• 3 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By Richard W
  • 1 Post By Roger Wilkinson
  • 2 Post By badabec
  • 1 Post By Greg C
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: H-Van - Arriving soon in Sydney

Default H-Van - Arriving soon in Sydney

Ive recently started working with Underground Coffee Roasters in Sydney.
    In October last year we commissioned a H-Van restoration over in the UK.
    I am pleased to announce that the van in now on the water and will be arriving in Australia in a few weeks.
    Once in Australia the van will be kitted out as our mobile coffee command unit.

http://www.undergroundcoffeeroasters.com.au

Advertisement

H-Van - Arriving soon in Sydney-photo-3-06-2016-11-11-19-am.jpgH-Van - Arriving soon in Sydney-photo-11-02-2016-5-15-30-pm.jpgH-Van - Arriving soon in Sydney-photo-11-02-2016-5-15-42-pm.jpgH-Van - Arriving soon in Sydney-photo-31-03-2016-7-45-26-pm.jpgH-Van - Arriving soon in Sydney-photo-22-05-2016-1-07-05-pm.jpgH-Van - Arriving soon in Sydney-photo-22-05-2016-1-06-17-pm.jpgH-Van - Arriving soon in Sydney-photo-22-05-2016-1-12-02-pm.jpgH-Van - Arriving soon in Sydney-photo-22-05-2016-1-06-20-pm.jpg
    Bad Bertie, SLC206, Ken W and 4 others like this.
    2004 CitroŽn C2
    1981 CitroŽn CX 2400 GTI
    1956 Carapark Ten-Nine

How did restoration costs stack up in terms of UK vs Australia? Are there better resources for H-vans there?

1000+ Posts

I confess to being besotted by H-vans. The only one I've ever seen in the metal is the grey one in the automobile museum in Launceston. Looking at it makes me wish that Citroen would do a reproduction that was very faithful to its external appearance. And if that would involve no stars for safety, then so be it. Having no stars is legal &, in this case, would, I suspect, be no deterrent to sales.

cheers! Peter
    CTR03N and JohnW like this.

Just to keep folk happy. Seen at Prescott Hillclimb in England last weekend, with collection of Velosolex (Very Sore Legs) devices.

Wonderful vans...

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails H-Van - Arriving soon in Sydney-p5290024.jpg  
    CXVingtCinq, CTR03N and addo like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

My hope was that my H van would stay with me as my last CitroŽn. Alas, it was not to be and it went to the UK to be restored. IMHO the best vehicle ever conceived in the CitroŽn stable. I believe it was the first one to be designed to meet the requests from surveys of potential customers.
    CTR03N likes this.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Although it was cheaper to get restored in the UK, the decision was mostly motivated by timeframe. The workshop that restored our H-Van is dedicated to their restoration and conversion. They have a large number of panels ready to fit as well as refurbished motors ready to drop in.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    How did restoration costs stack up in terms of UK vs Australia? Are there better resources for H-vans there?
    2004 CitroŽn C2
    1981 CitroŽn CX 2400 GTI
    1956 Carapark Ten-Nine

1000+ Posts

Default Why only pander to coffee adicts !

Hi
    I too have been a closet dreamer about H vans. And if I won the lottery one might be the first in the new fleet. However the current crop of H vans seem to have been comandered by the yuppies and the yuppie coffee providers merely for their sexy look and ignores their on road virtues.
    Fashion is fickle so in a few years time when the new trend hits the streets we will be able to snap them up to drive
    I have seen one on the road locally in Patterson that is fully mobile and driven. And have followed it for some Kms. Eat you heart out.
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Still quite a few active in Europe, although commonly going for the yuppie coffee/snack trade, for which they seem well suited

Saw very nice one in Lisbon a while ago. Suspect that quite a few around in countries in which cash has been short - cheap, practical, serviceable vehicles tend to have a long life

The one in Lisbon did cause lustful thoughts, but Jan was with me and I want to remain married. " It's butt ugly! What would you want a thing like that for?!!!"

Explanation that it would have 101 handy uses around the home got little traction ( Avant or otherwise )

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    I too have been a closet dreamer about H vans. And if I won the lottery one might be the first in the new fleet. However the current crop of H vans seem to have been comandered by the yuppies and the yuppie coffee providers merely for their sexy look and ignores their on road virtues.
    Fashion is fickle so in a few years time when the new trend hits the streets we will be able to snap them up to drive
    I have seen one on the road locally in Patterson that is fully mobile and driven. And have followed it for some Kms. Eat you heart out.
    Jaahn
    I think that the pejorative reference to "yuppies and the yuppie coffee providers" is unnecessary and inappropriate. If anything, I would have said it is more the "hipsters" driving this, but in either case why do you suppose that "old farts who like tinkering with mechanical things" are somehow morally superior? We should just rejoice that a business model exists at the moment that allows money to be spent to rescue and renew vehicles that might otherwise have been left to rot. As you say, if the fashion passes, the old farts like us will be left with the spoils of lots of vehicles that have had refurbishments that most of us could never have afforded to do ourselves.
    Last edited by Richard W; 6th June 2016 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Clarify that I include myself in the "old fart who likes tinkering" category

As a latte-drinking "semi old fart" should I be twice as pleased or only half offended?
    Richard W, Peter O and jaahn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    As a latte-drinking "semi old fart" should I be twice as pleased or only half offended?
    I don't know. Either way, I would probably categorise myself the same way!

I just don't see that we should pillory someone because they have commissioned a restoration for the purposes of a coffee business, as though that is somehow evil or undesirable. But for this current trend, I doubt I would ever have the opportunity to see a working H Van in Aus so why would we complain?
    Trading Estate likes this.

Whoever drives the thing, be gentle with the gear lever. It's cast iron. I broke the gear lever clean off an H van once.

I have a marvellous 1950s French leaflet for an H van in agricultural trim. Photo shows a farmer smoking a ciggie and coaxing a cow into the back. The illustrations suggest you can fit 2 cows, or 8 to 10 pigs, or 25 to 30 sheep, or 6 to 8 calves in one. Part of me would like one for that purpose, but another part of me recognises that these days they are probably best left to the hipster baristas.

Roger
    okalford likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    . Photo shows a farmer smoking a ciggie and coaxing a cow into the back. The illustrations suggest you can fit 2 cows, or 8 to 10 pigs, or 25 to 30 sheep, or 6 to 8 calves in one. Part of me would like one for that purpose, but another part of me recognises that these days they are probably best left to the hipster baristas.

Roger
    These days you could probably fit 50+ illegal "Syrian" refugees from afghanistan into a big one - and tootle off to Germany !!!!
    Perhaps thats why they are so expensive?
    So many projects - so little time.

1000+ Posts

The van in Paterson is also a mobile coffee van that graces many of the local "jollies". It is owned by a Citroen nut who is supposed to be restoring the front end on "Delphine", but the bastard buggered off to France, and isn't due back for a while.
    Bloody unreliable tradies!!

Hey I drive a CX due to the hip factor......and I am so close to being an old fart......lay off the peole who do these conversions for so called hip value as it keeps more on the road.....I ride british motor cycles and I get so angry when older riders around me attack the so called hipster brigade....fashion is good...it keeps old vehicles on the road

Plus when the fad for korfy fizzles the old farts can swoop in and load up on restored H vans!

What happens if the young chaps and chapettes decide it's unfashionable to have old/semi-old farts around?

Will we be pushed out like Eskimo grannies, onto the ice floes that come with the forecast global cooling?

As long as the coffee is good, I dont care what sort of van it comes out.

Hello, you'll need a piggy bank like this to buy an H van. If you're saving to restore one, you'll need a long wheel base version
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails H-Van - Arriving soon in Sydney-img_3476.jpg   H-Van - Arriving soon in Sydney-img_3477.jpg  
    addo and GreenBlood like this.

UFO

Good on you for bringing another Type H to Australia. I assume it will be coming in via Port Kembla. I will try to keep an eye out for it being transported (hopefully carefully) on a truck on my daily drive to and from work.

Any clue on the expected date of arrival and are you working with a shipping agent who can actually communicate with the "professional" quarantine car washers?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I know whos it is. He also has a 205 GTI6....

Great coffee

Dont be jealous that you cant do what you want.
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Coffee will never go out of fashion. I would be defined as an old fart and coffee is the drink of choice. Lets hope it provides coffee at the All French Car Day in Silverwater 2017.
    UFO likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

coffee van is the perfect use for a Hvan. They are to slow for country roads. However inner city traffic barely moves.... so speed isn't a factor. You could drive a Hvan around the city center selling coffee and never have a problem

I still havne't seen CAB55 yet... can't wait to see that on the roads. You think a Hvan is slow........... imagine one with a diesel engine That car would smell unique, coffee, unburnt diesel, leaking deisel .... it would be instantly recognisable by its stink
    FIVEDOOR likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information