• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wilrex

Thread: 1970 D Pedal Height - Clutch Adjustment

Tadpole

Default 1970 D Pedal Height - Clutch Adjustment

Hi
    I am about to check my clutch adjustements but have two manuals which contradict each other in regards to the height of the clutch pedal from the floor.
    One manual says RHD vehicles should be 162-167mm from the under side of the pedal to the floor panel.
    The second manual doesn't differentiate between RHD or LHD cars and states this measurement should be 142mm.
    Is anyone able to help with what the correct measurement should be?
    Many thanks
    Dean

Advertisement

Dunno. But beware there is a 20mm difference in clutch cable lengths which I think came about in 1972. Then you have to assess whether or not a previous owner changed a few big parts somewhere in time as what you think you have may not be what you actually have.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Dean, which manual is which? That is, who wrote what? One thing to remember, too- the measurements are normally with the carpet in place. That 3/4" difference could be with carpet in/carpet out.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

What about foam underlay?

Tadpole

Thanks for that advice I wasn't aware of that change.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Dean, which manual is which? That is, who wrote what? One thing to remember, too- the measurements are normally with the carpet in place. That 3/4" difference could be with carpet in/carpet out.
    Hi the 162mm measurement came out of the Haynes manual. The 142mm measurement came from a repair CD which I believe is a copy of a Citroen published manual. I guess that possibly answers my question - use the Citroen provided measurement. My only concern is that the CD doesn't mention RHD cars (which mine is) and the Haynes manual does.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

I was able to find a factory reference to the right hook cars for your adjustment. Manual 518, DS19/21M, 1966:

From the back of the pedal with pad removed to the floorpan, the measurement is 162mm, +5/-0.

A suggestion ? Email Darrin Brownhill at Citroen Classics in the UK if no one else here answers.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I was able to find a factory reference to the right hook cars for your adjustment. Manual 518, DS19/21M, 1966:

From the back of the pedal with pad removed to the floorpan, the measurement is 162mm, +5/-0.

A suggestion ? Email Darrin Brownhill at Citroen Classics in the UK if no one else here answers.
    Thanks for this, I will send him an email
    regards Dean

Hi, I would approach the problem from the other end. The clutch adjustment by the book may be correct with a new clutch, correctly adjusted fingers, pressure plate as new and cable new and not stretched.
    It is a fact that the three adjustable bolts on the fingers that pull the pressure plate against the springs to disengage the clutch have a habit of stripping, and if one loses its adjustment, it will cause more than a few problems.
    I had two flywheel and clutch assemblies, one was as original, unmolested, the other had the top of the three finger bolts welded over, to prevent any prospect of stripping, or loss of adjustment. Someone obviously had a problem previously.
    The threads on the finger bolts are very fine, and the nuts they pull against are very light pressed material and poorly threaded.
    The problem that can arise is, if the cable is too tight, it will keep pulling after enough travel is reached to release the clutch, if you de-clutch full travel to the floor with the pedal.
    Therefore it makes sense to adjust the pedal travel just enough to release the clutch, leaving some free play for the fingers, with the clutch at floor level, so they do not bottom.

I think I would firstly loosen the adjusting nut on the cable with the pedal on the floor, then carefully adjust the nut up enough to release the clutch, and lock it there.
    Job done.

Rex B
    citroenut likes this.
    2CV6 Special Green, Riley RMB, RX7 Rotary, Jensen Healey, 1896 Ford A replica, and last but not least 1961 Citroen ID19-P... Previous include, 27 Chev Truck, 24 Bean Truck, 27 Chev Capitol, Rover S105, Humber Hawk x 2, MGB, Ford AA Truck, Ford A, elderly motorbikes x6, and more...

Thread Information