DS23 carby - Windy and weeing
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By harrisson_citroen
  • 2 Post By Pallas74

Thread: DS23 carby - Windy and weeing

Default DS23 carby - Windy and weeing

My D is 42 now so not surprising there's a slight loss of control of the fluids. But wondering if it's normal for the car to drop a few CC of fuel from the tube under the inlet manifold a few minutes after every run?

Also getting a fair bit of wind noise (car not driver!). Recently had dash out and just read that the finishing strip under the screen should extend above facia. I tucked it under. Could this be the problem?

Advertisement
    DS23 Pallas BVM Beige Tholonet, Cactus 110 Puretech Black/Black, C1 Airscape Black

Hello, carb float level or faulty needle valve?

Are the door windows sealing properly? You can adjust them by removing the grommets on the door edges and undoing the bolts. Before you get carried away, lower the window a bit and don't slam it shut. I have tried the after-market wind deflectors on the front doors, made it worse.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas74 View Post
    My D is 42 now so not surprising there's a slight loss of control of the fluids. But wondering if it's normal for the car to drop a few CC of fuel from the tube under the inlet manifold a few minutes after every run?

Also getting a fair bit of wind noise (car not driver!). Recently had dash out and just read that the finishing strip under the screen should extend above facia. I tucked it under. Could this be the problem?
    the sound of fuel leaking, even a small amount is a very bad sign. These carbies were fitted with a sleeve which can come loose. If it falls out say good bye to the car and get out the sausages for a bbq. There is a solution which involves replacing the sleeve with a threaded replacement. Do a search on the site and you should find it. One of the froggers in New Zealand is selling kits for not much which is great insurance. I did mine and took only 15 minutes

Yes, check the fuel inlet to see whether the brass tube is working loose from the diecast housing. Later ones are threaded and some of the standard brass fittings can be suitable.

Alternatively, knurl the brass tube by rolling with a sharp file and bond it in. There are threads about this in the Renault area. I've used Araldite successfully but others disagree and suggest a Loctite product that wicks in.

Note I've flared the tube at the outer end to improve security of the rubber hose and worm drive clamp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS23 carby  - Windy and weeing-8x1-mm-threaded-fitting-r8-32-mm-solex.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Great photo John!

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    Great photo John!
    Why thank you! I have a photo series from the fuel pumps for the Renault 4CV and R8 series too. You get the right tap and just carefully cut a thread in the socket to match a standard threaded fitting from an Enzed hydraulic hose and fittings shop. The emphasis is on "carefully".
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Note I've flared the tube at the outer end to improve security of the rubber hose and worm drive clamp.
    Little bit of trivia for you, and before someone asks what does the cast in letters: "Bte. SGDG" on the fuel pump in the picture mean :

It is not the manufacturer but is a standard phrase commonly used:

Brevete Sans Garantie Du Gouvernement. ie: Patented without guarantee from the government.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...2-mm-solex.jpg
    forumnoreason likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Little bit of trivia for you, and before someone asks what does the cast in letters: "Bte. SGDG" on the fuel pump in the picture mean :

It is not the manufacturer but is a standard phrase commonly used: Brevete Sans Garantie Du Gouvernement. ie: Patented without guarantee from the government. http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/att...2-mm-solex.jpg
    Many thanks - I'd wondered in the past.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thanks all. Yes trying to avoid the BBQ effect!

Float is set fine, rebuilt 3 times then replaced for another. Inlet secure too. So given this is a symptom with different carbs it must be something else.

A long long time ago I changed the pump could it be anything to do with that. Fuel
    Pump, tube, filter, tube to carb.

Or inlet manifold. Seems like it cools a little or maybe something expands then has a pee. There's a tube hanging off bottom of manifold clearly designed to let unspent duel in the manifold to exit safely to ground but not quite this much.

Oh and thanks re the wind noise I'll take a look. Just had trip to France in a friends D and noticed he has a rubber strip between dash top and windscreen. Checked and mine is folded under the dash so have pulled dash back from screen and managed to get it above fascia. Will screw everything back together this evening and see if that helps. Actually does say in manual to make sure it's above but doesn't say why. Maybe it's a wind noise seal? :-)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas74 View Post
    Oh and thanks re the wind noise I'll take a look. Just had trip to France in a friends D and noticed he has a rubber strip between dash top and windscreen. Checked and mine is folded under the dash so have pulled dash back from screen and managed to get it above fascia. Will screw everything back together this evening and see if that helps. Actually does say in manual to make sure it's above but doesn't say why. Maybe it's a wind noise seal? :-)

It might not be a bad idea to put a pressure gauge on the output line from the fuel pump and see what its actual pressure is. It only needs to be a couple of psi too high (and have seen some where the reading was right at supposed upper limit) to have the needle valve leak.

With my 72 I had the correct pressure out of the pump along with a new needle valve assembly and the exact same problem - only, in my case, not only was I getting post drive drip, but the car was running a bit rich at the same time. Wound up - after more than a bit of cursing - using some valve seating compound and a portable drill to re-seat the 'new' needle valve......

Steve

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Dripping from the drool tube is usually a sign of an engine running very rich - gasoline puddling under the carby. Definitely check the needle and seat. If the needle valve is bad, I've still got 100 or so of the Grose Jets I made about 10 years ago. They never leak and they hold even at 6-7 psi. They also never wear out.

Marketplace:John Titus - Citroen SM Wiki
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Thanks Jon/Steve. Seems like this may be the issue. The father of a guy at work has just finished building a Stratos replica and had same issue. He fitted one of these http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfor...tor-and-filter which solved his problem by reducing the pressure.

My carby is a Weber 28/36 DMA4. John, do you know if your Grose Jets would fit this carby?

So question is which way to go? I could buy or borrow a pressure gauge to be sure first I guess? What would you recommend?

Thanks again for very useful info. Pete
    DS23 Pallas BVM Beige Tholonet, Cactus 110 Puretech Black/Black, C1 Airscape Black

Yes, the Grose Jet valve it will fit all Citroen Weber carbs.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    Yes, the Grose Jet valve it will fit all Citroen Weber carbs.
    Thanks. So if my pressure is a bit high then this would stop the dribbling and running rich? I don't need to reduce the pressure in the fuel line too? Sorry a bit ignorant of the process! Cheers.

Right. The Weber valve is designed for 2-4 psi. The Grose Jet will hold 6-7 psi so long as the pump pressure isn't over about 7 it will hold.
    Cheers,
    John T.

Excellent. Will order one later. Nothing special to consider? Just take out old and screw in new? No sealant or readjustment of float? Sorry so many questions.

You will have to re-adjust the float, but that's all.
    Shipping is somewhat pricey. Maybe someone should order a few to have on hand.
    Cheers,
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    You will have to re-adjust the float, but that's all.
    Shipping is somewhat pricey. Maybe someone should order a few to have on hand.
    Thanks John. I'm going to take a punt and order 10. How do I do this? PayPal account would work. Let me know. Thanks.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address. Thanks
    Cheers,
    John T.

Remembered I hadnt updated with progress! Wind sorted by putting the missing mastic under the windscreen where it meets the bulkhead. And I haven't seen any petrol under the car in the last few months since installing John's Grose Jet (thank you John and for additional advice!). Ive had a bit of an issue with the car getting close to overheating. Light coming on but not actually ever getting there. So the engine ahs been running very hot and suspect when stopped the carb is getting superheated by the hot engine which may have been adding to the carb issue (perhaps). Anyway, have installed a new thermo switch on radiator that is activating the electric fan earlier and keeping the engine running within limits. I'll change the water pump too as its sounds like the bearing is on its way out and hopefully the combination of reducing heat under the bonnet and the Grose Jet will put this issue to bed once and for all. Thanks as always for advice. Pete
    GreenBlood and Vincenzo like this.

Thread Information