Berlingo Series II 1.4 specs
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: Berlingo Series II 1.4 specs

Tadpole

Default Berlingo Series II 1.4 specs

Hi guys, been reading forum posts over the past week and really loving the info you clever guys are putting out there, thank you, its helped me a helluva lot!

I am in the process of buying a 03/04 Berlingo but just wanted some help with specifics for maintenance. I have searched a bit but couldnt find what I was after so looking for some guidance.

Does anyone know what spark plugs and gap to use for the 1.4 engine? Info from different manufacturers provide different gaps and is a bit unclear. The same goes for the filters, the Ryco site lists ones for a Berlingo and then a Berlingo Van!?

Any recommendation on where I can find a good wiki type site with info on these neat little vehicles?

Also is there a difference if the van says its a M59 whilst others dont?

Thank you and apologies if I have glaringly missed this info somewhere on the forum!

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

This is the 2007 handbook (in French) that includes the 1.4. http://service.citroen.com/dtt/CDP/d...go10102007.zip

The 2008 book has 1.6 motors - http://service.citroen.com/dtt/CDP/d...ingo3VP_VU.zip

The newest English book is from 2005 at http://service.citroen.com/dtt/CDP/d...us_t2_2005.zip

Owners' manuals are online also. INFOTEC - Citroen Service

1000+ Posts

You won't find much support for Ryco filters on this site - Purflux filters have been shown to be better made, and are often cheaper!

You can get them through EAI, Dapco, French Connection etc...

Cheers

Alec

PS - welcome to AussieFrogs - from all accounts the Berlingo is very well designed and hopefully it will be good value!

1000+ Posts

Wot 'e said.

Here's the gen on filters - EAI: filter_new. The same place (in Thornleigh) can send plugs in the package too - just tell them the VIN so they get it right.

It's easy to tell M59 from M49. The M59 has the bigger plastic headlights with integrated sidelights and blinkers, while the earlier M49 has glass headlights with clip on blinkers/sidelights on the outer corner of this unit.

Most important service items are the gearbox bearings (yes, really) and timing belt.

Hi Addo, I put a Ryco oil filter on my Berlingo years ago. shortly after the oil light came on. I gave Tom Dolan a call and he asked what oil filter in put on it. His advice was to put the original purflux on. which I did. Bingo, light out.

Tadpole

Sweet, thanks for the help guys, I have spoken with EAI about my part requirements, they seem like really cool guys and not full of attitude like many other auto places.

Can you guys provide any recommendations for engine oil such as viscosity and grades etc?

Its done about 250,000kms and the lifters/tappets are a bit noisy, but it was really poorly looked after from previous owner. The guide I was kindly linked to by seasink recommends 5w or 10w but I am bit concerned with the mileage and noises that I should go for at least a 15w. But so much info I read on the web turns it upside down again! I have read the European motors love nothing more than a 10w/15w and in full synthetic or semi syn. The lube guides online for Penrite recommend 5w at most whilst Valvoline and Castrol recommend either 10w or 15w. Theres a few specials at the auto stores for some 10/15w oils but they are mineral based, should I stick to at least semi synthetic for the time being as the old school thought process was noisy engine and higher mileage equals thicker mineral oil like a 20w etc?

Can anyone also confirm if the tail lights on the M59 (04-07) are the same as the 00-03 M49 models, from what I see on the web they look identical unless there are tiny size/spec/globe differences?
    Last edited by berlingo22; 18th May 2016 at 12:08 PM.

I believe the only difference in taillights is the early ones were black tinted and really late ones where clear. (Over the indicator and reverse lights)
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

They all fit the same!

1000+ Posts

For the truly desperate, Ski's at Artarmon has this brewed by one of the oil suppliers: Berlingo Series II 1.4 specs-shitboxoil.jpg
    citroenthusiast likes this.

Tadpole

Anyone got any ideas on why it will be overheating and the air con not working? Driving along is fine, but as soon as you stop for a few seconds, temp goes up to 100c. Fan only kicks in after a minute or two when still sitting at the 100 degree mark. Not sure if its related but the air con and fans makes a humming sound from underneath the glove box when you try and turn it to the higher fan setting and nothing blows out. I have been reading the UK forums and they talk about relays near the radiator? Checked engine bay fuses and they looked fine.

Should it have one or two fans on this model?

It sounds like the low speed radiator fan wiring isn't working for whatever reason.

AC could be a number of problems but probably lack of gas from minor damage to condenser or flex hoses.

Tadpole

Yeh definitely looks like low fan speed is not functioning, pulled off the bumper, checked out the relays behind the wiring and the two plugs but they all had some resistance ohms on a multimeter so I have given up on figuring out that one.

Does anyone know how the heck to pull off the glove compartment? The heater blower fan has broken, found all sorts of junk fallen in there and looks like its ripped apart the fan but doesnt look like I can purchase the fan seperately, may need the whole gig. I can access the blower fan from underneath the glove box but also have the issue of some coolant weeping on the passenger floor, sounds like heater core/matrix is stuffed.

Thread Information