• 1 Post By Fingers
  • 1 Post By Dijon16
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By wilrex
  • 2 Post By wilrex

Thread: hoist up

Fellow Frogger!

Default hoist up

citmen wish to put c5 on two post hoist. what height setting please thanks tomfrog

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

won't matter ... the wheels will dangle down uselessly as soon as the hoist take the weight from them. Remember to start the car and allow it to lift back up before trying to remove it from the hoist!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

I would suggest putting it on high - had my Xantia hoisted once without doing so, and the weight of the suspension hanging down seemed to suck air into the hydraulics - was pretty soft and bouncy until the air worked it's way out..

Cheers

Alec
    Fingers and jaahn like this.

I would just love to have a hoist...
    The French TartÖ 207cc Sport THP150 and now a RCZ Mk2 THP200

Fellow Frogger!

When you look at the cost of servicing,
    a hoist will quickly pay for itself,plus you save all the time spent travelling to the dealer.
    Woody
    CarNut likes this.

As has been suggested Geoff, you need to put it on high.

The manual itself says to put it on high before jacking the body for a wheel change.

Presumably the hoist would have the same kind of action of lifting the body as the jack would.

There was a recent thread about that action making the hydraulic lines pull apart!
    addo likes this.

You guys are all worrying about nothing. You put the car on high before changing a wheel just so you don't have to jack it as far (or to clear the rear wheel arches). you will definitely NOT pull apart hydraulic lines. the wheels dangling is the same as putting it on high.
    JohnW likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

The only occurrence with putting the car on a hoist without raising it into the high position is that the piston rods will separate from the pistons as the car is lifted. But what the hell does that matter?
    Cheers Gerry

I hope everyone noticed that a bloke in Sydney was killed the other day under a car. Can't be too careful if you haven't a hoist. Or if you have I suppose.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Default C5 on high !

Quote Originally Posted by Dijon16 View Post
    The manual itself says to put it on high before jacking the body for a wheel change.

Presumably the hoist would have the same kind of action of lifting the body as the jack would.

There was a recent thread about that action making the hydraulic lines pull apart!
    Hi
    Dijon is correct, put it on high. Then the wheels are down as far as they go and it is all stable when you return to earth again. Other wise the wheels take no load for some minutes and the car sits grounded till you turn the ignition on and the pump gets the height back to the setting.

There should be no problem with any hydraulic lines as the high position is a normal position. However the return lines on the front of a C5 can be a bit fragile when they get old and the rubber is a bit brittle. Just check them visually to see they are good.
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks citmen .up on the hoist she goes as i am chaseing damper settings.Fingers.can your machine read BHI output info Thanks tomfrog.

Quote Originally Posted by tomfrog View Post
    Thanks citmen .up on the hoist she goes as i am chaseing damper settings.Fingers.can your machine read BHI output info Thanks tomfrog.
    I don't know, there is but one way to find out

The answer to the original question depends upon what work you plan to do.

Putting it on Max high makes it easier to position the lift pads and when you lower the car it will stand on it's suspension. However, while on the hoist the suspension system will remain pressurised and the suspension under load. Not good for doing hydraulic work, bump stops, checking ball joints etc.

My prefered method is to drive on in a high position, place lift pads then select the lowest position to settle the car before lifting. I assume on a C5 this would "relax" the suspension?
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I hope everyone noticed that a bloke in Sydney was killed the other day under a car. Can't be too careful if you haven't a hoist. Or if you have I suppose.

Reminds me of one of the last episodes of the TV series 'Blue Healers', when Sgt. Tom 'visits' the killer of his wife… The killer is found later crushed under a car, caused by a collapsed jack… Go figure?

I always use axel stands… and if I quickly use a jack on one side, a long block of wood (6 x 6) is placed next to the jack...

Be careful...
    Last edited by 207cc Sport; 14th May 2016 at 06:14 PM. Reason: typos...
    The French TartÖ 207cc Sport THP150 and now a RCZ Mk2 THP200

A hoist is essentially essential.
    I use this one for all cars, made up a set of external pads for the ID19.
    It will take the heavy Riley, and all the rellies stuff, like RangeRovers etc, and the neighbours as well.
    hoist up-image.jpg

Rex B
    207cc Sport likes this.
    2CV6 Special Green, Riley RMB, RX7 Rotary, Jensen Healey, 1896 Ford A replica, and last but not least 1961 Citroen ID19-P... Previous include, 27 Chev Truck, 24 Bean Truck, 27 Chev Capitol, Rover S105, Humber Hawk x 2, MGB, Ford AA Truck, Ford A, elderly motorbikes x6, and more...

How does your hoist handle living outside I would have thought they wouldn't have been water proof

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I think with a C5 you depressurise using a command in the Lexia.

Alternatively, if you have one side of a C5 jacked up, when not on the highest setting, ( just have it on the normal ride setting) and make sure the car battery is DISCONNECTED ( so that the HP pump cannot just randomly turn on) ...the negative pressure will effectively depressurise the jacked side. Before you disconnect the battery, after you have it jacked on either side, select the low setting, let it settle, then disconnect the battery before you undo the wheel sphere.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    How does your hoist handle living outside I would have thought they wouldn't have been water proof

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Hi Shane, if the oil can't get out, the water can't get in. That's my theory anyway.
    Keep plenty of oil around the chains and cables, squirt some up the inside running pads, and a bit of grease on the shafts.
    I made a cover for the motor, but the only trouble I've had was with ultra violet light making the oil supply tank brittle, so paint it.
    Also paint the whole thing to match the house. Keeps everybody happy.
    The power is a 15 amp cable into a 15 amp plug in the shed. One double 10 amp PowerPoint was replaced with a single 15 amp powerpoint .
    Also useful for a welder and compressor.
    The foundations are in a H pattern with concrete in a trench about 2500x400x300 with 20mm diameter x 450 long thread bolts set in the reinforcing. Throw away the dynabolts they supply with the hoist. Takes about 1cubic metre of concrete.

Rex B
    207cc Sport and DoubleChevron like this.
    2CV6 Special Green, Riley RMB, RX7 Rotary, Jensen Healey, 1896 Ford A replica, and last but not least 1961 Citroen ID19-P... Previous include, 27 Chev Truck, 24 Bean Truck, 27 Chev Capitol, Rover S105, Humber Hawk x 2, MGB, Ford AA Truck, Ford A, elderly motorbikes x6, and more...

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    seeya,
    Shane L.
    Hi Shane,
    This has been answered already by Wilrex but I would just add there are plenty of hoists around at service stations that are outside. The service station/tire place near me has two inside and two outside for the last 15+ years. Minimal servicing too I would say
    Jaahn

Thread Information