Original style windscreen for 1974 DS23 Pallas
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roger Wilkinson

Thread: Original style windscreen for 1974 DS23 Pallas

Tadpole

Default Original style windscreen for 1974 DS23 Pallas

Can anyone recall if the original windscreen for a '74 DS23 Pallas had the tinted band along the top of the screen?
    I have just had the windscreen replaced and it doesn't have a tinted band along the top whereas the previous one did, however I believe it had been replaced and was not the original windscreen.
    Many thanks
    Rod

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs mobile app

Advertisement

Mine certainly doesn't, not sure if it was an option though.

Perhaps an Australian thing??

Fellow Frogger!

Mine does but I can't believe any of them have an original screen. Anything that beats the heat that comes through on these cars can't be a bad thing

Fellow Frogger!

Tinted bands really began in the 70s so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a std fit for Australian spec cars

The original windscreens were 1mm thicker without tint.
    I replaced the original and had an internal flood during rain
    so bought a new seal.
    DS 21
    C4 HDI
    Piaggio Fly 125

My guess is it was either an option or an aftermarket fitment.

Aussiefrogs: sharing the guesses.

Roger

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    My guess is it was either an option or an aftermarket fitment.

Aussiefrogs: sharing the guesses.

Roger
    A quick look in 648 Vol 2 should answer the question

Steve

Could you put me out of my misery please, Steve?

Thanks,
    Roger

Fellow Frogger!

Could you put me out of my misery please, Steve?

Thanks,
    Roger
    Hi Roger,

648 list both screens - plain and tinted, as does 604. The tinted units have a mild green color to them.Though I may have to apologize as I think I misread the original post. If by 'tinted' one is talking about the narrow band of extra tinting that some cars had on the upper edge that was a dealer added option IIRC. I do remember seeing a 71 Pallas at CJ Motors (Berkeley, CA) in their showroom that had that extra band of upper tinting. However I seem to remember it being something that was done locally.

Steve

Fellow Frogger

Remember, deeply tinted screens were banned in Australia in the 1970's. So, you see cars with very heavily tinted side and rear glass, but without tinting of the windscreen, which mustn't help the driver's peripheral vision. I don't know if they still have to test for it, but checking the screen tint was part of the rego inspection in NSW at one time. You can currently use a slight tint to a legal upper limit and a heavy dark band across the top. O'Brien supplied such a tinted screen (correct thickness) for a project a couple of years ago to replace an older screen that was not tinted at all. My guess would be that they were not tinted when sold new.

I believe they were not tinted either generally, or an upper band when new, at least to 1972. It is possible that a light tint was used after that.

For a long time in the 80's and 90's I found it almost impossible to get an all clear one, as I much prefer for my early cars.

There are still strict tests for windscreen, and other auto glass tinting.
    I can't recall the specs just now..... it in a VSB (Vehicle Standards Bulletin) which I read recently......

About 20 years ago, I was in a NSW RTA inspection centre, and watched an inspector testing some young hoons car for tint.
    The side and rear glasses were, to my eye, very darkly tinted. The inspector didn't mind discussing it with me and was happy for me to watch as he did the tests.
    He had a "standard" lamp which he moved around the car, and with a light meter he compared the transmitted light of each pane of glass in the car. To check the calibration, he had sheets of standard tints, which he would hold up in place of the door glass, which he wound down. It took quite a while and he was very thorough recording every reading.
    In the end he decided that it was just, almost, nearly legal............. but still not approved.

The one or two windscreens that I have bought in the last 15 years have been tinted and thin.

Luckily I still have 5 or 6 original toughened screens on parts cars.... I know its illegal to fit one, but if the car has had one from new, it can stay in use.

I'm just going through this at the moment with my inspection engineer, as I work on my project car.... hoping to get it legal and registered and on the road, by early July...... this year.
    He is insisting that I fit a laminated screen.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

Fellow Frogger

Yes, there was a specific testing tool used by rego inspectors and it gave a printed reading, much like the brake tester.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMol View Post
    Mine does but I can't believe any of them have an original screen. Anything that beats the heat that comes through on these cars can't be a bad thing
    My D Special still has its original screen - but not for much longer. It has the original local council resident parking permit stickers on it from the 1st owner. The screen is so pitted now it is almost impossible to drive the car into the sun, so the old screen will have to be replaced soon. Whether I go for banded or not I have not yet decided.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Can you not polish it?

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Can you not polish it?
    I think I'd prefer new.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I'm just going through this at the moment with my inspection engineer, as I work on my project car.... hoping to get it legal and registered and on the road, by early July...... this year.
    This laminated windscreen that he requires, does it have to be made in a windscreen factory, or could you make one yourself by starting with a toughened screen, adding an edhesive layer of plastic stuff to the inside, and then goodness knows what over that? He is letting you modify or make just about everything else, why not the windscreen.

Roger

This laminated windscreen that he requires, does it have to be made in a windscreen factory, or could you make one yourself by starting with a toughened screen, adding an edhesive layer of plastic stuff to the inside, and then goodness knows what over that? He is letting you modify or make just about everything else, why not the windscreen.

Roger
    He's looking for standards compliance.... the little etched makers tag, referencing a (probably European) standard for laminated screens.

Yes, he's giving me a lot of freedom, but not on this issue.
    Bob

How are your glass etching skills?

Roger
    addo likes this.

How are your glass etching skills?

Roger
    Not good enough.... besides I don't think his co-operative attitude to my other "original design features" would hold up if he suspected fraudulent activity.

He's showing considerable confidence in my design and construction skills, I'd hate to risk that goodwill by attempting something at all dodgy.

He has the power to prevent this project ever getting approved.

If he wants to see a laminated screen fitted to the car ...... he'll see a laminated screen fitted to the car.
    Bob

I have every confidence you will find a suitable laminated screen.

Roger

Which brings us almost full circle in this thread......

I have adapted a DS windscreen frame, so a standard DS screen is needed. I know I have several old toughened ones, but I'm a bit short on laminated ones..... most of my late model parts cars have broken ones. There is one I know of in my yard..... but I dare not leave that rather special car without a screen.... so I'll put an old one in it while I borrow the laminated one.

Or I could buy a new one.

So how much and where from?
    Bob

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I believe they were not tinted either generally, or an upper band when new, at least to 1972. It is possible that a light tint was used after that.

For a long time in the 80's and 90's I found it almost impossible to get an all clear one, as I much prefer for my early cars.

There are still strict tests for windscreen, and other auto glass tinting.
    I can't recall the specs just now..... it in a VSB (Vehicle Standards Bulletin) which I read recently......

About 20 years ago, I was in a NSW RTA inspection centre, and watched an inspector testing some young hoons car for tint.
    The side and rear glasses were, to my eye, very darkly tinted. The inspector didn't mind discussing it with me and was happy for me to watch as he did the tests.
    He had a "standard" lamp which he moved around the car, and with a light meter he compared the transmitted light of each pane of glass in the car. To check the calibration, he had sheets of standard tints, which he would hold up in place of the door glass, which he wound down. It took quite a while and he was very thorough recording every reading.
    In the end he decided that it was just, almost, nearly legal............. but still not approved.

The one or two windscreens that I have bought in the last 15 years have been tinted and thin.

Luckily I still have 5 or 6 original toughened screens on parts cars.... I know its illegal to fit one, but if the car has had one from new, it can stay in use.

According to 562 the Triplex screens supplied to US cars could be either clear or tinted after 3/68. I know my late production 68 ID19B came with the light green colored windshield. Also, if I am reading the parts book correctly, all Pallas or could it just be CAB's came with the green tinted windshields from 66 on. And the tinted ones, at least as I read the books, were only the Triplex ones, the Luxrit ones were clear only.

Steve

Steve

Tadpole

Many thanks for replies.
    As the replacement windscreen in my 74 DS23 Pallas sedan is now is a 'clear' one, is there any way it could have a tinted band applied along the top of the windscreen?
    I found the tinted band on my old windscreen reduced glare when driving and also looked good on the car from a distance.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thread Information