Carsales GS
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Carsales GS

Default Carsales GS

Pardon my cynicism but after a perusal of this advertisment had me wondering, always garaged and only 31K, how does it manage to look so worn out, interior shot and corrosion prevalent-just look at the compliance plate, might be a good car but? For my two bobs worth that car is worth less than 25% of what is being offered!
    1974 Citroen GS Manual - carsales.com.au

Advertisement
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 24th May 2016 at 07:16 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

I agree, a $150 piece of crap. Not worth restoring to any standard considering the market price of one in reasonable condition. Tell 'im he's dreamin'.

This one looks much better!
    1974 Citroen GS Manual
    But probably both are around the clock at least once.
    43,000 Km ?????
    31,000 Km ?????
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Pardon my cynicism but after a perusal of this advertisment had me wondering, always garaged and only 31K, how does it manage to look so worn out, interior shot and corrosion prevalent-just look at the compliance plate, might be a good car but? For my two bobs worth that car is worth less than 25% of what is being offered!
    1974 Citroen GS Manual - carsales.com.au
    It is 'priced to sell quickly'.....

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Ignoring the price for a minute..... actually I believe that has been cared for. It's a 42 year old car that appears to be un-restored .... looks to have possibly the original perished paint with no signs of rust breaking through. The interior looks original ... ( is it ? I'm used to seeing later pallas's). The seats aren't worn through .... though they have began to perish around the sides. The owner has enough confidence in it to state it'll come with a roadworthy.

If I was looking for a GS wagon .... I'd certainly be looking at that one. Have you guys seen how rusty and buggered 99.9% of the GS's left are? let alone finding an "unrusty" one.

Obvioulsy the speedo may have been around several times, so like any 10+ year old car, it's reading is irrelevant. If you can drive it and it's gearbox is quietwith good synchros, and its driveshafts don't clatter. I would believe it hasn't done a huge milage in it's lifetime though.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    gerrypro, addo, GreenBlood and 2 others like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Yes you'd definitely think it would be a good restorer, but the price? The other on carsales is one that sold only recently on carsales in Sydney.
    I do like the Gsssss but yeah stating 31k has me thinking no way Jose can be correct.

The real attraction is it has a semi auto in it, unless the badge remains after a conversion.

I'm not enquiring so possibly will never know!

btw I would imagine it could have plenty of rust in it ; )
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 24th May 2016 at 04:20 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

It is not a convertisseur. It has three pedals and the sticker on the console shows 4 speeds plus reverse.

The first car look like a heap. the second one looks lovely, makes me all sentimental for the one I owned in the 1980s. Mine was white sedan, red velour interior, 1220 club convertisseur. It gave me a lot of grief but I probably miss it more than any other car I've owned. (with the P76 second..., or maybe the R20??)

yes my limited knowledge of GSsss had me wondering, didn't see the pedals but noticed the gearshift sticker was for a manual, so why does it have a convertisseur badge on the back?

Anomaly phenomenally.

1000+ Posts

^ it may have been a convertisseur originally, then converted to manual, as many often were when they played up.

Quote Originally Posted by graham66 View Post
    ^ it may have been a convertisseur originally, then converted to manual, as many often were when they played up.
    Or been hit the back and has non original tail gate

Default Carsales gs

i have followed this thread and would like to have my say. this may not be the truth for consideration however think of finding any GS in half decent condition these days. estates also are rarer and if one thinks it is not competitively prices then the market will dictate.
    i searched for over 2 years to find the car that i wanted, and struggled through car clubs,leads etc every where and, some know that i believe passionately that the small GS is definitely worth saving. many would not even guess the labour and money put into my silver car. money is not always the first consideration in these cars.

if your interested in the GS as a fine citroen, then consider ringing the seller directly and discussing it person to person and then do the deal or don't.

having had many different Citroens you have always try to respect and consider the sellers angle and not publicly discuss it on an open forum. especially if you have any negative perceptions.

my sincerer apologies if this offends some AF ers as its not meant to just put yourself in the sellers shoes.
    thanks
    no knives please.
    IWS, Bad Bertie, Bruce H and 5 others like this.

Our '74 break was the same in that badging on tailgate did not correspond with running gear - would dashboard idiot-lights be a clue?
    Under bonnet is spectacularly oxidised, but maybe that's what happens when you don't let them ... moisturise themselves.
    We would have that in a heartbeat if it is as described - i.e. no perforating, structural rust.
    (rather have SS exhaust upstream of Y-piece though)

good luck to the seller!

ps totally diagree with you Lamoor regarding openly discussing an advetisement on AF.

Public forum = right to discuss or comment. I think that's why Choice magazine exists.

You had a turn didn't you!
    ps no offence taken : )
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 26th May 2016 at 02:12 PM.
    Leconte likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    This one looks much better!
    1974 Citroen GS Manual
    I see it's suddenly not available, sold already? That was quick.

Sedan went from Gumtree a couple of days ago.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Now the wagon is on gumtree, and I've finally looked at the photos and notice it has a locking glovebox lid! Not many of them around in Aus.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

I am astonished and disappointed this post is still here.

Are there not people who moderate this site?

Am I able to get on to this site, identify a car for sale, bring it up with a link, totally discredit and destroy any chance of sales to the buyer (disagree with description, condition, miles and price) and just get away with it? Not far off cyber bullying, but that concerns people.

Disgusted.

Lamoor, you are right. Chris M - moderators please get rid of this post.
    dogboy and Bad Bertie like this.

yes PLEASE delete qmusic's post!
    "destroy any chance of sales to the buyer" ?
    What utter rubbish.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 5th June 2016 at 12:05 PM.

While the price may be daunting to some, on face value, without having seen this Break, I believe it represents value.
    1974 Citroen GS Wagon | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Hawkesbury Area - Vineyard | 1114253369

I have now been down the path of three GS restorations. If you want to hold off to get a cheaper one, then be prepared to pump more money into bringing some rusty thing up to scratch. It is a false economy.

Hard to go off photos only, but this car may just need a tidy up. The glove box lid may suggest it was a private import (Aussie cars were not permitted to have them due to design rules).

In summary, I would have welcomed the opportunity to consider a car such as this (and I may have saved time, money and effort).

Examples of two experiences below:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carsales GS-img_0211.jpg   Carsales GS-img_2211.jpg   Carsales GS-img_0212.jpg   Carsales GS-img_0926.jpg   Carsales GS-imgp0133.jpg   Carsales GS-imgp0134.jpg  

Carsales GS-img_2212%5B1%5D.jpg   Carsales GS-img_0543.jpg  
    Last edited by sparkey; 5th June 2016 at 03:05 PM.
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Well put, I admire your perseverance too.
    sparkey likes this.

there you go, an informed observation, good on you Sparkey for weighing in. : )

THe price of the wagon has now dropped to 2500.

1000+ Posts

Really nice car, Sparkey. Definitely a cool surf wagon!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Forumreason, here we go.
    Can I:
    1. Identify a persons car on line, not like what I see - price, condition, description.....
    2. Bring it on to a site like this and negatively mouth it off
    3. Bring in the aggreeors
    ????????????
    is this what Aussiefrogs/ Citroen is about?
    Those who buy in to this level of talk should take care.
    Put something on the web somewhere and have folk do to you. How will you feel? Unhappy I assume.
    Over and out at this point. Point hopefully made for others, clearly not yourself. Chris M
    dogboy and Bad Bertie like this.

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by qmusic View Post
    Forumreason, here we go.
    Can I:
    1. Identify a persons car on line, not like what I see - price, condition, description.....
    2. Bring it on to a site like this and negatively mouth it off
    3. Bring in the aggreeors
    ????????????
    is this what Aussiefrogs/ Citroen is about?
    Those who buy in to this level of talk should take care.
    Put something on the web somewhere and have folk do to you. How will you feel? Unhappy I assume.
    Over and out at this point. Point hopefully made for others, clearly not yourself. Chris M
    This is why the For Sale segment of Aussie Frogs does not allow replies - to stop people debating/questioning a "For Sale" posting.

Ian.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information