Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By mberry
  • 1 Post By badabec
  • 3 Post By David S

Thread: Lucas rear light parts DS

Default Lucas rear light parts DS

Guys, Some time ago IIRC some kind soul posted a link to an overseas vendor who sold parts for the Lucas rear light set found on some DS's....I can't seem to find it?...can anyone help...
    Many thanks,
    Mark...

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Mark,I got a new red lens for mine a couple of months ago I simply Googled the Lucas part no and found a vendor in the UK.
    Woody

1000+ Posts

The complete Automobilist in the UK used to stock all those lucas lamps and parts, I bought some years back while I was over there, but probably quite expensive. The used to have an illustrated catalogue.

try https://www.completeautomobilist.com/

https://www.completeautomobilist.com...side-rear-rear These were some of the ones I purchased - see they are in the 54GB pounds range now.

Ken
    Last edited by Kenfuego; 30th May 2016 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Add links

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Guys, Some time ago IIRC some kind soul posted a link to an overseas vendor who sold parts for the Lucas rear light set found on some DS's....I can't seem to find it?...can anyone help...
    Many thanks,
    Mark...
    This US ebay seller has some nice bits and pieces but ouch!! He's certainly not giving stuff away. . .
    Citroen DS Lucas Tail Light OR Turn Signal Complete Unit | eBay

Edit: Note the price is per item not two units

Another, still silly money. . .
    Citroen DS Cabriolet DS Coupe Chapron Lucas 538 | eBay

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Steve (Citroenfan) pointed out to me a couple of years ago that the lamps are also available from the people who sell bits and pieces for AC Cobra replicas. This one, for example.
    GreenBlood likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Steve (Citroenfan) pointed out to me a couple of years ago that the lamps are also available from the people who sell bits and pieces for AC Cobra replicas. This one, for example.
    Looking at the US ebay link for the Citroen lucas lamp, the part number is L692 common on a range of British cars and readily available for a fraction of the cost.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Looking at the US ebay link for the Citroen lucas lamp, the part number is L692 common on a range of British cars and readily available for a fraction of the cost.

Cheers
    Chris
    I could see paying 25 or 35.00/per for those. But, those lamps are used (they present well, but they are used) and those aren't even factory lamps anyway. The factory lamps have pigtails. Those have Lucas bullet connectors. 135.00 each? Ummm, no.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger

The lamps with 4 little fins are a bit more pointy and were used on early Slough cars, but the flatter, smooth variety were used in the late 1960's and up to about 1971 on some cars. So they would be 'correct' for some later cars. Both are best found as Lucas items via the L reference for the part. I'd misread HRH's comment initially, so what I think he means is they are not Citroen lamps because they lack the factory pigtail, i.e. the wire with a socket on the end. You could make them work on the DS.

p.s. An original set of rear lamps would have L691 and L692 paired on each side. The markings are slightly different, but you couldn't tell from a few feet away. The difference appears to be that L691 takes a single filament and L692 is for a dual filament globe per comments here:
    http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7902
    The lenses are obviously interchangeable, but the bases will differ. Repro lenses look to have different marking to the original, but would obviously do the job.

Looking at the lamps Chris linked to again, they are L692 and have an E marking on the lens. However, the original used items I have to hand have only markings around the circumference of the conical bit and no E marking. Trainspotting, yes, but the E marking suggests they may be later production service items.
    Last edited by David S; 30th May 2016 at 09:34 PM.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    The lamps with 4 little fins are a bit more pointy and were used on early Slough cars, but the flatter, smooth variety were used in the late 1960's and up to about 1971 on some cars. So they would be 'correct' for some later cars. Both are best found as Lucas items via the L reference for the part. I'd misread HRH's comment initially, so what I think he means is they are not Citroen lamps because they lack the factory pigtail, i.e. the wire with a socket on the end. You could make them work on the DS.

p.s. An original set of rear lamps would have L691 and L692 paired on each side. The markings are slightly different, but you couldn't tell from a few feet away. The difference appears to be that L691 takes a single filament and L692 is for a dual filament globe per comments here:
    Lucas L691 and L692 rear lights
    The lenses are obviously interchangeable, but the bases will differ. Repro lenses look to have different marking to the original, but would obviously do the job.

Looking at the lamps Chris linked to again, they are L692 and have an E marking on the lens. However, the original used items I have to hand have only markings around the circumference of the conical bit and no E marking. Trainspotting, yes, but the E marking suggests they may be later production service items.
    You've been googling too

I think in my reading the 'E' marking had something to do with design rules (maybe ADR).

Looks like L538 - L539 were fitted 56 - 60 (the finned style) single and double filament
    2 X L538 Round RED Finned Tail Lights FOR Citroen DS19 1956 60 53533A B 53625A | eBay

L691 and L692 (park and stop lights) fitted thereafter
    NEW AUSTIN HEALEY STOP TAIL LAMPS LUCAS L692 | eBay

Darrin AF member DS has pics on his Flickr site

https://www.flickr.com/photos/epaves68/2471667165/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gfimages/4217097942/

Big saving as you say by buying as Lucas part numbers. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    David S likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger

Worth a look around: Lucas L691/L692 Lens Pair, New - Rogers Motors
    In the USA. They note the lens is not marked 'Lucas'.
    They have some NOS items, including some with pigtail wires.
    For the pedantic, newly plated repro bases with original lenses might look the part.
    Last edited by David S; 30th May 2016 at 10:34 PM.

how good is auusie frogs.
    ds21bvh likes this.

Almost as good as Aussiefrogs
    denxm likes this.

For the pedantic, newly plated repro bases with original lenses might look the part.
    Yes - how good is Aussiefrogs...!
    Many thanks to everyone for your input - I'm guessing the US site David has found is probably the best source...?
    I'm looking for a complete set - I used all my good ones on the 69.
    Cheers,
    Mark...

Fellow Frogger

I don't know anything about them Mark, but they have a useful selection of items at what seem fairly reasonable prices in USD and are probably worth trying. Maybe some of our US correspondents know of them or have dealt with them? Some of their inventory is not just the standard repro you find listed by various others. (e.g. reasonably priced original Lucas PL700 lamps, but for LHD only) If the lens markings are important to you, check before buying even their NOS items.

You could also have look at http://www.holden.co.uk in addition to the various eBay options.

Some helpful background on 'Lucas' parts is here:
    http://www.holden.co.uk/displayProdu...s&brandCode=X8
    Last edited by David S; 31st May 2016 at 10:45 AM.

Yah- those would be our turn signals. Our fronts were mounted on the front valance, just under the bumper. I heard somewhere that the front lenses were slightly different than the rears. I think that's the mounting ring though, not the lens itself. On our cars with backup lamps ('70 and later) our rear lamps per side were one red lens with an 1157 bulb and one white lens with an 1156 bulb. The lenses were all the same pattern and shape.

David S mentioned the 'finned' Lucas lenses. Those were with the US cars to 1969.5. Two lenses, each side. Oddly enough, the later amber lenses were used up front on all US D models from 1968.

At least, that's all what I think happened.

mnm

Fellow Frogger

Just looking at the used lamp assembly again and there is only one wire coming from each lamp and there is no dual filament globe socket in use. Here are some pictures. Rather crusty items, but it should become obvious there are a few differences to the L691/692 lamps on offer.

Lucas rear light parts DS-ds_l6912_f.jpgLucas rear light parts DS-ds_l6912_f2.jpgLucas rear light parts DS-ds_l6912_r.jpgLucas rear light parts DS-ds_l6912_s.jpg

I can't see any difference between the L691 and L692 lenses apart from the external markings and they can be swapped. Those pictured have no E marking. Note the small cutouts in the base to locate the lens face each other in the middle, meaning one lens will appear upside down if you look at the markings.

The bases started out as an item common to L691/692/764/765 and are same except the outer lamp has a smaller globe than the inner lamp and is stamped differently in the centre to accommodate that. The larger globe is recessed several mm. So, using the L691 and L692 terms will be a bit more generic that it seems at first and there would be different versions for different applications. I think what will be sold as L691 repro will just be the same metal pressings as L692 with the larger globe, but with only one contact for a single filament globe.

There may be no need for a dual filament L692 light, but it's not going to stop the L692 being used if you ignore the wire to the lower wattage filament. It might even be sensible to alter the wiring to make use of a dual filament globe on the inner tail light, giving an extra tail lamp plus the brighter stop lamp. Or you could likely fit a pair of L691 lights instead.

It looks like many of the lights on offer, even those supplied with wires, have a clip for the earth lead crimped on underneath. For the DS, they need to earth by being bolted to the mounting plate, which is then earthed to the body via the rear number plate housing. That earth clip will probably have to be cut off to get it through the hole in the mounting plate.

Thread Information