DS Electrics
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Errol_S

Thread: DS Electrics

Default DS Electrics

I have a strange issue with a 1970 DS20 electrics. There is no power to any part of the body, only to the engine. The motor turns but will not start as the coil has no power. No lights, no interior lights, no battery charge warning etc. in the instrument cluster.

Advertisement

This is what I have done / tested thus far;
    • There is 13.4V across the battery terminals
    • All fuses and housings cleaned
    • Battery terminals cleaned
    • Earth to the body checked

It certainly appears as if a faulty earth should be the problem, but this has been checked, and rechecked. In another post I found similar symptoms to these which seemed to point to a voltage regulator, but I am flummoxed.

Any suggestions?

Regards
    Errol

Think I'd check the ignition switch and wiring to it.

Cheers

Marc
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Hi Errol
    I have had a similar problem. (This may or may not be the issue with yours).
    The 69_ 70 year models had a problem with bad wire used in the loom, only the black wire.
    The copper corrodes and becomes brittle and disintegrates.
    Mine showed itself with the starter wire from the key switch that earths the solinoid on the battery terminal.
    I have had to run a temporary wire till I can replace the wiring loom.
    When I investigated under the dash I found the crumbling wiring.
    Sorry , I hope is it something else.

Steve

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Errol,I had this problem too,it was caused by a rat behind the dash ,wires are like caviar to a rat.
    Woody

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Errol_S View Post
    I have a strange issue with a 1970 DS20 electrics. There is no power to any part of the body, only to the engine. The motor turns but will not start as the coil has no power. No lights, no interior lights, no battery charge warning etc. in the instrument cluster.

This is what I have done / tested thus far;
    • There is 13.4V across the battery terminals
    • All fuses and housings cleaned
    • Battery terminals cleaned
    • Earth to the body checked

It certainly appears as if a faulty earth should be the problem, but this has been checked, and rechecked. In another post I found similar symptoms to these which seemed to point to a voltage regulator, but I am flummoxed.

Any suggestions?

Regards
    Errol
    On your fuses, you should see battery power at the red, green, and blue fuses. These three fuses affect almost everything on your car, save for most of the exterior lighting and the ignition coil power. Since you've checked battery condition (I'm assuming at rest) and you say you've checked the main ground (should be battery to waterpump housing), my next thought would be pull the instruments out and see if you can find any damage. Checking the ignition switch connection is an excellent idea.

How well was the car running before now?

I had one DS that I had to rewire twice- once to get it roadable, again to effect a permanent repair. The reason was rodents had eaten virtually everything from the firewall forward. You would be amazed at how efficiently those little so-and-sos can get into a space you thought sealed.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have sourced a donor ignition so will start with that.

The car was running perfectly. Switched off in the garage a week ago, and then this. Everything on this DS is still original, in fact it is possibly one of the best examples in SA of a well looked after Citroen - only 62k since new. Of course that means nothing to a rat.

I will post progress.

Errol

The big #10 wire from the alternator to the battery is duffed.
    Failing that, HRE take point.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    The big #10 wire from the alternator to the battery is duffed.
    Failing that, HRE take point.
    He's complaining about no power to anything. It is possible the charge wire is broken away from the fuse connections (it all splices together right about where the wire makes a "U" bend between the alt and the firewall), but I don't think so- he's actually showing over voltage at rest. Being a 1970, it is very possible the wiring is showing the usual flaking and chipping of the insulation. If it's bad enough, the wire corrodes to basically green dust.

Errol, have you gotten into the wiring and tried to do your own repairs? That's a serious question. A D, simple as the systems actually are, can be pretty confusing if you don't know what goes where.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

It turned out to be a faulty ignition switch. Strange to say "what a relief", but compared to the horror stories of rats and disintegrated wires it really is.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Errol
    Hotrodelectric and addo like this.

Now is the time to fit a big red starter button with the word POWER??

And, fit relays to everything, even the starter solenoid. Your switch will thank you

Peter

Thread Information