conti tyre expansion
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 32
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: conti tyre expansion

  1. #1
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,762

    Default conti tyre expansion

    I have long bemoaned the increasing paucity of decent tyres in sizes of interest to owners of old beasties. Continental have just carried out a massive expansion of size availability & now carry a host of relevant sizes in very good tyre types. Have a browse through the EcoContact 3 & 5 & PremiumContact 2 & 5 listings.

    Car tyres


    cheers! Peter

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lake Keepit NSW
    Posts
    818

    Default

    They're black and they are mostly round, sometimes with squiggly shapes on the outside.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    They're black and they are mostly round, sometimes with squiggly shapes on the outside.
    & if they're any good, they might save your life in the wet in an emergency.

    sigh!
    cjl likes this.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lake Keepit NSW
    Posts
    818

    Default

    And if they weren't any good they wouldn't be allowed to sell them.
    We have standards and laws that give us the confidence that the tyres we buy will do the job.

    If we push the working environment of the tyres to, and beyond reasonable limits, we can only blame ourselves if they perform below our expectation.

    If I buy cheap brand X tyres, I drive within my skill set, in a manner suitable for the road and traffic conditions.

    In 42 years of motoring, and over 1.5 million km at the wheel I have never experienced a situation where my low price, low spec tyres have failed to perform adequately.

    If you are depending on your tyres to save you in an emergency, you are driving with too high a risk threshold.

    If you believe that the 2% performance premium gained from spending 100% premium price is going to save you..... you are a sucker for the paranoia designed for you by advertising.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

  5. #5
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,235

    Default

    I have expensive Continental Premium Cushion tyres on my Xantia because it is the car my wife drives. I need her to survive the journey as she is the one who cooks and looks after me. Comparing the cost of hiring a housekeeper or paying extra for good tyres makes the Continentals a good buy.

    Cheap tyres like cheap women always end up costing more in the end.

    John

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lake Keepit NSW
    Posts
    818

    Default

    C'mon John that's rubbish!

    You are comparing a known doubling of cost, with a 1 in 200,000 (annual) risk..... it definitely is not worth it.

    And..... the quality of tyres might be a significant factor in 1% of fatal road accidents, so you are doubling your tyre cost to insure against a 1 in 20 million occurrence.
    Again I can only suggest that the advertising industry has duped you with designed paranoia.

    Besides, I'm sure you could learn to cook!
    Last edited by Buttercup; 27th May 2016 at 12:49 AM.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

  7. #7
    BVH Roger Wilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warrnambool
    Posts
    2,345

    Default

    I see no profiles higher than 65 in 15 inch. Nothing that suits late DS or GS.

    Yes, there is a 205/65-15 that would suit XM, but Michelin XM tyres have carried me around in XMs for over 160,000 km so far and performed fine so why would I change.

    Roger

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Armidale
    Posts
    2,349

    Default

    Bob, if everyone thought like you, there would have been no demand for fancy-shmancy new-fangled radials, and we'd all be driving on these things



    This little thread amused me - all these died-in-the-wool traditionalist Rolls owners being forced to fit radials as their favourite old cross-plies fell apart (due to age, not use ), worrying about spoiling the look of their precious heirlooms - then discovering that not only could they now stop and go around corners like never before, but they could now travel in straight lines without wandering all over the road!!!!

    Australian RR Forums: Tyres for a Mk VI

    Cheers

    Alec

  9. #9
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,235

    Default

    I use something like that on my 2CV. Since there is only one tyre on the Australian market to fit a 2CV (Nankang) it makes the choice easy - rubber or rim?

    Also, whenever I drive long distance in my 2CV (ie Raid), I have to do my own bloody cooking! Comes with the tyre.

    John

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lake Keepit NSW
    Posts
    818

    Default

    Hey John are you using 135 or 145 Nankang ?

    I was amazed to find that the modern 135 is smaller diameter than the original Michelin 125.
    The 145 is the same diameter as the old 125.

    Also the 135 cost about $125 while the 145 are only $95. I've just ordered another 10.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

  11. #11
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,235

    Default

    Bob, I use the 135. I never considered the price difference. I always went for the 135 as they were lighter and skinnier than the 145. The wider the tyre, the greater chance of hitting sharp rocks. The heavier the tyre, the greater the unsprung weight. Under poor traction conditions like sand, the 145 has the edge.

    Unlike you, I don't have a lot of power to lay down as 602cc of unleashed fury doesn't compare to a GS engine.

    For my town 2CV, I use Michelin X 125's. The original and on bitumen my favourite.

    John

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lake Keepit NSW
    Posts
    818

    Default

    The 145 are really only 140 total bag width on the 2CV rims.... so the width is not really a factor.

    I don't think the weight difference is really worth considering either.

    On Raid, height is important for clearance, and when you let them dow in the sand they give a bigger footprint before they are too flat.

    And $120 difference for a set is better in my pocket.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    And if they weren't any good they wouldn't be allowed to sell them.
    We have standards and laws that give us the confidence that the tyres we buy will do the job.

    If we push the working environment of the tyres to, and beyond reasonable limits, we can only blame ourselves if they perform below our expectation.

    If I buy cheap brand X tyres, I drive within my skill set, in a manner suitable for the road and traffic conditions.

    In 42 years of motoring, and over 1.5 million km at the wheel I have never experienced a situation where my low price, low spec tyres have failed to perform adequately.

    If you are depending on your tyres to save you in an emergency, you are driving with too high a risk threshold.

    If you believe that the 2% performance premium gained from spending 100% premium price is going to save you..... you are a sucker for the paranoia designed for you by advertising.
    um, hello there, anyone home?

    I'm pleased that you drive within your limits & the predictable context of the road conditions. That is irrelevant to my point.

    The point about an emergency brake or an emergency dodge is just that normal attentive driving will not always predict it; it is an event that impinges on you. I'm glad that, given your touching confidence in the qualities of all commercially available tyres, your many years of attentive driving have not resulted in such an event. Others' experiences might differ. As for 2%, I offer this table.

    2016 Summer Tyre Market Overview Braking - Tyre Reviews

    peter
    cjl likes this.

  14. #14
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,235

    Default

    Obviously, Nankang don't make a tyre to fit the VW Golf test vehicle, otherwise Pirelli may have had some competition.

    In Australian conditions, goannas view ALL tyres as being the same.....bloody dangerous.

    John

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Obviously, Nankang don't make a tyre to fit the VW Golf test vehicle, otherwise Pirelli may have had some competition.

    In Australian conditions, goannas view ALL tyres as being the same.....bloody dangerous.

    John
    The real surprise to me was the Toyo. Yes it's a LRR tyre & obviously one that achieves that economy by compounding bias towards low energy loss & away from wet grip. Even so, some manufacturers manage compounding tensions better. One can imagine some trusting punter saying: 'recognisable mid-range tyre brand, must be OK'.

    Here's the previous year's with a Nankang in it ;-)

    2015 Market Overview Braking Test - Tyre Reviews

    cheers! Peter

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger! Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lake Keepit NSW
    Posts
    818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    um, hello there, anyone home?

    I'm pleased that you drive within your limits & the predictable context of the road conditions. That is irrelevant to my point.

    The point about an emergency brake or an emergency dodge is just that normal attentive driving will not always predict it; it is an event that impinges on you.

    peter
    Good attentive driving doesn't need to predict an emergency, it needs to allow for unexpected occurrences, and react to them so they don't become an "emergency". An emergency arrives from a series of events, some of which should be in the driver's control.
    If you are experiencing emergencies with some frequency then I'd suggest you are not in control of enough factors in your driving.

    Having fancy Conti Squirm 6P, GT Sport, Ultra SafeGrip XYZ, Dynamic Response, Torsion Control la de da, Maxi Enduro 3000, Gecko Toes, Aqua Pura 4.5T, Spherical Graphite....... round black things.......might be giving you a false confidence in your ability as a super star of the track......oops sorry.... road.
    Ken H likes this.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

  17. #17
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    The real surprise to me was the Toyo. Yes it's a LRR tyre & obviously one that achieves that economy by compounding bias towards low energy loss & away from wet grip. Even so, some manufacturers manage compounding tensions better. One can imagine some trusting punter saying: 'recognisable mid-range tyre brand, must be OK'.

    Here's the previous year's with a Nankang in it ;-)

    2015 Market Overview Braking Test - Tyre Reviews

    cheers! Peter
    Damn. That ruins my joke of the day.

    Like I say, I use Nankang because they are the only tyre to fit the 2CV that are relatively cheap (compared to Michelin X 125) and a far better tyre for Raid conditions. I must admit the latest tread profile is good at speed. Some years ago I was clocked at 115kph down the main straight at Eastern Creek and what impressed the following car that clocked me was that I didn't brake for the left hander, just cruised around at 40 degrees angle of bank.

    I don't like driving the 2CV in the wet. Not because I doubt its handling, but the windscreen wipers are so pathetic, I can't see where I am going. Not that the view out through the windscreen is any good even on a sunny day. Like peaking through a letterbox slot.

    John

  18. #18
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Damn. That ruins my joke of the day.


    Not that the view out through the windscreen is any good even on a sunny day. Like peaking through a letterbox slot.

    John
    You really only need to see the road ahead and through the side windows to know what is going on around you (Rear view helps too!)
    The 2CV is admirable in that regard with thin A pillars ( no Blind Spot ), a bit like driving a Traction. Nothing comes at you from above!
    Greg C likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

  19. #19
    BVH Roger Wilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warrnambool
    Posts
    2,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    the windscreen wipers are so pathetic, I can't see where I am going.
    John, rain-x is your friend. It is my "windscreen wiper" of choice in early Dees, which have decidedly poor windscreen wipers. I have had two complete failures of the wiper mechanism in them, so I am a believer in the definition of a classic car that I have heard, that it is one for which you regard windscreen wipes as a finite resource.

    Roger

  20. #20
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Good attentive driving doesn't need to predict an emergency, it needs to allow for unexpected occurrences, and react to them so they don't become an "emergency". An emergency arrives from a series of events, some of which should be in the driver's control.
    If you are experiencing emergencies with some frequency then I'd suggest you are not in control of enough factors in your driving.

    Having fancy Conti Squirm 6P, GT Sport, Ultra SafeGrip XYZ, Dynamic Response, Torsion Control la de da, Maxi Enduro 3000, Gecko Toes, Aqua Pura 4.5T, Spherical Graphite....... round black things.......might be giving you a false confidence in your ability as a super star of the track......oops sorry.... road.
    Fine. Obviously being alert to a sequence of events that could end up badly starting to happen often allows timely intervention. Things can also happen too swiftly for that to occur (especially in a low tyre-stress way) & despite one's high level of attentive driving. At those times, I'd like my tyres to work with me, not against me. And no, such events do not happen to me with some frequency. Nor do house fires but I choose to have house insurance.

    Your last bit is bizarre. I have no idea what you think it has to do with the point at hand. Insults are better if connected to the issue, not random sprays.

    Anyway, my point with the initial post was simply to apprise colleagues of the renewed availability of tyres of very good quality in sizes which have been largely devoid of them. Given your long & successful history of never having to rely on your tyres gripping well or responding quickly, you clearly could not give a stuff about what you're driving on but others might. If they do, then they might also wish to know that Conti have another one of those "4 for the price of 3" deals going until the end of June. Especially if occasionally less than maximally attentive in their driving, given the reduced price premium to be paid, they might care to sample something very much superior to the budget tyres that might otherwise tempt them. For instance, using Jax's published prices, and the size 165/70-14, the cheapest tyre is the Hifly HF201 at $328 for 4. Conti's PremiumContact 2 is $435 for 4. $100 seems like cheap insurance to me.

    End of dialogue from my end.

    Peter
    addo and cjl like this.

  21. #21
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,235

    Default

    I do use Rain-X and have for a long time, beginning with my first CX which had a superb single wiper that removed rain, insects, birds, graffiti and just about anything else.

    Unfortunately, 2CV also suffers from steamed up windows on rainy days. My worst drive was leaving one winters afternoon from Canberra to return to Sydney. Had the lights on and the wipers but the car was running like a busted fart. I realised then that the alternator wasn't delivering a decent charge to the battery. Drove with the lights off until it became dark. Drove with the wipers off the whole way. On the Hume its not too bad as you just follow the tail lights of the car in front. Made it home OK. Also, with the weird light switch on 2CVs, I flicked between parking lights and headlights. The cars in front must have thought I was a most considerate driver by not trying to blind them. Little do they know what I am really like.


    John

  22. #22
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I do use Rain-X and have for a long time, beginning with my first CX which had a superb single wiper that removed rain, insects, birds, graffiti and just about anything else.

    Unfortunately, 2CV also suffers from steamed up windows on rainy days. My worst drive was leaving one winters afternoon from Canberra to return to Sydney. Had the lights on and the wipers but the car was running like a busted fart. I realised then that the alternator wasn't delivering a decent charge to the battery. Drove with the lights off until it became dark. Drove with the wipers off the whole way. On the Hume its not too bad as you just follow the tail lights of the car in front. Made it home OK. Also, with the weird light switch on 2CVs, I flicked between parking lights and headlights. The cars in front must have thought I was a most considerate driver by not trying to blind them. Little do they know what I am really like.


    John
    I'm also an enthusiast for such coatings. Re misting: have you tried the inside-of-the-window version of these? (Not that I really understand why there'd be two formulations - don't they both leverage off surface tension? )

    cheers! Peter

  23. #23
    BVH Roger Wilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warrnambool
    Posts
    2,345

    Default

    Peter, I think you are doing yourself a dis-service in your naming of this thread. At first I thought it was the tyres themselves that were expanding, rather than their range.

    Roger

  24. #24
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Armidale
    Posts
    2,349

    Default

    Hi Peter - I know this started as a tyre thread (& as usual we can blame JBN for the side-track), but I think it's important that we warn John NOT to use rainex on the inside of the 2CV (or any other car either)

    I used to wear a full-face helmet (usually only when I rode a motorbike), and products like these are very helpful for maintaining good visibility through the visor in wet and humid weather. However it was/is very important to use the right product in the right place!

    The product you use on the inside needs to have the exact opposite effect to "Rainex". Rainex repels water (raises the surface tension), so the wind created by your passage can easily push it up and off the windscreen. Inside (windscreen or helmet) there is no wind and no rain, however there is high humidity, which condenses onto the surface being cooled by the external moving air. What you need is a product to reduce the surface tension, so that the moisture forms a smooth film which you can see through. "Rainex" and similar will cause the condensing moisture to form droplets - ie fog - thus making the existing tendency to fog up even worse.

    I used to use Narva Fog-free, but realised after a while that dish-washing liquid had the same effect. The Narva product was very viscous and probably stayed on the visor better, but dish-washing liquid was cheaper!!

    Cheerz

    Alec

  25. #25
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Armidale
    Posts
    2,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Peter, I think you are doing yourself a dis-service in your naming of this thread. At first I thought it was the tyres themselves that were expanding, rather than their range.

    Roger

    Hi Roger

    It sounds like we used to watch the same cartoons, in which car tyres were seen as infinitely elastic, and the oft-repeated sight gag involved Mickey (or Donald, or someone) connecting up the air hose, then getting distracted (usually by Minnie or Daisy).

    Second cartoon in this collection is a variation on the theme - suspect Peter would reject these tyres due to lack of sidewall stiffness!

    Disney Classic Car Capers - Donald, Mickey, Goofy Classics! - Video Dailymotion

    Cheerz

    Alec

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •