Front guards-2nd nose.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gerrypro

Thread: Front guards-2nd nose.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Front guards-2nd nose.

I,ve been mucking about with late model D,s for nigh on 30 years but now I am assembling a 2,nd nose which was a 5 trailer case.The issue is fitting and removing the front guards, the bumper is in the way,looks like I will have to remove it.Please tell me I am missing something here,I want it to be as simple as a 3,rd nose.
    Woody

Advertisement

From my memory, the second nose guards should bolt on without any interference from the front bumper!
    GreenBlood likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    I,ve been mucking about with late model D,s for nigh on 30 years but now I am assembling a 2,nd nose which was a 5 trailer case.The issue is fitting and removing the front guards, the bumper is in the way,looks like I will have to remove it.Please tell me I am missing something here,I want it to be as simple as a 3,rd nose.
    Woody
    Very much the same as 3rd nose. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front guards-2nd nose.-2nd-nose-front-guard.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Default 2,nd nose

I hope this illustrates my problem,the geometry is quite different to the 3,rd nose.Front guards-2nd nose.-dsc_0009.jpg

Yes I see your problem? The guard has to be lifted to clear the bumper. Did you undo the fixing in the wheel arch just near the front of the outer panel roll? Unless this is undone the guard will not be able to be lifted! It fixes with TWO main bolts! The one that can be seen in the picture and the one under the front wheel arch!
    Cheers Gerry

Icon3

I hope this illustrates my problem,the geometry is quite different to the 3,rd nose.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	85241
    Something not quite right there for sure Brian, have a look and compare pics.

In the second pic you can see the guard has plenty of room to be moved sideways and lifted (same as 3rd nose) your guard appears to be locked between the bumper and mount and would have no sideways movement? I can't tell from your image but is it possible you have modified 1st nose guards? Sounds crazy, but look at the pressing and shape of the front on the guards

Edit: Pic of 1st nose. . . looks very much like your guard, I'm guessing you have 1st. nose guards and bonnet

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front guards-2nd nose.-ist-nose-guard.jpg   Front guards-2nd nose.-2nd-nose-front-guard1.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Different bumper brackets, perchance?

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Chris,My guards have air inlets below the headlamps,you can just see them in my pic.However they could have been modified,who knows?
    Woody

Icon3

Thanks Chris,My guards have air inlets below the headlamps,you can just see them in my pic.However they could have been modified,who knows?
    Woody
    It's a Citroen puzzle, I love Citroen puzzles

If we go back to your original question, 1st. 2nd. and 3rd. nose front guards can be removed without removing the bumper.

I ask myself why would someone modify a 1st. nose guard to accommodate the fresh air vent (no mean feat) but not make the required allowance for clearance at the bumper, by the looks of it a fairly straightforward modification (the angled profile with the marks in your picture would only need bending back to give you sufficient sideways movement to lift the guard - or am I missing something).

Maybe a long shot of your guard will give more clues (1st. and 2nd. nose guards are quite different apart from those fresh air vents).

I don't think you can fit a 1st. front bonnet to 2nd. front guards so it may provide clues (I'll stand corrected), the bend at the screen end will be different to accommodate the clapping hand style wipers which would be a giveaway.

All that aside, looks like a small modification should have you with guards that can easily be removed and fitted.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger

That type of corner shown by Woody is certainly present on other cars and on guards that do not have the air intake. The 1st nose guards will fit a 2nd nose front end - I have seen a 2nd nose car (c1963) with a mismatched set! I'd be guessing that the factory initially just added the vent plus a later change to make it simpler to remove the guard. Is it not possible to initially move it up and inward at the same time until the guard can be lifted up at the front to clear the bar. Perhaps, lay some fabric on the bar to protect it and the paint?

I still wonder if the bumper brackets are not the right ones. Nice attention to detail on that grey metallic car.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I still wonder if the bumper brackets are not the right ones. Nice attention to detail on that grey metallic car.
    The brackets are correct for a 2nd. nose, the guards are definitely suspect. . .

First nose bracket

Second nose bracket

Third nose bracket

Adam if you enjoy this level of detail in restorations spend a few hours here >>http://www.citrothello.net/<<

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front guards-2nd nose.-1st-nose-bumper-bracket.jpg   Front guards-2nd nose.-2nd-nose-bumper-bracket.jpg   Front guards-2nd nose.-3rd-nose-bumper-bracket.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

Default 2,nd nose

After a discreet bit of filing I have mover the bumper forward about 10mm. Removing a corner from the guard now enables me to remove and replace it OK.
    WoodyFront guards-2nd nose.-yellow-002.jpgFront guards-2nd nose.-yellow-001.jpg

Front guards are never easy to remove and replace. There always seems to be a bit of fiddling and jiggling required. On my 1959 DS19 I have to loosen the right side bonnet catch lever so the guard slips around trhe bumper. Brian's guard is definitely second nose. My suspicion lies with the carrier for the rubber over-rider not sitting properly over the bumper.

Roger

Icon12

After a discreet bit of filing I have mover the bumper forward about 10mm. Removing a corner from the guard now enables me to remove and replace it OK.
    WoodyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Yellow 002.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	85374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yellow 001.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	85375
    Well done Brian, however you get there does the job - they are second nose guards, I wonder if there were changes as the pressing is quite different to the silver '67 Pallas guard I posted a pic of

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for your support guys.now I am having trouble with the headlamp mountings-more later.
    Woody

Thread Information