Citroen Xsara N1 2003 current dealership charges shock!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Citroen Xsara N1 2003 current dealership charges shock!

Default Citroen Xsara N1 2003 current dealership charges shock!

How is this?

Is this the standard now?

Oil and filter change = $330.00. A component of 213.00 for labour… My God Almighty!

I change my oil and filter on The French Tart, plus run a can of SA459 through it in about 40 minutes.

On the Xsara had the coolant changed and brake fluid changed also. Labour was $71.00 and $56.80 respectively. Complained to the dealership and their comment was, "Our rate for an oil and filter change is $330.00 including parts." Never again.

Advertisement

That car is in Toowoomba, so had to arrange on phone etc.

It this the norm?
    The French Tart… 207cc Sport THP150 and now a RCZ Mk2 THP200

Daylight robbery.! Which dealer was this.?
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Quote Originally Posted by CXVingtCinq View Post
    Daylight robbery.! Which dealer was this.?

West-Star Motors
    Cnr James & Hume Streets
    Toowoomba Qld 4350

I feel pissed off, but I'll get over it tomorrow...

1000+ Posts

It is the norm for a stealer. How do think the nickname came about? There's likely a charge for rags and so on there too. The charge for the filter, oil, brake fluid etc will likely be over the top as well.

This kind of exploitation will get worse with the long warranties being offered at the moment. Keeping the software secret deliberately handicaps the independent repairers.

I would be also. Spouse has a VW Jetta and has had it serviced at Wippells (once). They also know how to charge like wounded bulls.

I recommend a drive up to Mount Tamborine with the top down to soothe the soul.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

You sure are right… foolish me… I didn't think to ask the cost, thinking it would be circa $100.00 labour.
    Last edited by 207cc Sport; 14th May 2016 at 03:59 PM.

This is why I always service my own vehicles. I am then sure that I have high quality oils etc. and that all work I deem necessary is actually done.
    shanadoo and Buttercup like this.
    Cheers Gerry

If you have to use a dealer, always as for a quote when you book it in. At least then you have a basis to argue if the charge exceeds the quote especailly if they have done extra work without your approval.

Cheers, Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Finding any service person who charges less than $100 per hour let us know. Poor dealers are set to the charges set mostly by the Importers- like wise the price for parts. Often they even have to pay for their own advertising. They don,t all appear to be Northern Beaches of Sydney toffs.

1000+ Posts

I know 2 places - one in the bush and one in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by CXVingtCinq View Post
    I would be also. Spouse has a VW Jetta and has had it serviced at Wippells (once). They also know how to charge like wounded bulls.

I recommend a drive up to Mount Tamborine with the top down to soothe the soul.
    It's out warranty ? I thought all VAG vehicles in warranty are capped price. Ours certainly is for 5 years.

Fellow Frogger!

Dealers are forced to work to factory service times and procedures, we all know this, but following those service procedures to the letter is the difference between profit and loss. In some workshops, programed servicing is usually performed by an unqualified 'serviceman' whose cost to the dealer is less than a qualified tradesman, fair enough. However, fixed price servicing is profit all the way and is designed to hoodwink the owner into thinking he's getting a better deal 'ie' cheaper/better, until the end of warranty, usually close to where the manufacture's recommended vehicle replacement time/mileage arrives.
    Examples of factory servicing may or may not involve an oil change at a specific service mileage. And again depending on manufactures recommendation it may not even involve an oil filter change, it may however involve a tire rotation but not a brake pad check, which is done at a later service mileage. Different items are checked at different mileage, not every service. But at the present time, owners are tricked into accepting fixed price servicing to get the extended warranty.
    The last distributor/dealer I worked for ran a monthly personnel efficiency program, which was simply all mechanics working to impossible factory time schedules. Although much to the other guys gripes and jibes I always managed a minimum of 98%. Buggered if I know how. Still don't.
    So servicing? any registered garage can do warranty servicing simply because servicing is not warranty, there's no legal requirement for you to change your oil, but you'll have to check the fine print in your contract regarding extended warranty or you may find your 4yr cut down to 3. So go find a mechanic who's reasonable in price, efficient and dependable or do it yourself. That way you can't gripe about the price.

PS about that pricing, one dealership I worked for even charged the owner if the mechanic used a file during the repair. Don't know how they worked out the chargeable wear percentage. Cheers.

Re Shanadoo's comment, I reckon that's a very good summary. Not easy to run a profitable workshop. I have a 1980s Renault Australia "service times" book and they don't allow much slack. I guess if you were properly set up and doing a large turnover, you could make it work, but hard for smaller shops where some jobs are not seen often.

Re 98%, does you credit. Hard work and smart work, I'd suggest.

Wear on files. Hmm. Perhaps take the square root of the replacement frequency in months and multiply by guineas/season, then take 2% per use.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

The vehicle in question is 13 years old.

Comment back from West-Star motors:
    "We charge $330 for a standard charge for an oil and filter change which includes the scan check for any fault codes as well."

I only asked for an oil/filter change not a scan check - which again takes about five minutes.

Fellow Frogger!

But after all they are owned by the Benz dealership so they do know a thing or two about service charges.

Quote Originally Posted by 207cc Sport View Post
    The vehicle in question is 13 years old.

Comment back from West-Star motors:
    "We charge $330 for a standard charge for an oil and filter change which includes the scan check for any fault codes as well."

I only asked for an oil/filter change not a scan check - which again takes about five minutes.

Piss them off and find someone new!
    Cheers Gerry

gerrypro - agreed. I will not use or recommend these dudes ever...

But I'm still a bit pissed off, so have sent the Dealer Principle this letter:

Hope you all enjoy and I'll keep you posted...

Dear Sir,

RE: OIL & FILTER Change – Citroen Xsara 2003 model

I write to you regarding the labor charge attributed to my ninety-three year old mother-on-law’s above stated vehicle.

Please refer to your service document # zzzzzzzzzz.

I requested a basic oil & filter change, plus other items, i.e. coolant flush and brake fluid change.

To my shock, she paid $213.00 labor and $116.72 for oil and filter. Total $329.72 for a simple oil change. When I queried the excessive labor change, your rep replied with, quote:
    “We charge $330 for a standard charge for an oil and filter change which includes the scan check for any fault codes as well.”
    I was not happy with the response, which seemed a bit too curt. Hence my letter to you.

I did not ask for a scan, as I have a diagnostic tool, which allows me to do so. There were no fault codes when you received the car. Either way, and I have seen it done, a scan takes about 10 minutes to perform. Her Citroen is not a Mercedes AMG GT, so a very basic procedure to access the oil filter.

Brought back a memory of waiting for some work being done on a Pug 207, in Brisbane. I sat in the Service lounge, which overlooked the workshop. Saw a Pug 306 (or Xsara) go up on the hoist; mechanic dragged an oil catch pan under the sump; unfit the sump plug and walked away. I timed him (not really) at the most 120 seconds. Then after five mins put the sump plug back (I noticed he used a new plug washer) and did it up.
    He then lowered the vehicle, and added the specified oil amount into the donk, removed the old oil filter and screwed in the new one and dropped the hood. Another twenty minutes… So 25 mins work - and she was changed $213.00, that's $8.50 a minute! Now I'm aware of wages; overheads; rent, etc.… but... taking advantage of a 93-year-old senior citizen, whom we financially support, is shameful.

Would you please answer this question? If you charge $213.00 to physically change oil and oil filter, then why do you charge only $71.00 to physically change the engine coolant and only $56.80 to physically change the brake fluid? Refer # zzzz. Both of these jobs are more involved and timelier than a simple oil change.

We are thinking about calling WIN TV and The Chronicle. Headline might read, ‘Local Mercedes Benz Dealership charges a 93 year old widow $330.00 for an oil change on her 13 year old car.’

I await your compromise.

Yours sincerely,
    Me...

All you AussieFroggers - see you on 'the barricade at dawn'...
    Last edited by 207cc Sport; 14th May 2016 at 04:06 PM.

That's well and good, if you go to the media she may be crowdfunded to get a new car with capped price servicing and five year warranty.
    STALLED likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    That's well and good, if you go to the media she may be crowdfunded to get a new car with capped price servicing and five year warranty.

lol, why not?

Having bought a new car recently, I am faced with the prospect of it having no real warranty - because there is no way in hell I will ever have it "serviced by a qualified mechanic". Today’s first oil change cost me $68 for synthetic oil and $20 for filter and about half an hour of my Saturday afternoon.

5 minutes is not nearly enough time to let it drain. I leave them at least a couple of hours, and they're still dripping...

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Having bought a new car recently, I am faced with the prospect of it having no real warranty - because there is no way in hell I will ever have it "serviced by a qualified mechanic". Today’s first oil change cost me $68 for synthetic oil and $20 for filter and about half an hour of my Saturday afternoon.

5 minutes is not nearly enough time to let it drain. I leave them at least a couple of hours, and they're still dripping...
    I have serviced four cars from brand new. Never had a service at a dealership. Special jobs - timing belt/chain; suspension; clutch omitted.

Whenever I took the French Tart there (even for warranty work), it came back with more problems from incompetent mechanics.

If you want a Citroen mechanic in Toowoomba, I suggest Mark Brackstone Motors.

Roger
    207cc Sport likes this.

1000+ Posts

Did you have the oil and filter changed, the coolant flushed and presumably changed, and the brake fluid flushed and changed, or what? You're not clear on that.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Did you have the oil and filter changed, the coolant flushed and presumably changed, and the brake fluid flushed and changed, or what? You're not clear on that.
    Yes, to all three.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    If you want a Citroen mechanic in Toowoomba, I suggest Mark Brackstone Motors.

Roger
    Thanks muchly... Will use them...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information