• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Andy N
  • 1 Post By Greg C
  • 1 Post By Andy N

Thread: New CitroŽn suspension....more clues

Default New CitroŽn suspension....more clues

From a link on CX facebook page. This is a Google translated page from french.......sorry the translation is clunky from French to English so for those who fully understand French I apologise, I'm sure you can find the page. Looks like a prototype damping system being tested on the Cactus model.....so doesn't look like Bose or other advanced system but may give quite a good ride.......of course never as good as a well sorted DS or CX! https://translate.google.com.au/tran...-text=&act=url

Advertisement
    CXVingtCinq and Jinandfonic like this.

1000+ Posts

I'm chuckling over what the translator did to aux chevrons. Ditto the chooks.

PS Original untranslated article is at http://automobile.challenges.fr/doss...de-retour.html
    Last edited by seasink; 3rd June 2016 at 01:33 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

I guess ride quality remains to be seen, or rather, felt. A return to the soft seats of yesteryear sounds like a god idea.

Fellow Frogger!

Here's another take on the stroy as it unfolds

Citroen Progressive Hydraulic Cushions Replace Hydropneumatic Suspension

Fellow Frogger!

Steve Cropley has sampled it already!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...nventí-comfort

There are things it won't be able to do that Hydro+ can, but given this will be on all models I think this sounds like great news.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

Quote Originally Posted by leithant View Post
    Steve Cropley has sampled it already!

New cars news | Autocar

There are things it won't be able to do that Hydro+ can, but given this will be on all models I think this sounds like great news.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    It reads well, doesn't it. Thanks for posting.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

More coverage:

LES COULISSES DE LA TECHNOLOGIE CITROEN ADVANCED COMFORT
    AU VOLANT DU PROTOTYPE CITROEN ADVANCED COMFORT

Shaping up well by the looks of it, and if it spreads comfy suspension to cheaper models, that has to be a good thing...

Quote Originally Posted by MELso View Post
    More coverage:

LES COULISSES DE LA TECHNOLOGIE CITROEN ADVANCED COMFORT
    AU VOLANT DU PROTOTYPE CITROEN ADVANCED COMFORT

Shaping up well by the looks of it, and if it spreads comfy suspension to cheaper models, that has to be a good thing...
    A very good thing I reckon. I haven't ridden in a Cactus (yet) but haven't forgotten the profound shock when I drove in a Xsara Picasso across France having previously been using my Xantia every day. Horrible ride. Be nice if they got it right. For Europe, the cars must handle at 140 kph or more of course, unlike our sedate driving.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

The thing missing and mentioned in the first comment to the article is self levelling. We used to have cars, particularly french ones, dragging their arses along the road when loaded with family and holiday luggage. Cropley should have got all the Citroen executives into the Cactus and a few bags of cement in the boot and then see how it went.
    citroenut likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

It appears to be all over the world wide interweb now...

Citroen technology promises a magic carpet ride for all | Drive | Malay Mail Online

Citroen Progressive Hydraulic Cushions Replace Hydropneumatic Suspension

Hopefully it will trickle down to most models of PSA vehicles in a short time.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    The thing missing and mentioned in the first comment to the article is self levelling. We used to have cars, particularly french ones, dragging their arses along the road when loaded with family and holiday luggage. Cropley should have got all the Citroen executives into the Cactus and a few bags of cement in the boot and then see how it went.
    Also mentioned was some pitching back to front under braking.

This was another problem sorted out on the DS, SM, GS and CX models mainly due to clever geometry that inclined the front suspension arms to limit dive and also the way the rear would sometimes squat down (trailing arm effect or bleeding pressure off rear suspension to operate brakes, perhaps both but to what extent can be explained by somebody else).

A great example is my GS wagon which is light, has a wonderful ride, comfortable seats, height adjustment and self-levelling, and is almost impossible to get it to dive or pitch under hard braking on effective 4-wheel discs.......all in 1970. Looks like the Cactus is trying to reinvent a wheel already proven by a simple hydraulic-pneumatic-mechanical system that added less than 5% to the cost of production. Or maybe I am truly stuck in another era
    Jinandfonic likes this.

You're stuck with me at least. I agree on the cost issue and do not believe it can't be economically added to a small car. The GS is the example. Another thing which will need attention is the handbrake. Citroens have the handbrake on the front wheels for a good reason. With soft suspension having it on the back wheels causes issues. Even on firm suspended cars, like my Prius the car moves a bit after you take your foot off the footbrake but try a Pug 306 on a steep slope.

Another advantage will be with an electric car. You need to supply some force to help the brakes and power steering. The Hydropneumatic system integrates that all into one system and gives self levelling to aid aerodynamics. Even the Prius has a pump and accumulator for the brakes.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

1000+ Posts

My Citroens have rear handbrakes. The odd rise you mention is from trailing arm lever action.

I think there would be few on here that would dispute the merits of hydropneumatic.

However, unlike luxury cars, a 5% cost difference can mean life or death in the marketplace because (sadly) punters buy largely on price alone in that sector. As such, if they can come up with a system of comfy suspension that can be affordably deployed in the superminis and other buzzboxes that now seem to be where Citroen's 'brand' is to be positioned, then they could be on a winner.

Those of use who value technical sophistication though will have to hold out for the rumoured 'DS' active suspension that's due in 2018 per DS poised to introduce innovative new suspension system in 2018 | Autocar
    2011 Citroen C5 - 'La Barge'

Thread Information