DS 23 IE Throttle Cable Replacement
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS 23 IE Throttle Cable Replacement

Any advice as to how to go about an insitu replacement of a throttle cable would be appreciated

Looking at it today, it appears that it would be nice for the motor to come out!

Regards,

John

Advertisement

The cable at its lower end has like a big ring connector on it. That slips over a bush on the passenger side of the big throttle lever that goes under the sump on a RHD car. I forget how it is held on, a small wire clip or similar, but it can be seen from underneath - space is very narrow but the cable end can be taken off the throttle lever. The cable then passes up to the passenger side engine mount bracket and over a little wheel there and then up towards the inlet manifold.

Unless the old cable is broken, I'd be tempted to check the cable end is free to rotate on the bush from beneath the car; and then that the cable passes over the little wheel ok (for which I suspect access is diabolical). The little wheel is held on with a shaft and it may have seized up or the cable dropped off it.

It'd definitely be easier to replace with the engine out (!). I remember being told years ago to be sure the passenger side engine mount bracket and cable is in place on an EFI car before putting the engine back in, because it can't be fitted afterwards.

Cheers

Marc
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Fellow Frogger!

Also make sure that the plastic pulley is still intact ,they
    have a flimsy outer section which usually disintegrates,I,ve replaced mine with a Brass one!
    Woody

Thanks Marc and Woody,
    Access is certainly diabolical under there and great advice to any IE (RHD) owner to check that throttle cable before motor goes back in. I discovered that mine was badly frayed at the IE throttle housing and it would have been a matter of time that it would have failed - a new one needs to be installed.

I'll have a closer look as to how the cable ring end is secured to the linkage lever that goes around the sump.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by marc61 View Post
    The cable at its lower end has like a big ring connector on it. That slips over a bush on the passenger side of the big throttle lever that goes under the sump on a RHD car. I forget how it is held on, a small wire clip or similar, but it can be seen from underneath - space is very narrow but the cable end can be taken off the throttle lever. The cable then passes up to the passenger side engine mount bracket and over a little wheel there and then up towards the inlet manifold.

Unless the old cable is broken, I'd be tempted to check the cable end is free to rotate on the bush from beneath the car; and then that the cable passes over the little wheel ok (for which I suspect access is diabolical). The little wheel is held on with a shaft and it may have seized up or the cable dropped off it.

It'd definitely be easier to replace with the engine out (!). I remember being told years ago to be sure the passenger side engine mount bracket and cable is in place on an EFI car before putting the engine back in, because it can't be fitted afterwards.

Cheers

Marc

All is as described by Marc and Woody. This has got to be the most difficult assignment in my 50+ years of working on motor vehicles.

Closer look revealed that the cable ring end is retained by what appeared to be a wire retaining clip that I was not prepared to attempt to remove as there is no way of getting back on. ("I say appeared" as it was very dirty and eyesight is not as good as it was).
    Nevertheless, every thing worked OK - nothing ceased.

Very keen to find out if anybody has done it before, that is that it can be done or has been done before I attempt it.

In the interim, I'll leave it as is and work on the frayed end and leave the new cable until the motor comes out.

Once again, I'd like confirmation that the IE throttle cable can be replaced insitu, that is with the motor in place.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    Thanks Marc and Woody,
    Access is certainly diabolical under there and great advice to any IE (RHD) owner to check that throttle cable before motor goes back in. I discovered that mine was badly frayed at the IE throttle housing and it would have been a matter of time that it would have failed - a new one needs to be installed.

I'll have a closer look as to how the cable ring end is secured to the linkage lever that goes around the sump.

Regards,

John

HAS anybody replaced the accelerator cable on a road going DS 23 IE ?

Regards,

John

With the help of UK Aussie frogs the cable is out without removal of motor! (This to a 23 IE with the automatic gearbox!)

Relatively straight forward albeit a bit tight between motor and body. (This is post removal of cable from IE manifold.)

1. From the top LHS of motor follow cable down and remove clip holding/securing end of cable. Relatively long screw driver required.)
    DS 23 IE Throttle Cable Replacement-img_4616.jpg

2. From underneath the D remove the spring clip (long nose pliers) and pull out spindle to remove the spring loaded mechanism that I believe is unique to the automatic D.

DS 23 IE Throttle Cable Replacement-img_4613-2-.jpgDS 23 IE Throttle Cable Replacement-img_4614-2-.jpg

3. With the cable free from the throttle mechanism within the body, from the top, reach down and "weave the cable" out of the roller aligning mechanism. Photo of complete cable removed from D with end fixing separated (there is a split pin holding cable end within compression retaining enclosure not included.
    DS 23 IE Throttle Cable Replacement-img_4611.jpg

$. Cable taken to Flexdrives (Stubbs Street Kensington Victoria) to be refurbished with new stainless steel cable and end fittings to be picked up next week - cost estimated to be AU$30 - 40; I did not worry about a firm price considering that if the ordered cable had arrived it would have been of little use to me.

The throttle cable for an automatic D needs the manifold fixing mechanism to be part of the "new", the ball end fixing to the throttle butterfly does not fit! It has to be made up as a unit! You can see why I had elected to replace - not sure how many strands were holding but it was just a matter of time before they all gave way.
    DS 23 IE Throttle Cable Replacement-img_4612.jpg

Rally prepared is the way to go!

Wish me luck for next week in the reassembly process.

Regards,

John

HAS anybody replaced the accelerator cable on a road going DS 23 IE ?

Regards,

John

Cable picked up from Flexdrive - final cost $49.36 based on actual time and materials (no position to argue on the estimate quote as it was an estimate); nevertheless cable is as per IMG 4611 (4th photo above). Ideally suited.

Installation has been achieved being the reversal of the previous removal update; not too difficult, it would have been much easier if eyesight was better - multi focal lens make things difficult in their own right!

Regards,

John

With the help of UK Aussie frogs the cable is out without removal of motor! (This to a 23 IE with the automatic gearbox!)

Relatively straight forward albeit a bit tight between motor and body. (This is post removal of cable from IE manifold.)

1. From the top LHS of motor follow cable down and remove clip holding/securing end of cable. Relatively long screw driver required.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4616.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	84326

2. From underneath the D remove the spring clip (long nose pliers) and pull out spindle to remove the spring loaded mechanism that I believe is unique to the automatic D.

Name:	IMG_4613 (2).jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	84324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4614 (2).jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	84325

3. With the cable free from the throttle mechanism within the body, from the top, reach down and "weave the cable" out of the roller aligning mechanism. Photo of complete cable removed from D with end fixing separated (there is a split pin holding cable end within compression retaining enclosure not included.

Name:	IMG_4611.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	84322

$. Cable taken to Flexdrives (Stubbs Street Kensington Victoria) to be refurbished with new stainless steel cable and end fittings to be picked up next week - cost estimated to be AU$30 - 40; I did not worry about a firm price considering that if the ordered cable had arrived it would have been of little use to me.

The throttle cable for an automatic D needs the manifold fixing mechanism to be part of the "new", the ball end fixing to the throttle butterfly does not fit! It has to be made up as a unit! You can see why I had elected to replace - not sure how many strands were holding but it was just a matter of time before they all gave way.

Name:	IMG_4612.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	84323

Rally prepared is the way to go!

Wish me luck for next week in the reassembly process.

Regards,

John

Thread Information