Finally, a C5 towbar at the wreckers.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Finally, a C5 towbar at the wreckers.

Hi Froggers,
    it was a lucky day I guess. I had a look last night at posted photos of C5s currently being wrecked at my local wreckers. Couldn't see any sign of a towbar. Then I had an idea, that maybe a Renault Laguna from the same year approx might be the same. Found one of those in their photos section, and it had a towbar. So this was my mission, go have a look. Remove the towbar from the Laguna, then see if it matched by fitting it up against one of the C5s also there at the wreckers.
    I took a trolley and tools, found the Laguna, but no...the towbar was already gone from the vehicle. Then I had a look at another C5 which was a recent arrival, and WOW...it had a towbar. So finally, I found one.
    It is a genuine Citroen one too, with a metal stamped and welded Citroen plate with part numbers etc.
    It was ridiculously cheap.
    It was probably the 12th or 13th visit over the last year , looking for a towbar. I recently posted that I'd given up looking for one, so I bought one for my wife's car. Fitted that about 6 months ago. Well, we sold that car a couple of weeks ago. That's just how it goes.
    Very happy with this , it seems very over engineered, really heavy.

Advertisement

I hope you took the harness and interface box as well!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I hope you took the harness and interface box as well!
    Hi Addo, I took everything, which included socket and wiring, right to the loom. There was NO interface box. The wires were merely linked in to the loom. It's not what I expected, but it's what I found.
    I haven't fitted the bar or the wiring yet. I might add an interface module when I fit everything.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    I do not wish to appear a know all here. But I made a tow bar for my C5 some years ago. I have made a few over the years and it was as easy as any I have done. The holes are there. Neat and tidy job too with only the flat tongue visible and removable leaving a neat hole in the bumper. Much better looking than the other ones I saw. Those horrible bars with a square hole that everyones loves are not to my liking.
    I found a genuine C5 wiring kit in England and it just plugged in. But needed the trailer sockets changing.
    Jaahn

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    I do not wish to appear a know all here. But I made a tow bar for my C5 some years ago. I have made a few over the years and it was as easy as any I have done. The holes are there. Neat and tidy job too with only the flat tongue visible and removable leaving a neat hole in the bumper. Much better looking than the other ones I saw. Those horrible bars with a square hole that everyones loves are not to my liking.
    I found a genuine C5 wiring kit in England and it just plugged in. But needed the trailer sockets changing.
    Jaahn
    The $$$ is in the wiring loom he found I used a relay/isolation box on the 407.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information