C5 X7 Lateral Rocking
  • Register
  • Help

Default C5 X7 Lateral Rocking

HI. I posted the following on the UK C5 forum but I wonder if anyone here has had a similar experience?.........

I've now done about 5000km in my '09 X7 Tourer Exclusive and I find that the vehicle is particularly prone to rocking side to side in any unevenness in the road surface. Occasionally, there is also a different sensation whereby it feels like the rear tyres get caught in a small rut in the tar seal and the rear of the car gets nudged sideways slightly. It can be quite disconcerting, as I've not experienced this to the same level with any other car I've owned, including my XM, CX, BX, DS's and other makes of conventionally sprung vehicles.
    It really does detract from the whole smooth suspension experience which is the main reason I traded my Passat in on the C5.
    I've checked tyre pressures, and rotated the tyres (Michelins on front / Pirellis on rear), but what else could be the cause, or is this just a normal characteristic with this model and something I will have to accept?

Many thanks.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

I'm not sure whether the problem is roll or slipping sideways. Either way, hydraulic Cits depend on the anti-roll bar and its bushes.

Fellow Frogger

I do recall some quite early sedans I drove seemed to have a more pronounced side to side rocking motion than later examples, so they may have altered something after a few years. There were a few different roll bars listed, so it could be the later cars are a bit stiffer in some way. Or it may be that the bushes are now a bit soggy at the back, remembering it is a multi-link design, so there is more possibility of the wheels squirming around a bit. The bushes in the front end are the same as for a C6 and the rear bottom arm bush and eye bush in the bottom of the uprights are known to fail or wear badly. Rear tyres can sometimes tend to scallop a little, so run your hand over them and look for an undulating surface. Another possible issue is the wheel alignment. It might be worth doing a full alignment check. Chatting to a technician a while back, he said he'd needed to do this on a couple of C6s (not for your specific problem though) and the improvement was substantial. The jury was out as to why the alignment was not wuite right, but perhaps things have settled. By far the simplest thing you could try would be to place some weight (sandbags?) in the boot and see what happens.

Yes, I was wondering whether it may be worn bushes? Is there an easy way to check them or does it need to be up on a hoist and have a trained eye look over it? I also have an idea that I read something, somewhere, some time, that someone fitted different (aftermarket?) sway bars to their tourer? Not sure what the problem was that they were trying to rectify but perhaps it was this?

The rear tyresdid have the scallop that you describe when I bought the car at the end of last year, so I rotated them with the front ones but didn't notice any change. I also had a wheel alignment done but they reckon it wasn't that far out in the first place. Which brings me to another question; should a C5 (or any Citroen for that matter), be at its normal ride height when a wheel alignment is performed, i.e. Ignition on so that the electric hydraulic pump operates and raises the vehicle or does it have no bearing on it?

1000+ Posts

The handbook lists reference heights for the alignment values.
    C5 X7 Lateral Rocking-screenshot-2.jpgC5 X7 Lateral Rocking-screenshot-10.jpg

The rear multi-link suspension on the C5 X7 does not track as well as the original trailing arm suspension that citroen have used on its larger cars for the last 55 years. That was also a disappointment for me when I bought mine in 2009. I didn't notice it too much on smooth surfaces but it does jump sideways when it hits a pothole. I have spoken to some purists who would not buy this model because of this issue but I have become more used to it over time as it doesn't upset the line of the car through corners to any major extent.

I havn't been really aware of a side to side motion more than would be the result of the stronger antiroll bars that each model seems to have. This could be exacerbated if the car were stuck in firm mode for some reason. Mine still seems to be switching OK.

Cheers, Ken W

Interesting, thanks Ken. My suspension cycles from normal to sport as it should, and I should have mentioned that the symptoms I described are less evident when in the stiffer, sport mode. I guess it's all just a normal characteristic of this model, then?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    The rear multi-link suspension on the C5 X7 does not track as well as the original trailing arm suspension that citroen have used on its larger cars for the last 55 years. That was also a disappointment for me when I bought mine in 2009. I didn't notice it too much on smooth surfaces but it does jump sideways when it hits a pothole. I have spoken to some purists who would not buy this model because of this issue but I have become more used to it over time as it doesn't upset the line of the car through corners to any major extent.

I havn't been really aware of a side to side motion more than would be the result of the stronger antiroll bars that each model seems to have. This could be exacerbated if the car were stuck in firm mode for some reason. Mine still seems to be switching OK.

Cheers, Ken W

Thread Information