• 3 Post By UFO
  • 2 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By UFO
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By Robin Hoffmann

Thread: DS23 Pallas dashboard indicator lights

Fellow Frogger!

Default DS23 Pallas dashboard indicator lights

Greetings fellow froggers. Both dashboard indicator lights flash regardless of whether I've indicated to turn left or right. The owner's handbook suggests that only the light for the chosen turn direction should flash. Is it the common thing for both to flash at once or does my car have an anomaly? Before I start poking around in the dash, is there a simple fix, given that there are two separate lights on the dash? The flasher unit has three wires connected. Cheers. Robin

Advertisement

They both always flash. According to Andre, you're supposed to be a clever enough person to know which way you indicated, and that you're supposed to turn them off after you've turned!
    UFO likes this.
    Gillian and Chris

74 D Special, and now a 74 Pallas 23 5 speed with air(maybe). And now a Cactus!

Oh, and a Holden.

Lasya, Tibetan goddess of the moon and beauty who carries a mirror.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Earlier DSs were flashing on the subject side but later models such as yours DS23 and mine do flash on both side at the sametime. Don't know why though. Cost cutting maybe?
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Fellow Frogger!

Ditto. Part of the idiosyncratic charm of these infuriating yet beguiling cars.

Its definitely in the wiring that this occurs, my old loom and dash had both lights go (74 car) but with new loom the light corresponds to turn direction, same dash. Can't give you any details on WHY or where the wires are headed to/from to cause this!
    actually I think there's only one wire heading into the plug at back of dash which is split to both spade plugs.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 2nd May 2016 at 06:22 PM.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Its definitely in the wiring that this occurs, my old loom and dash had both lights go (74 car) but with new loom the light corresponds to turn direction, same dash. Can't give you any details on WHY or where the wires are headed to/from to cause this!
    actually I think there's only one wire heading into the plug at back of dash which is split to both spade plugs.
    Not quite correct.... And at the risk of infuriating some again, I have to maintain that since 1973 both lights came on regardless of whether you were (are) indicating left or right. But wait....

I am not ready to face the bombardment by myself without verifying it, so I did a quick check of the Highly respected Docteur Danche in France who is cataloguing all of the DS particularities over the years.
    Docteur Danche also mentions that fact:

Toujours au millésime 73, il y a trois petites modification d'ergonomie:

1- les voyants de clignotant gauche et droite s'allument désormais simultanément, donc les 2 à la fois à la manière d'un warning, que l'on tourne à gauche ou à droite. Cette évolution est une gabegie, car avant cette modif, le voyant allumé indiquait vraiment la direction prise.

It basically confirms that since 1973 both ights come on simultaneously similar to a "Warning", and also mentions that prior to 73, th actual side only used to light up.
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 2nd May 2016 at 07:06 PM.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

I just said mine was a 74. That's all. 74. scroll down... the wiring I described is correct : )
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 3rd May 2016 at 07:19 AM.

Its a Speciale design to cover both contingencies of driving on the wrong/right side of the road ....

Fellow Frogger!

Interesting responses. Thank you! Seems the French penchant for unexplained 'design' features is well represented. Must be a simple fix, though. I'll do some poking around when I get a chance and report back.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hoffmann View Post
    Interesting responses. Thank you! Seems the French penchant for unexplained 'design' features is well represented. Must be a simple fix, though. I'll do some poking around when I get a chance and report back.
    There was a similar thread some time ago and there is a solution mentioned in that string. I have a 74 which operates both lights a well. Doesn't really worry me because I know which way I have pushed the indicator stem
    UFO likes this.

Default DS23 Pallas

mine is a 23 pallas 1972 flash only on the side selected for past 34 years.just to advise.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMol View Post
    There was a similar thread some time ago and there is a solution mentioned in that string. I have a 74 which operates both lights a well. Doesn't really worry me because I know which way I have pushed the indicator stem

It's a simple fix to get only the left or right dashboard lamp to flash, courtesy of HRE

DS Indicators

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the link to HRE's article, Bababec. It appears to be a simple job (simple like me). Stupid here should have checked for an earlier thread on this subject. Some interesting responses, particularly on the history and the French eccentricity in moving backwards to have both lights flash regardless of direction chosen. Thanks folks! Cheers, Robin

UFO

It is French and it will flash whichever light it damn well pleases!

My 74 D Spec flashes both. Those who are used to it don't even flinch, an uneducated passenger may complain, but they do not have the steering wheel.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

This extraordinary feature allows you to turn in any direction without having to justify which way you intended to go in the first place. ; )

real time French traffic simulator.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    This extraordinary feature allows you to turn in any direction without having to justify which way you intended to go in the first place. ; )

real time French traffic simulator.
    Oh? you want a real-time French traffic simulator?? Try driving in Tijuana. You get all the simulation you could ever want.
    daffyduck and Lasya like this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

For those of you who don't know why the Aussie cars got the 'both at one time' flasher: I don't think it was a cost-savings thing. more likely some obscure design rule for your market. Since all of the factory flasher cans were made with the third 'pilot' stud, wiring that in was a doddle. The amount of physical wire and labor used was almost exactly the same between the two systems.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    For those of you who don't know why the Aussie cars got the 'both at one time' flasher: I don't think it was a cost-savings thing. more likely some obscure design rule for your market. Since all of the factory flasher cans were made with the third 'pilot' stud, wiring that in was a doddle. The amount of physical wire and labor used was almost exactly the same between the two systems.
    It would not have been a design rule. Other cars sold in Aus from that period had either side. Although my first car, a 1958 Morris Major had only one measly orange light that flashed on the dash when the indicator (either side) was active.
    Hotrodelectric likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    It would not have been a design rule. Other cars sold in Aus from that period had either side. Although my first car, a 1958 Morris Major had only one measly orange light that flashed on the dash when the indicator (either side) was active.
    Ok, I'm corrected. It was an assumption on my part. It was the only explanation I could think of, although we ARE talking the French.

What was going on with your Morris was common throughout the world at the time. We were still getting the single pilot lamp as late as I think '63.
    UFO likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

504s only ever had one light on the dash, and they ceased production in the early 80s. At least the DS has two lights, even if they do both flash at once currently (pun intended).

Fellow Frogger!

Fixed! Thanks to HRE for his spot-on instructions. I now have only one indicator light on the dash when turning left or right. Very simple fix. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments. Cheers. Robin
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

Thread Information