Citroen C5 2.2 diesel maintenance
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: Citroen C5 2.2 diesel maintenance

Default Citroen C5 2.2 diesel maintenance

I've just bought 2005 Citroen C5 2.2 diesel auto with Hydractive with 215K km on the clock.

Advertisement

What are the basic that are vital to know regarding this car? Is there any particular maintenance routines for this car? Anything else I need to know?

I am new both to Hydractive and diesels.

I would get all the fluids changed ASAP. Engine, gearbox oil and LDS and brake fluid unless you have details of when these were last changed. Same with all filters - engine oil, fuel, engine air and pollen filters. Do you have details of the last cambelt change? If not get that done too. Unfortunately the Haynes manual doesn't cover your engine and transmission but I would get one anyway.

If you want someone to take it too, I would recommend Euroserve and Newstead.

Find someone nearby that has a Lexia or Diagbox in case the car needs fault reading in the future.

Cheers, Ken

Thanks Ken. That's pretty much the plan. Which seems to be the same as for any other vehicle only with addition of LDS fluid. As for the Lexia, I'm tempted to buy one as I've got two PSA cars and it seems like it's only 100-130 dollars.

Fellow Frogger

Usual used car checks and C5 issues aside ... consider bypassing the heat exchanger on the coolant side to prevent coolant being sucked into the engine (=bent rod) when it eventually leaks. That's a risk if someone pressure tests the cooling system and can't locate the observed loss. Pull off the air hose and check it has not already got coolant sitting in the bottom. Also remove the little rubber seal on the electrical plug at the fuel filter to try to prevent fuel seeping into the engine harness.

Timing belt last changed when??

Note that the alternator has a one-way clutch in the pulley, like a lot of the later HDi engines do, and it will vibrate badly at idle if it has seized. You generally do not see this feature in a petrol engine. Mark the crank damper so you will know if the outer is moving relative to the inner.

It may have Hydractive 3 rather than 3+ with the extra sphere at each end. Look for a 3rd sphere in middle at the rear for H3+.
    Last edited by David S; 18th May 2016 at 10:53 PM.
    ScotFrog likes this.

If you are thinking of a Lexia type instrument, go for Diagbox rather than Lexia as it will cover both makes of car in one application. You will need a laptop that is running Windows XP SP3 32 bit with USB ports and DVD drive to install the Diagbox application onto. There are lots of post on here that discuss the installation rollercoaster experience.

Cheers, Ken

Thanks Ken

I am after an instrument that would:
    1. Work for both Peugeot and Citroen
    2. Read diagnostics codes (I've got bluetooth dongle ELM-327 that kinda does it, but it's really limited)
    3. Set up vehicle parameters (like enable/disable tyre pressure sensors, enable/disable park assist, program new fob keys, if that is possible at all)
    4. Be not too expensive (say under ~$200)

hey....I was looking at this car I think....you got it cheap mate

Thread Information