearbox. It is big and heavy and the clutch is bolted to it. You cannot see any of it without some dismantling.

Yes, replacing the camshaft oil seal is a "gearbox out job". It sits between engine and bellhousing. The bellhousing is attached to the gearbox and comes out with it. A weeping seal is not a major problem. May as well wait until the clutch needs replacement and you have to remove the gearbox anyway.

Roger
    UFO likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    When you say "main fly wheel" I am thinking you really mean "camshaft pulley", since you say you think the camshaft oil seal is behind it. The camshaft pulley is nowhere near heavy enough to act as a flywheel.

When talking of engines, the "flywheel" is inside the bellhousing between the engine and the gearbox. It is big and heavy and the clutch is bolted to it. You cannot see any of it without some dismantling.

Yes, replacing the camshaft oil seal is a "gearbox out job". It sits between engine and bellhousing. The bellhousing is attached to the gearbox and comes out with it. A weeping seal is not a major problem. May as well wait until the clutch needs replacement and you have to remove the gearbox anyway.

Roger
    Yes I do mean camshaft pulley, apologies. So I'll leave the oil seal until the day the clutch needs doing.

And the steering rack is being reconditioned by Roger Parker. An internal leak means that the HP cycle time is down to 3-5 seconds. I have eliminated other possible causes.

Roger has offered to do a "swap" on a unit he has reconditioned. Is the view here that I should have him recondition the existing unit rather than do a swap? The only downside is time, which isn't really an issue.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

So what's going on with the cam pulley? Are the rivets showing some looseness?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    So what's going on with the cam pulley? Are the rivets showing some looseness?
    yes they are, according to the experts...

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    yes they are, according to the experts...
    Yah, you're smart to fix that now. Continued wear just makes things sloppy and eventually fail. Probably wouldn't wreck the motor itself (you'll definitely hear it and shut the motor down ASAP), but the amount of ancillary damage if that pulley lets go at speed would be catastrophic.

What was the suggested fix?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

If your doing the camshaft seal - just pull the whole lot out.

Everything will be easier, you can do a proper job with the satisfaction that comes from that, and it will be cheaper in the long run.

Everything can be cleaned up and made tickety boo...

Addo's comments are very wise - if your car is low mileage your rack might be a good base for a reseal job - however, I would pay the $ and get a Citrotech rack if you are replacing it - a reseal job costs over $1000 with no guarantee really - whereas the Citrotech rack (twice that) has all the wearing components replaced so is almost a guaranteed result.

Cheers,

Mark...

Default go for it Alistair

Plenty of good advice here, Addo's and Marks thoughts re steering rack, I'll second that, given your car has modest mileage. I have seen steering racks continue to leak after having been resealed. The CitroTech racks seem to be the ultimate solution, but, they're $2k + freight. I would have Roger do your rack and return it.
    Starter motor? You may as well, while everything is out. I have seen a few starter clutch gear NOS parts on ebay recently, they may not be around for long, they are getting scarce.
    Easy access to park brakes while you're in there.
    I ran that "Liquid Intelligence" engine cooling system cleaner, while I was at it, it did what it said on the label.
    The help line was great, I actually spoke to the chap that developed the stuff, it's bound to have it's detractors, but, my experience was a good one and I could actually see the reaction of the 2 part system do exactly what was described. I don't think my car had that much scale etc, but I had a good deal of satisfaction from the process.
    Radiator Flush Kit | Engine Cooling System Cleaning Kit

I have a very neat tool for pulling the ball joints and another for the steering arms if you want to borrow them, beautiful tools I can highly recommend.

I'm back home on the 7th July, if I can help. Keep in mind the Euro finals will be on that week.
    Having done it recently, here is a little inspiration. I used a dry brush technique with POR-15 on the chassis that simulated the original satin crinkle finish pretty well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D special: front end renewal-img_3404.jpg   D special: front end renewal-img_6284.jpg  
    Last edited by mberry; 10th June 2016 at 11:05 PM.
    ajaxvte and Hotrodelectric like this.

Quote "I am planning for the week of 2-9 July to mess around on this. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have even dreamed of tackling this myself. But I have been much encouraged by others."

As long as you mean 2nd July 2016 and 9th July 2017 you'll be OK. The whole procedure is straightforward, just long winded and possibly expensive.

Good luck
    UFO likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Quote "I am planning for the week of 2-9 July to mess around on this. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have even dreamed of tackling this myself. But I have been much encouraged by others."

As long as you mean 2nd July 2016 and 9th July 2017 you'll be OK. The whole procedure is straightforward, just long winded and possibly expensive.

Good luck
    Well, yes. The week of 2 July was more to start things rather than also finish. I suspect it will be the rest of the winter before I drive the car away again....

Am I mad???

You own a Citroen...
    Say no more.

Thread Information