C5 (X7) windscreen trim!!!!!
  • Register
  • Help

Icon10 C5 (X7) windscreen trim!!!!!

Hey peoples!

I gather from one of Kens posts that there seems to be an issue with these plastics bits deciding to make a leap for freedom?? Any ways, I've lost and replaced one and now the other one decided life looked more exciting on the side of the Ipswich motorway. Oh well, this is the only issue that has arisen with my 09 C5 now with 120,000km on the clock so not much to complain about in the big scheme of things!

So, I have two questions that I hope you cognoscenti can answer...

Advertisement

1/ Is there a way to keep these things in place OR is it better to put them away and just put them on for "show and tell" dates?

2/ Is there somewhere I can get these things apart from the dealer...at around $240 its a costly bit of plastic...

Thanks in advance people!

Hi Nigel, Wow that's a high price for some plastic trim. It's normally stuck in place with the sikaflex sealant that holds the screen in. It usually holds on well.
    You might be lucky and find one on a wreck at a wreckers, but it might be difficult to remove it without damaging it.
    I haven't worked in the windscreen industry since the late 1980s, but I'm pretty sure they still use sikaflex, and I'm pretty sure it's all that holds the trim in place, well in most cases.

Fellow Frogger

They are supposed to be held on by 5 special clips per side, which are insanely expensive for what they are.
    Some added Sikaflex would be a more reliable way to fix them in place.
    If it's had a recent windscreen, then talk to the person who fitted it because they obviously didn't do the job correctly.
    There was a recall early in the life of the model to check they were fitted properly and would not come off.
    So, either it missed the recall (if it's old enough), has been knocked about somehow or not refitted correctly by a windscreen fitter.

1000+ Posts

I had my screen replaced and the panel shop, which has done several C5s, reckoned they'd break them, so bought two. One was loose anyway. They broke only one so I have a spare and I reckon I will need it. The fitter chose to use some window sealant as well as the stupid clips to make sure they wouldn't come loose.

Fellow Frogger!

They don't come off if the windscreen fitter does the job properly and replaces all the clips when a new screen is fitted. The cost if the clips should then be covered by insurance as part of the windscreen claim. It's as simple as that. No Sixaflex needed. Too many lazy/couldn't be botherd to do it correctly cowboys out there. I know from experience with several X7 windscreens. End of story. Cheers. Robin

1000+ Posts

I've seen a strip come off two cars still in warranty. Each peeled from the top.

Fellow Frogger!

I meant to add that the clips are designed for single use only. Citroen isn't the only manufacturer to do this now or in the past. It's the way it is. Get someone to do the job correctly and no problems. Robin

I recently bought a Citroen C5 from a Citroen dealer which had a cracked windscreen. 'No biggie' I thought; 'windscreens get cracked all the time and I'm not going to miss out on a used one with full service history, changed timing belt, no accident damage and low mileage because of this'. I got them to stick a new windscreen in as part of the contract. They initially tried to fob me off with a cheap Chinese job until I jumped up and down and got them to stick a genuine Citroen job in (they were, after all, a Citroen dealer).

Within 2 weeks of doing so though, the driver's side trim blew off. The bottom clip central 'loop' actually broke and one of the tabs from the trim was left in such was the force with which it came off. The dealer got a replacement sorted out.

However, I insisted that the clips be replaced on the passenger side too because I wasn't sure the clips had been replaced and it was loose. Then the passenger's side blew off a week or so ago (the bottom clip popped off when driving at speed). Got the news last week that there were at least 9 of the relevant bit of trim on backorder and it will be several weeks to get it out from France.

I've found a car at a wreckers in Sydney in the colour of my car so was thinking of grabbing the trim off that to keep as spares. How would I get the trim off without breaking it?

There were a few observations to note so far as the trim was concerned:
    1. The trim clip design has been changed. The old part number was 812398 and these were yellow. The new ones are 811025 and are grey. Interestingly, the clips that were supposedly replaced on my passenger side trim were yellow, suggesting the new ones may not be in Oz yet.
    2. The replacement trim part numbers are 8120 Y8 (RHS) and 8120 Y9 (LHS).
    3. The replacement trim is supplied with new clips but needs to be painted by a body shop in the body colour. So in addition to the part itself, budget on painting too (or stick them on unpainted if both sides have come off).

Anyway, I am wondering whether the issue was in part caused by the fact that the windscreen installer caused the rubber on the cowl to bunch up causing an air pocket to develop. Is it worth sticking a dab of RTV silicone sealant on the cowl and trim to get the cowl and trim to sit flat in the bottom corners of the windscreen?

1000+ Posts

I did so with my car soon after taking delivery. I squeezed a little silicone in and taped it down for a couple of days. It worked, until the screen was damaged.

After a replacement screen was fitted and the trim piece stuck down at the top end as well as clipped there has been no trouble. They seem to peel from one end in the breeze when travelling at speed.

It's the painting that is pricey, unless you are having panel repairs done at the same time.

I must have been lucky so far with the plastic trim pieces and the clips as my car still has the original screen. My problem has been with the aluminium facing strip that is only adhesive bonded on to the plastic trim. I used Selleys Clear gutter and roof silastic to glue mine back on when they came unstuck. Still seem to have them so fingers crossed.

Cheers, Ken W

Guys thats really interesting thanks! In my case I haven't replaced the screen (bought the car 2nd hand) and when the first one went West I just figured that it was luck until I fitted the new one (painted myself) and noticed the amount of excess sealant around the screen so trimmed it all back. Replacement clips which came with the trim are still yellow....

Quote Originally Posted by NigeltheC5 View Post
    In my case I haven't replaced the screen (bought the car 2nd hand) and when the first one went West I just figured that it was luck until I fitted the new one (painted myself) and noticed the amount of excess sealant around the screen so trimmed it all back. Replacement clips which came with the trim are still yellow....
    The previous owner may have replaced the screen though, which is why the trim came loose. Check also whether your vehicle was affected by the recall relating to the trim.

https://www.recalls.gov.au/content/i.../itemId/970503

You may have grounds to get Citroen to provide the trim if your vehicle was affected by the recall (I think 2009 models were). Well worth asking the question if the windscreen had not been replaced.

Interestingly, the new clips for my trim were apparently grey.

Hi,

I can supply the clips for $1.04 each (you need 5 per side), & the mouldings (unpainted) $119.34 each

best regards,

Greg ([email protected])

Thread Information