CX 5 speed conversion.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By d coupe

Thread: CX 5 speed conversion.

Default CX 5 speed conversion.

Hi All
    I am considering upgrading my CX wagon from an auto to a 5 speed gearbox. The donor car is an 80 model 2400 with earlier front guards, mine is the wider fenders and 40mm wider track. Can anyone tell me where the extra 40mm (20mm each side) comes into play? Would it be in the hubs or is it longer suspension arms, and will the driveshafts change over?

Advertisement

In anticipation
    Wayne
    Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here you may as well dance

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

You will need to find some wide track driveshafts from a 5 speed widetrack CX.

Good Luck.

Cheers, Ken W

and the narrow track shafts are hard to find, so don't lose them.

What sort of engine is in the auto - CX25?

I am not sure that a CX2400 flywheel is going to fit a CX25?

The CX2000, 2200 and 2400 all used the same block but the dimensions were all modified for the CX25.

Can you give us more details about the vehicles you have in mind for the switch.

Cheers, Ken W

PS I have performed a 4 to 5 speed upgrade on a narrow track CX2400.

Thanks for the replies so far. Both cars are 2400's, I bought a 5 speed sedan for $200 so I have all the parts for the change over (bar the correct drive shafts by the look of it). Had the wagon for about 18 months, have decided to hang onto it and panel and paint it, as well as go through it mechanically. I plan on using around town and going to Perth and back, sometimes towing a trailer (400km each way), so will be nice to have a better fuel economy and a bit more over taking power. Ken W were there any major issues doing the conversion?
    Anybody out there have the correct drive shafts they are willing to part with?
    Wayne
    Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here you may as well dance

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

That's a good questions. Where is the extra track width Apparently there was some cars sold with narrow arches and wide track. Does anyone have some 5spd wide track driveshafts out of there car they could measure so we could compare the lengths

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I presume the wagon has the 2400 injection engine. Three things you should be aware of:

1. The 5 speed box. There were two versions of the box, with different final drive ratio. With an overall ratio in 5th of 3.328 : 1 or 3.195 : 1. In comparison the auto is 3.490 : 1 so if you have the higher ratio box it is not that much lower than the auto.

2. Fuel consumption for the auto is not that much worse. especially if that donor car has the 'close ratio' box. The GTI models had the close ratio box.

eg. Urban l/100km: 90km/hr 120km/hr
    Auto 13.4, 9.5 11.2
    5 Speed 14.1, 7.6 9.8
    GTI 5 Speed 15.3. 8.0 10.2

That said my 2400ie Prestige auto gets high 10s in the city and cruising a little over the legal limit on the freeways (115km/hr) it will return 9.5.

3. How tall are you. My 192cm frame does not like driving CX manuals. Make sure you drive one before you do the conversion so you can make an informed decision. INMHO the auto suits the CX admirably.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Unfortunately its a carburetor version, we have an injected auto in the stable and its infinitely better driving, I agree that model suits the auto. Driven a manual, height is no problem (178 cm), the donor 5 speed is an 80 model carburetor version, so basically the same motor in both, only real difference the wagon is a British import and the 5 speed Pallas and Aussie spec (different carby set up etc).
    In fairness the auto gearbox is a better changing box that my 2010 Alfa 159 6 speed, maybe worth considering putting a modern engine in the CX and keep the drive train .
    forumnoreason likes this.
    Wayne

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

The "modern engine" into the CX sounds a challenge. But then so was making a DS Coupe and that seemed to go well!!

I've never driven one of the models with the 2 litre Renault engine (Reflex or Athena if I recall). Great engines (R20, Fuego for example) but I've no idea whether they changed the block a bit for the CX application.

I love my C-matic, but it wouldn't be great for the Geraldton cruise, precisely because of the gearing.

It'll be very interesting to hear what you end up doing.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

That means you have the box with the 3.195:1 overall ratio in 5th, so maybe worth the effort. I would make sure everything is spot on with the wagon engine first, Distributor for one. I really love my 123 ignition setup which basically bought everything back to a new distributor and a little extra. For example when the gearbox changes from 2nd to 3rd the acceleration continues at the same rate. It hasn't turned it into a road rocket but there is a bit more which is nice and no increase in fuel consumption.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    That means you have the box with the 3.195:1 overall ratio in 5th, so maybe worth the effort. I would make sure everything is spot on with the wagon engine first, Distributor for one. I really love my 123 ignition setup which basically bought everything back to a new distributor and a little extra. For example when the gearbox changes from 2nd to 3rd the acceleration continues at the same rate. It hasn't turned it into a road rocket but there is a bit more which is nice and no increase in fuel consumption.
    I'll second that 123 suggestion.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Um, what is "the 123 ignition setup" .?? Mine is 1984 25IE auto. I have no idea what distributor / ignition setup I have. It is all standard as far as I know.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

1000+ Posts

It is an after-market electronic ignition 123 Ignition Systems

Fitting one would mean that your car was no longer standard/original...

Thanks. I'll have a look at it.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special

Yours already has a full electronic setup, no need to change anything. The 123 system changes an old mechanical distributor to a system like what you already have.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thanks Greg.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special

Quote Originally Posted by d coupe View Post
    Hi All
    I am considering upgrading my CX wagon from an auto to a 5 speed gearbox. The donor car is an 80 model 2400 with earlier front guards, mine is the wider fenders and 40mm wider track. Can anyone tell me where the extra 40mm (20mm each side) comes into play? Would it be in the hubs or is it longer suspension arms, and will the driveshafts change over?

In anticipation
    Rebuild some CX upper and lower control arms with my students last week. They were off a 1980 model. Now to the point, while I had my wagon on the hoist I measured it's arms and low and behold, they were 20mm longer, question answered. So need to get some wide track 5 speed drive shafts, or change the arms etc from the donor car.
    Anybody know of some driveshafts?
    Wayne

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

Thread Information