CX Turbo 2 Exhaust/Mufflers
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By laurie_lewis

Thread: CX Turbo 2 Exhaust/Mufflers

Default CX Turbo 2 Exhaust/Mufflers

Hi all,

Ran over a dead kangaroo in torrential rain last night and did some damage to the front muffler, getting a temp fix but will need to replace it. After a quick look not able to find the correct type of muffler so have a question if anyone can answer it.

The exhaust come off the header pipes and is 2" in diameter. Goes into the front muffler (broken) and comes out into 2 x 1.75" pipes before joining again into a 2" pipe into the rear muffler then the 2 pipes of different lengths that are the tail pipes.

The front muffler is obviously under the heat shield - no shielding after the muffler.

So is there any reason why it is designed that way? Can or should I replace the front muffler with a single in single out unit and change the pipes to 2" all the way through to the rear muffler? Will that be more restrictive than the current setup?

Not quite keen enough to go to the 6" drain pipes used by the young blokes on their turbos

Advertisement

All advice appreciated.

Laurie

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by laurie_lewis View Post
    Hi all,

Ran over a dead kangaroo in torrential rain last night and did some damage to the front muffler, getting a temp fix but will need to replace it. After a quick look not able to find the correct type of muffler so have a question if anyone can answer it.

The exhaust come off the header pipes and is 2" in diameter. Goes into the front muffler (broken) and comes out into 2 x 1.75" pipes before joining again into a 2" pipe into the rear muffler then the 2 pipes of different lengths that are the tail pipes.

The front muffler is obviously under the heat shield - no shielding after the muffler.

So is there any reason why it is designed that way? Can or should I replace the front muffler with a single in single out unit and change the pipes to 2" all the way through to the rear muffler? Will that be more restrictive than the current setup?

Not quite keen enough to go to the 6" drain pipes used by the young blokes on their turbos

All advice appreciated.

Laurie
    You can try anything. The distinctive drone of a CX turbo is all the exhaust. It seems to be tuned for the motor and has little to no muffling properties. eg: if you have one of the two tail pipes exiting the rear muffler fracture and fall off (which I have had happen several times) the car is at least 10times louder! ... I dont' understand how as we are talking one weeny little pipe after both of the mufflers !

Have you tried ebay uk, it, nl etc... netherlands appears to have a lot of older citroen parts!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: It's likely your local muffler store will be able to much up a universal single in twin out muffler.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Original style exhausts are very difficult to find nowadays. Even back 10 years ago when I managed to get that one for Shane's car they were very rare! Surely it should be possible to go to a custom manufacturer with the one from your car, and get them to make a new one from stainless steel? That way it will last for ever!
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

Got it welded up and the bloke said it should last a while as in good condition. Really glad of that as the next sentence was that all the generic ones were much bigger than the fitted muffler and would either not fit into the gap or would hang down a considerable distance more than the one fitted.

I really have the shits as I also found that the roo broke the front spoiler also. Broke all the bottom row of plastic joints that I spent hours fixing before I got it repainted. Could be worse. Spotted that it had pulled the return line off the rear suspension also. Green leak very obvious once up on hoist.

I love this car. If the original CX had the go of the turbo it would have been a world beater.

Smiffy, might be time to find and keep one just in case.
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

I bought a muffler and twin pipe set from CXbasis, no question this was the expensive option.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Thread Information