DS Suspension
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: DS Suspension

Fellow Frogger!

Default DS Suspension

Hi All,
    I have a DS 23 with all new spheres including main and brake accumulator. I was always under the impression that after the car has been running a while and with the engine switch off that if I sat on the edge of the boot or front bumper that there would be enough pressure to bring the car back to normal height. This is not happening, heights are set correctly etc. Am I missing something??
    (I'm only 12 stone so should be easy to lift!!)

Cheers,
    Ed

Advertisement

I thought that only applied to Xantiś and XMs with anti-sink valves.

I doubt that would be the case. The only time you might feel the car rise with the engine off is when you fill with fuel. My CX never does this but our Xantia does most of the time. The two main source of pressure leaks, brake valve and power steering would have to be in as new condition for it ever to happen, if it ever did happen in new Ds. Over to the majority tragics.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

A good accumulator sphere would certainly help My Ds respond when seating on the edge of the boot

In a worn DS hydraulic leaks are everywhere. Height correctors, suspension cylinders, brake valve, rotating union in the steering. And most of them are worn. New spheres will not fix this. If that is your only problem then I don't think you have a problem at all.

All the DSes I have had have been too worn to do that truck. My XMs have done it, but they are newer and have extra valving features to help them do it. I do enjoy seeing them sink then rise when I fuel them up.

Roger

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Roger, I vaguely remember my dad back in the 70s sitting on the boot edge to check the accumulator, and the car coming up after a few seconds.
    Anyway I'll be happy with it as it is. Car stayed up for about 16 hours so that's good enough for me!

Cheers,
    Ed

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Absolutely right. All DS's when newer would rise to normal ride height even if the engine was off. They would do that for a formidable number of hours.
    I worked in a multi level valet carpark in the heart of Paris in late 70's and drove dozens if not hundreds of them., DSpecials to DS23, they all did the trick.

If they don't do it now, the leaks everywhere are responsible.
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 8th June 2016 at 07:57 PM.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Be sure your spheres are correctly charged. There are people who cannot diagnose a flat tire and they happen to have charging equipment. Just because you had it done, doesn't always mean it was done right.

And, for the benefit of those who fvck up a lot of stuff, there are some variables in the recharging equation and they really like to talk about them.

It's best to recharge only spheres with a known history. Beware the box with the freshly painted spheres that were sent to you. Are they yours? Or are they something that came from someone's bone pile?

There are people who get it right every time, and then there are the other guys. Problem is, the other guys don't even know it is them so they blunder on.

skp
    Fellow Frogger!

When new, this was the case. It relies on a well charged Accumulator sphere, regardless of the condition of the rest of the suspension.
    In practise, wear develops within the suspension cylinders and the height correctors and the response becomes limited - but should still work. It may take up to 10 seconds to re-set.
    Make sure your accumulator is well charged.

skp

Thread Information