• 3 Post By mberry
  • 1 Post By JBN
  • 1 Post By Stuey
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By mberry
  • 1 Post By Ken H

Thread: 123 Ignition

Default 123 Ignition

I installed a 123 ignition that I had from a few years ago. I was keen to maintain the originality of that particular car so I ended up having the distributor reconditioned and the 123 became surplus.
    Decided to donate the distributor from the D Special to another car and and consequently installed the 123 into the D Special.
    I have to say, I'm really enjoying it. Haven't had a chance to really road test it in top gear and up hills, but the early indications around town are great, car is going like the clappers, you wouldn't normally hear anyone say that about a D Special. Once you get rid of the brown cap, there wouldn't be too many that would pick it.

Very happy!

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 123 Ignition-123.jpg   123 Ignition-123-2.jpg  
    Last edited by mberry; 10th May 2016 at 07:35 PM.
    GreenBlood, JohnW and Boyracer like this.

I'm selling my 123, if anyone wants it. PM me.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

JBN

I am putting points back into my Raid 2CV after having the 123 pack up in Marrickville one night, costing me a $200 flatbed trip to Sutherland. I have since had the card replaced ins the 123 and it is now on the town 2CV. I will put a Luminition ignition on the Raid car as it is easily converted back to points, which may be handy if it stuffs up in the middle of nowhere.

John
    addo likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    ...but the early indications around town are great, car is going like the clappers, you wouldn't normally hear anyone say that about a D Special. Once you get rid of the brown cap, there wouldn't be too many that would pick it...
    And what about the brown cardigan...?
    Ken H likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    Once you get rid of the brown cap, there wouldn't be too many that would pick it.

Very happy!
    Hi mberry. My first post here on Aussiefrogs.

That picture looks fantastic and seems to answer a question i've had! I'm restoring my 1968 DS21 and it currently has a flat topped black Ducellier distributor cap. I assumed that if i switched to 123, I would have to use the cap that comes with the distributor or an alternative 123 cap. They seem to do a 'top exit' and 'stacked', but 123 don't seem to offer a flat top equivalent for the DS. What cap have you used please? Is it a 123 product is it conventional cap that just happens to fit?

Regards from the UK
    Budge

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Hi Budge! Welcome to the Dark Side.
    JohnW likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

The 'brown cardigan' stays, there is no way the car could proceed without it.
    Stuey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post

That picture looks fantastic and seems to answer a question i've had! I'm restoring my 1968 DS21 and it currently has a flat topped black Ducellier distributor cap. I assumed that if i switched to 123, I would have to use the cap that comes with the distributor or an alternative 123 cap. They seem to do a 'top exit' and 'stacked', but 123 don't seem to offer a flat top equivalent for the DS. What cap have you used please? Is it a 123 product is it conventional cap that just happens to fit?

Regards from the UK
    Budge
    The cap in the picture is a Ducellier cap, so my guess is anything that would have fit your Ducellier will be ok. Clean up your existing 'flat top' cap and fit it to your 123, you will know straight away.
    If you're unconvinced why not test the cap that came with the 123 ignition on the distributor that you have in the car. Then you can be certain it will fit.
    Last edited by mberry; 11th May 2016 at 11:29 AM.

John,
    hope you don't forget that even with Lumenition, you will need to carry an unmodified points box, since the post for the moving contact has to be removed when installing a Lumenition kit.

I've been mucking around with making my own electronic ignitions since the 1980s; this is the one I use nowadays, based on the readily available Accuspark kits for vehicles with a distributor.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/301328...posted-public/
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I am putting points back into my Raid 2CV after having the 123 pack up in Marrickville one night, costing me a $200 flatbed trip to Sutherland. I have since had the card replaced ins the 123 and it is now on the town 2CV. I will put a Luminition ignition on the Raid car as it is easily converted back to points, which may be handy if it stuffs up in the middle of nowhere.

John
    mberry likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the welcome Hotrodelectric. I hope i don't have need of your services (!), although with a 68 I have the inevitable problems of a front loom that has hardened and crumbled to dust - so major surgery or a full replacement will be needed. Shame - as i really don't like those new little coloured tags on the repos. Sure you can tell which wire is which, but they just look too modern to my eyes.

Thanks for confirming its a Ducellier mberry. I haven't bought the 123 yet as I was still deep in the naval-gazing stage. My car is off the road (engine out for a rebuild - my first), so instead i will take my Ducellier cap along to the UK DS rally in June and try it on someone elses 123

When you order your 123Ignition, you can specify side entry or top entry - or at least you can with the Renault offerings. I can't imagine the Citroen ones would be much different. The dutch site seems to be the best I have found "leepak.com.nl" from memory.

http://www.123ignition.nl/id/6.html
    KB

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
    John,
    hope you don't forget that even with Lumenition, you will need to carry an unmodified points box, since the post for the moving contact has to be removed when installing a Lumenition kit.

Ken
    Thanks for the reminder, Ken. Yes, I do have both a Lumenition box and a normal points box.

Ideally, I will get a new Lumenition as the old one died after over 22 years service. Sadly the 123 died after about 5 years, but lives on in my daily car after being refurbished. For Raid conditions, particularly river crossings, I prefer the lesser exposure of Lumenition compared with 123. With the latter, if water should get in, the whole unit is cactus. With Lumenition, I doubt that the light sensor is a susceptible and the main electronic componentry is well out of the way on the bulkhead.

You obviously have a liking for galvanised chassis. Do you manufacture them or are you a major distributor of them? Or worse, do you have that many 2CV's with rotted chassis?

John

Regards from the UK
    Budge
    I got a 'black' cap for my 123 on my D Super complete with rotor arm from Citrotech in Holland. The cap is made by Valeo. The box is in the car so will get a part number over the weekend and post it.
    1952 Citroen Traction Avant 11 BL naturally in Black
    1974 Citroen D Super in 'Bleu Delta'

John,
    apologies for being a bit slow to reply, but my plan to ease off into retirement doesn't seem to be working too well...
    ( Two chassis en route to separate destinations in Australia at the moment, with an AKS400 type parked here ready to go to Sweden in a few days.)

I've been making chassis since 1994 and have sold over 2,400 of them to date, but haven't advertised since the 2CV World Meeting at Kelso in 2005, so I guess there are still quite a few folk out there with OE chassis that have passed their 'sell-by' date.

Anyhow, it looks as though the 2CV which I put together for Peta (Carter/Allingham) a while back will be setting off for its fifth Raid Australia in a little while, so hope this isn't the year that the wheels fall off that wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    You obviously have a liking for galvanised chassis. Do you manufacture them or are you a major distributor of them? Or worse, do you have that many 2CV's with rotted chassis?
    John

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Shame - as i really don't like those new little coloured tags on the repos. Sure you can tell which wire is which, but they just look too modern to my eyes.
    What do you mean by colored tags? I've not looked at one of the CitronPieces harnesses for quite awhile now. I use shrink tubing in the correct colors. I even have the mauve. If you get at the point where you need it now, I can supply you with some. Unfortunately, it isn't just the front. You'll need to replace everything from the dash forward, as the main loom is all one piece, and the black is interlaced throughout. The rear and fender looms aren't quite the problem, as they normally don't contain the black wire.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

That would be great!

Here is an image of the Valeo 'Black' distributor Cap for a 123 Dizzy, Cap is right angled lead entry as per original.

123 Ignition-ds_dizzy_cap.jpg
    1952 Citroen Traction Avant 11 BL naturally in Black
    1974 Citroen D Super in 'Bleu Delta'

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks very much. I will do some research. Will you be at the UK D rally in s couple of weeks time?

Fellow Frogger!

Hmmm.... That reference number comes up with a 'straight' cap, rather than right angle - and i can now see that that is what the picture on the Valeo box shows. Mberry (who started this thread) found a ruight angle cap that fitted his 123. looking at your vale box, it doesn't seem to be specially made for 123, so maybe I can get away with using my Ducellier cap when i get my 123.

Fellow Frogger!

Funnily enough when I bought a 123 for my ds 12 months ago it came with the right angles cap. Perhaps you just need to contact the supplier

Hmmm.... That reference number comes up with a 'straight' cap, rather than right angle - and i can now see that that is what the picture on the Valeo box shows. Mberry (who started this thread) found a ruight angle cap that fitted his 123. looking at your vale box, it doesn't seem to be specially made for 123, so maybe I can get away with using my Ducellier cap when i get my 123.

Fellow Frogger!

I'm sure you're right. As I'm restoring my car, i haven't got as far as the distributor yet. I'm just planning ahead! I've got a couple of great leads and possibles from AF so Im sure i can sort it out. I'm going to take a Ducellier cap to the UK 'D Rally' in June and see if anyone with 123 will let me try it on their car.

I'll repeat again for those who missed it in post #11, you can specify when you order your 123. See the link above in that post.

"It comes with an angled distributor-cap, for easy access to the sparkplug-leads.
    Might you prefer un upright cap, please specify a '123\DS-R
    '"
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

From what i have seen, the angled cap is a 'stacked' cap- not one with all five sockets flat and in parallel to each other, like the one in picture in post 1

Thread Information