Headlight globe replacement C5 2003
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Erikbm

Thread: Headlight globe replacement C5 2003

Default Headlight globe replacement C5 2003

My drivers side headlight has blown. Last time this happened a young apprentice mechanic with tiny hands manage to replace globe with just a few scratches on the back of her hand . I can`t even get the wire spring clamp off to get the old one out . I don`t want to have to remove the whole front bumper etc just to change a globe. Has anyone have an easier solution?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunk View Post
    My drivers side headlight has blown. Last time this happened a young apprentice mechanic with tiny hands manage to replace globe with just a few scratches on the back of her hand . I can`t even get the wire spring clamp off to get the old one out . I don`t want to have to remove the whole front bumper etc just to change a globe. Has anyone have an easier solution?
    I've managed to change the bulb on the passenger side with only the need to remove the battery - drivers side I had to remove the bumper skin and headlight assembly. Fortunately only 2 blown bulbs in 14 years. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

They can both be accessed easily without removing the headlight assemblies, and I have large hands.
    If your C5 has the headlight washers in the bumper you probably have the HID Xenon globes. If this is the case, disconnect ALL wiring to the headlight where they plug in, BEFORE you uncap the headlight asccess points or change the globes.
    If you just have normal H4 or whatever the normal ones are, it's safe to do without disconnecting the cables first.
    It is tight, but I've done it without pulling the front of my car to bits, like I used to with the Xantia.
    Good luck..

Thanks for the feed back. I have found more posts on the subject. My 2nd try will be asking someone with small hands.

If it was the battery side I would of had the job done ok but of course it`s the drivers side, found some more posts on the subject.
    Thanks for the response.

I concur with George - no need to remove front of C5 to change globes on the C5.

May I suggest that (assuming a non HID set up) that you make a tool to assist in the removal/loosening of the plug from the globe. I bent the end of an old screw driver to place between plug and globe. That is, do not remove clips holding globe in place before removing plug. using a small mirror, record the orientation of the globe before removal and how the clips hold/secure the globe in position. Draw a sketch.

Once you have a clear picture of how it goes together, braille is the way to go!

You may take a photo if possible. It took me hours for the first LHS H7 globe change and minutes for the subsequent ones (I don't know why but always the LHS to date (I've been meaning to return 2 globes to Phillips- so much for their quality.)

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunk View Post
    If it was the battery side I would of had the job done ok but of course it`s the drivers side, found some more posts on the subject.
    Thanks for the response.

Fellow Frogger!

Maybe I put up a post on this a few years ago, but if not...
    I got so sick of the RHS one and yes it blew quite a few globes that I took a hacksaw to it and cut off a fair bit of the plastic backing so that I could both see and get my hand into it.
    The Dunk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Erikbm View Post
    Maybe I put up a post on this a few years ago, but if not...
    I got so sick of the RHS one and yes it blew quite a few globes that I took a hacksaw to it and cut off a fair bit of the plastic backing so that I could both see and get my hand into it.
    Geez that's a bit extreme Erik. I'd try thinking of something else to do before taking a hacksaw to it. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Fellow Frogger!

Usually George, but not in this case. I tried on several occasions. Even took out the whole thing once to make sure I knew what the interior of the headlight looked like, but do you think that I and my hand could do it in place? My daughter also tried, but to no avail and so, out came the hacksaw and the problem was solved and it still worked.

The only way to replace this without removing anything other than the battery from one side the best way is to explain to a person who has small hands how to remove (the driver side), power socket from the bulb first, then remove the wire clamp by pushing the top part to the outside and then you will be able to remove the bulb. If the power socket is hard to remove dab your fingers with plenty of WD40 and smear this on the socket, plenty is good. Then jiggle the socket from side to side a number of times or leave it soak overnight. This is because over time the lamp contacts may have become corroded onto the lamp socket contacts. Just take note of the position of the bulb when removing as the new one needs to be positioned the same way. Make certain that you replace the retaining clamp onto the bulb first and then you can plug the power socket onto the lamp. Also replace the water cover on the back of the lamp cover. Good luck but it will save u a lot of time and expense. I knew that my 18year young son would one day be a useful person

Fellow Frogger!

Whaddya know I had to do the DS one yesterday! I agree that the socket can get stuck on. It was the hardest part! Also the spring can be a bit nasty when your fingers are half frozen. Otherwise I'm pretty slick at it now.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

Thread Information