Rust?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By forumnoreason
  • 1 Post By ScotFrog

Thread: Rust?

Default Rust?

Can't believe I didn't see a RUST thread! If there is one, please point me in the right direction. Anyway, I stripped the right front fender of my ID21 Safari and found rust... of course, but some strange marks somewhat like random tiger stripes. Maybe the fender was keyed, maybe these are stress fractures though I don't see much damage. Anyone have an idea what these are????Rust?-img_1107.jpg

Advertisement

cougar went it.
    IWS likes this.

At a long shot, the panel is off another car and the original paint became damaged whilst the panel was handled and stored.

It looks like the marks you get when a panel was repainted with acrylic, but the coats are too thick and not dried between. Extreme shrinkage opens up cracks which got through all layers and let moisture get to the steel.

This isn't proper rust...... is just surface marking..... clean it up with emery, give it a coat of hi build primer... it'll be fine.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

I found marks similar to this but more of a cob webbed appearance when I bare metalled my CX. They were painted with baked enamel and the effect was consistent all over the body shell. Cleaned up easily with a good wet and dry rubbing and then a wipe down with deoxidine!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    It looks like the marks you get when a panel was repainted with acrylic, but the coats are too thick and not dried between. Extreme shrinkage opens up cracks which got through all layers and let moisture get to the steel.

This isn't proper rust...... is just surface marking..... clean it up with emery, give it a coat of hi build primer... it'll be fine.
    That's my thoughts too. Acrylic can do that if painted on a damp day also.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by jameswalmann View Post
    Can't believe I didn't see a RUST thread! ........
    If there was, it would have 1.3 million posts, have started in 1923 and would go on forever....................

What else can be said about it............?
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

Quote Originally Posted by jameswalmann View Post
    Can't believe I didn't see a RUST thread! If there is one, please point me in the right direction. Anyway, I stripped the right front fender of my ID21 Safari and found rust... of course, but some strange marks somewhat like random tiger stripes. Maybe the fender was keyed, maybe these are stress fractures though I don't see much damage. Anyone have an idea what these are????Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1107.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	84760

I've seen this before and I was told it was a symptom of incompatible paint types. Either the primer, undercoat or perhaps an unacceptable 'tie' coat has reacted with the final top coat or 'clear coat' forcing it to shrink beyond its cohesive properties. Don't ask me how I know.
    I do know I had to sand back two topcoats ALL OVER in order to undo the damage.

SF
    Kim Luck likes this.

Without knowing what the original substrates and topcoats are a painter is in the dark. The only succesful way to provide a lasting finish is to remove everything and start again. Lazy, uncaring painters and bodyshops won't do this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Tailgate (Upper). Had a spare upper tailgate.... good news when the original one caved in around the window because of RUST!!!! Again, the few coats of paint on this tailgate were really 6802 resistant No bad rust but signs of pitting, etc. I thought it might be part aluminum, but it was way too heavy and the "metal" was magnetic. Go figure. Need info ingesting the tailgate (upper and lower) to latch. I've been moving parts (upper tailgate, lower tailgate, bumpers, hinges, etc.,) of the reassembled rear of the Safari and can't get the latch positioned correctly. Too many variables. Is there step by step instructions to get these parts in synch?

Thread Information