Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By badabec
  • 1 Post By Buttercup

Thread: Best type of blade for D timing chain replacement

Default Best type of blade for D timing chain replacement

Seems too easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9sTK_-E-F4

Advertisement

OK if you want to destroy the structural integrity of the bulkhead. The steel is 1mm thick. Mine had the timing chain changed in this way. The plate was pop riveted back on using aluminium strips. I've welded a 1mm plate over the hole, welded from both sides.

When I pulled the engine out to change the chain, I found the whole engine was worn out....

It was OK when the cars were almost worthless, anything to keep them going, but not now
    GreenBlood and Buttercup like this.

Complete butchery.

Inspired by laziness, encouraged by ignorance about engine overhaul, furthered by the lack of foresight regarding the future of the car, and completed with an angle grinder!

It doesn't take very much longer to do the job properly.

I once had the engine out of my 21 Safari, timing chain replaced, suspension frame cracks welded, 10 other things fixed, everything refitted and driving within 24 hours.
    UFO likes this.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

it might be an 'easy' way to get to it but for starters you'd need to get the seats out to sit in there to fiddle around with the swap. Sitting in the cabin twisted at weird angles whilst poking paws through to fit? Bloody useless.

chomping through the aluminium heat shield? Bloody useless.

I'd tell him to bugger off!

Bloody dickhead!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    it might be an 'easy' way to get to it but for starters you'd need to get the seats out to sit in there to fiddle around with the swap. Sitting in the cabin twisted at weird angles whilst poking paws through to fit? Bloody useless.

chomping through the aluminium heat shield? Bloody useless.

I'd tell him to bugger off!

Bloody dickhead!
    It IS a practical way of accessing the end of the engine....It SHOULD have been a factory modification, GS inner wings were modified with access panels to allow cylinder head removal, so why not do it for DS cars as well ?

There is an old old story of a DS19 from the wild Mt Isa region that had a magneto installed that way, as no doubt the double ended 2cv type coils ( remember this was an early DS NOT an ID ) would have been unobtainable in the pre internet days.

I believe the DS engine should ALL have had the harmonic balancer that was fitted to only some... at least it would allow some other form of power take off as well as the camshaft front end.

Thread Information