Service Interval Citroen C5
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ScotFrog

Thread: Service Interval Citroen C5

Fellow Frogger!

Default Service Interval Citroen C5

Was wondering what most C5 owners do in relation to service intervals. Do they stick to whichever comes first (timeframe or kilometres travelled) or pick one or the other (eg service every 15k or once every year). Our dealer advises that our 2012 3.0L is only scheduled for services every 20K. Seems a bit long? They suggested we could have it done every 15k instead, but then it is hard to get log book to line up with service interval.
    How often should fuel filter be changed (is there somewhere in manual that this is detailed)?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Specified intervals (arduous conditions are less):
    2L - 15000 km
    >2L - 20000 km

The previous distributor spec'd 20000 km for both. Their handbook is more detailed:
    Diesel fuel filter - 20000 km
    Auto transmission - 60000 km
    Air filter - 40000 km

I do my oil & filter yearly.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Specified intervals (arduous conditions are less):
    2L - 15000 km
    >2L - 20000 km

The previous distributor spec'd 20000 km for both. Their handbook is more detailed:
    Diesel fuel filter - 20000 km
    Auto transmission - 60000 km
    Air filter - 40000 km

I do my oil & filter yearly.
    Same, same.
    I do my filters and oil year about with the dealer alternating. They then conduct a more thorough safety check than I can at the same time
    SF
    JohnW likes this.

My 2L RHR has 20000km service interval programmed into the BSI but there is also a 12 month time interval which also bring up the spanner service symbol and alarms which ever comes first.

So between those two constraints, I end up doing my oil and filter between 15 and 20kkm and man that oil is black and loaded with stuff. I change a fuel filter if the car starts to miss under power or before I go on a long trip to a Cit-in or similar as I find a new filter gives much better overtaking acceleration and the engine feels much more urgent. So that ends up about once a year.

I have also been doing a 4-5 litre double swop out oil change on the AM6 every 60kkm as SF suggests and can feel the difference in change afterwards. I thought they were filled for life and not on a 60kkm change schedule!!

I also changed the coolant recently and managed to follow the mechanics handbook diagrams and drain the block as well. I used Nulon red OATS coolant. Thankfully the original coolant came out very clean. I will be braining up on changing the brake fluid next time some pads (and maybe discs) are due.

No ill effects from this schedule yet at 132kkm - fingers crossed. I guess there will be some more fun coming up with a cambelt due in 50kkm and an eloys alarm sometime during that period.

I have had to change both outer driveshaft boots due to failures.

Cheers,

Ken W

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you all for the feedback, it is much appreciated.

Yes Ken W, I noticed my oil looked rather dirty after only about 10k and so that made me think 15k recommended by dealer was suitable. However, someone else told me that the oil in diesels tends to look dirtier than in petrol cars? Another factor was that I didn't want to be changing oil at 15k but fuel filter etc at 20k (ie, 2 different services). Did think about just having oil and oil filter changed at 10k and the rest of the service done every 20K? Against this, if Citroen engineers suggest 20k intervals for oil changes then you would think they would be confident it would be okay (unless operating under harsh conditions, which ours is not). Finally, given the price of oil ($110+ by dealer), filters etc, would be sad to think we were changing them more frequently than was necessary. Added to this, tyre costs are also quite significant - only 30k from front tyres and at $395 a tyre to replace, need to watch that we don't over-service the car (as much as I love it!)

1000+ Posts

Oils suitable for diesels have a high detergent content, hence the speed with which they blacken. It's what you want to see. It's also why you don't neglect the oil filter and oil change.

If you do your own services, the oil is a lot cheaper - there's another thread or two about this. The correct spec C2 is super critical to keep the system and the particle filter clean. The two OEM filters cost a lot less from after market suppliers too, say about $15 and $32 retail.

The state of the fuel filter depends on the service station tanks as much as anything - some supplies need changing more often. Also the fuel filter housing has a water trap. This collects condensation from both the servo and your fuel tank. They have a drain screw and tube that leads the stuff away - put a glass jar under it to see what you get, with some fuel floating on top.
    Last edited by seasink; 10th May 2016 at 11:20 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Seasink. Regarding filters for the C5 3.0L, I don't think Ryco make the Diesel or or Air filters? Do you know of any other OEM manufacturer?

I have been buying from a 3rd party citroen/peugeot service agent or buying a filter kit through ebay uk that has oil, fuel, pollen, and air filter made by FRAM. Most of the separate filters I've bought seem to be Valeo. Try EAI or Caravelle in Melbourne if you don't have a 3rd party mechanic locally.

Cheers, Ken

1000+ Posts

I bought a set of French Purflux filters from EAI: European Auto Imports at Thornleigh recently. The cabin filter is the dearest.

Tadpole

Thank you, Seasink. I just followed the link to go get an air filter for my C5 Diesel. What I gathered is that the local Ryco does not have the foam pre-filter that the Purflux one has. That's just what I wanted.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Air Conditioner Service

The Maintenance Guide recommends servicing of the air conditioner every two years; what exactly does the AC service entail?
    Last edited by turnbull151; 2nd September 2017 at 09:08 AM.

Thread Information