The original citroen DS book
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The original citroen DS book

Fellow Frogger!

Default The original citroen DS book

I have been looking around to buy a copy without success ( at what I think is a reasonable price ) but I managed to borrow one.
    If anyone is interested The Bathurst regional library has a copy which can be obtained through a inter-library loan at a cost of $4.50. From memory the only other place in Aust that had a copy to borrow was the QLD state library. Loan is for 3 weeks only with no time extensions available under this system. For me it was well worth doing to see the book before committing to purchase as it is an expensive book. cheers Dave

Advertisement
    Just a duckin' & a weavin'

Quote Originally Posted by Halfbrick View Post
    I have been looking around to buy a copy without success ( at what I think is a reasonable price ) but I managed to borrow one.
    If anyone is interested The Bathurst regional library has a copy which can be obtained through a inter-library loan at a cost of $4.50. From memory the only other place in Aust that had a copy to borrow was the QLD state library. Loan is for 3 weeks only with no time extensions available under this system. For me it was well worth doing to see the book before committing to purchase as it is an expensive book. cheers Dave
    There is a paperback copy on Ebay UK $200.00 buy it now. . .
    Original Citroen DS: The Restorer's Guide (Original..., John Reynolds 076032901X 9780760329016 | eBay

If the link doesn't work item #351749532588

Possibly still on the high side but much better than what I've seen recently. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    There is a paperback copy on Ebay UK $200.00 buy it now. . .
    Original Citroen DS: The Restorer&apos;s Guide (Original..., John Reynolds 076032901X 9780760329016 | eBay

If the link doesn't work item #351749532588

Possibly still on the high side but much better than what I've seen recently. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    That's not too much more than I paid for mine (hardbound, but no dust jacket). There's one seller on eBay that's been trying to sell a copy (new allegedly) for 500.00 US over the last several months.

Halfbrick: Is the book what you thought it would be? Between it and NuancierDS, it's a hell of a reference source.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    That's not too much more than I paid for mine (hardbound, but no dust jacket).
    Bill, you should have sung out, let me know your mailing address (PM) and I'll send you a new improved dust jacket. . . least I can do for all your help here

Cheers
    Chris
    Kenfuego likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Fellow Frogger!

Sounds like that books going to look seriously smart.....I was lucky enough to have bought a hard bound copy when it first came out. I know it's got a few errors here and there (a friend over here helped proof read it) but my copy is seriously thumbed. I love all that variation and detail stuff. I use it as a source of reference and a source of inspiration when i just want to remind myself why a D is so damn special. My only regret? Not snapping up a cheap spare copy when it was re-published in soft back. Prices are silly all over again.

As well as referring to my every handy 'Original' book, i will also be taking copious under bonnet photos at this weekends D rally in the UK to help with my 1968 project. Can't wait. There are a couple of other Gris Palladium 68s that turn up - belonging to Dan and Les and they kindly indulge me.
    GreenBlood likes this.

Fellow Frogger

Checking at Abebooks, which always a good place to begin ...
    Original Citroen Ds - AbeBooks
    usually turns up a few copies in different languages and formats.
    There's a good saving if you can work with the non-English versions!

I wish the vendor with the paperback copay at US $2,419.69 well. It seems almost unfair to ask for another US $8.56 for postage and I'd bet you'd be asked for extra postage costs too.

1000+ Posts

I sold mine to Greenblood for $2,419 but with free postage.

I have the equivalent book for the Mini Cooper and Cooper S too. But this is not quite the same quality of car...albeit still a favourite of mine.
    GreenBlood likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    and I love you for it, bargain and referenced almost daily - BTW the cheques in the mail. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post

I have the equivalent book for the Mini Cooper and Cooper S too. But this is not quite the same quality of car...albeit still a favourite of mine.
    AUD?? Almost a third off then!

It's strange how some of these books are almost unwanted, yet the DS book and a few others have high values. The Morris Minor isn't worth much, which Jag XK and some Ferrari books are worth a bit. Is it being cruel to suggest it's proportional to the Morry's worth??? How does that then explain the inverse price/value situation with your typical D? The colour production quality of the paperback is not quite up to that of the hardback. You see it particularly with the pea soup green ID.

1000+ Posts

I'm happy that it went to a real fan, Chris. I love the D, but I think you need to be an owner to properly get full worth from that book.

The Mini one has as it's example of a Mk3 Cooper S one that is identical to the one I once owned, so that's different...

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    AUD?? Almost a third off then!

It's strange how some of these books are almost unwanted, yet the DS book and a few others have high values.
    Or is it a feeding frenzy? Don't forget these are only asking prices. Maybe to gauge their price a seller looks around at other examples on sale and sets theirs similar or higher. Before you know it asking prices are so high that only Chris can afford to buy the copies I still think he could recoup his costs by selling those custom dust jackets though.......

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    Or is it a feeding frenzy? Don't forget these are only asking prices. Maybe to gauge their price a seller looks around at other examples on sale and sets theirs similar or higher. Before you know it asking prices are so high that only Chris can afford to buy the copies I still think he could recoup his costs by selling those custom dust jackets though.......
    Awww, that's nice of you to say so. . .

No takers so far, mberry has the one and only and that was gifted. . . I would have thought after spending in excess of $50,000 restoring their DS, owners would jump at a chance to have a custom dust jacket, or a nice bright shiny copy of the original cover.

For those that missed the thread, I got my monies worth with HRE's reaction
    MBerry's cars featured Original Citroen DS

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger

... asking prices are so high that only Chris can afford to buy the copies I still think he could recoup his costs by selling those custom dust jackets though.......
    ... and blue triangles. Everyone needs a few of those.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    ... and blue triangles. Everyone needs a few of those.
    urrrm yeah. . .

I think I'll list the dust jackets on ebay as 'expression of interest only' that marketing ploy appears to be a winner

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

Halfbrick: Is the book what you thought it would be?
    Actually it's not, that doesn't mean I was disappointed just that it was not what I was expecting. I guess I thought it was going to have lots of detailed photos of problem areas & how to fix them etc etc etc. That said it is an excellent book which (as said in Stuey's post) I will appreciate more when I get the safari on the road as my experience with D's to date is, "never owned one before, never driven one, had a ride in one once". cheers Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Halfbrick View Post
    Halfbrick: Is the book what you thought it would be?
    Actually it's not, that doesn't mean I was disappointed just that it was not what I was expecting. I guess I thought it was going to have lots of detailed photos of problem areas & how to fix them etc etc etc. That said it is an excellent book which (as said in Stuey's post) I will appreciate more when I get the safari on the road as my experience with D's to date is, "never owned one before, never driven one, had a ride in one once". cheers Dave
    Dave, for tips, tricks and where to source bits and pieces get a copy of Charles Vyse "Goddess" which actually follows a rebuild.

'Original Citroen DS' is more a reference for how things were when the cars rolled off the production line - a great reference but only when keeping things original is high on your list of priorities.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Chris, I have purchased a copy of "Goddess" which is great, (printed to order & delivered in just over a week, Fantastic) plus the OWM Citroen 19-23 workshop manual which was given to me (thanks Doug) an original Citroen repair manual #8142 which came with the car & an Autopress manual covering the DS / ID 19 from 1955 to 1966 which is not applicable to my car but you never know what might sneak into the shed when the boss is not looking. Actually, I think I've got enough books, just not enough time. cheers Dave
    GreenBlood likes this.

Sounds like that books going to look seriously smart.....I was lucky enough to have bought a hard bound copy when it first came out. I know it's got a few errors here and there (a friend over here helped proof read it) but my copy is seriously thumbed. I love all that variation and detail stuff. I use it as a source of reference and a source of inspiration when i just want to remind myself why a D is so damn special. My only regret? Not snapping up a cheap spare copy when it was re-published in soft back. Prices are silly all over again.

As well as referring to my every handy 'Original' book, i will also be taking copious under bonnet photos at this weekends D rally in the UK to help with my 1968 project. Can't wait. There are a couple of other Gris Palladium 68s that turn up - belonging to Dan and Les and they kindly indulge me.
    Looking forward to seeing the copious photos posted here for reference.

SF
    GreenBlood likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by ScotFrog View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the copious photos posted here for reference.
    SF
    Well the UK D rally was great but the weather on Sunday put a few people off. Saturday was fine and thirty plus Ds went on a convoy run to a local Rothschild 'chateau' at Waddesdon. Sunday started wet and that deterred a few drivers I'm sure. I looked at it differently: i advised my mate Richard to use the opportunity to look for roof leaks.... Despite the rain there were again more than 30 Ds there - including two genuine Decaps and a car that had been imported to the UK from NSW! Also there was that very expensive, nothing-spared rebuild of a 74. I THINK i heard it cost £100K? Has anyone else heard that? It's the one build from all new parts that a dealer salted away back in the day. The dealer built one or two cars from himself and had a load of bits left over... the current owner sourced all new parts and finished the project. looks absolutely immaculate - like a new car. Registration is '1974 DS' unless thats just a show plate? I've seen a Dutch website showing blow by blow pictures of the resoration.

Darrin and Kristina from Citroen Classics were on hand and i picked up my pre-ordered engine rebuild bits. No excuses not to start now..... His boys spent most of the Sunday playing with my daughter and I nearly ended up taking them home! A couple of people were selling old and salvaged parts and i picked up a NOS height corrector for £10! There were two and i should have bought both! The weather meant that not many doors and bonnets were left open - and only one of the 68s i wanted to see turned up - so Ii didn't get to take many pictures, but i think this one sums up the weekend quite nicely.

The original citroen DS book-img_4011.jpg

I'm already looking forward to next years!
    JohnW and GreenBlood like this.

Join the your local Citroen club. I would be surprised if the club library does not have one in stock they can lend you for a period for nothing. Ditto the Goddess book but that is better for pulling apart and putting back together. Also should have a range of factory manuals that are very handy at times. Spend your money on bits and pieces.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Glad I managed to get the last one in stock in Brisbane for $75 then...

I got the last one for less than $50 from one of "the usual suspects ". A week later he called me and tried to buy it back. Hell no!

I found a first edition hardback with slightly tattered dustcover edges. Seller was a local library and it had been taken out only a few times over its lifetime. I thought $30 was an outrageous price and snapped it up then and there. No I do not want to sell for double...
    GreenBlood likes this.
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

GreenBlood likes this.

GreenBlood likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information