D Front Height Corrector
  • Register
  • Help

Default D Front Height Corrector

Please can someone advise how I remove the front height corrector on my D?

The spare HC I have indicates two 7 mm bolts hold it in place from behind, and I cannot see how to get a spanner in the restricted space to remove these.

Advertisement

I have searched the posts and have found much advice on how to strip, clean and reassemble - but not how to remove.

Thanks
    Errol

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Errol_S View Post
    Please can someone advise how I remove the front height corrector on my D?

The spare HC I have indicates two 7 mm bolts hold it in place from behind, and I cannot see how to get a spanner in the restricted space to remove these.

I have searched the posts and have found much advice on how to strip, clean and reassemble - but not how to remove.

Thanks
    Errol

Errol - look in any of the D manuals (465/516/814 vol 2) - it is operation DX 433-1. The front HC unit is attached to a bracket (in its rear). The bracket is held against the frame with two bolts that are just above the body of the HC. Remove those two bolts and the whole unit just comes out after you have removed the hydraulic lines and height control rod. You then remove the bracket from the rear to the HC.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

I must have stared at those two bolt heads for 10 minutes but decided that was far too simple to be a Citroen, and thought there had to be another difficult way to remove the HC.

I only have manual 814 and could not find any reference to operation DX-433. Are the other manuals mentioned available online?

Regards

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Steve.

I must have stared at those two bolt heads for 10 minutes but decided that was far too simple to be a Citroen, and thought there had to be another difficult way to remove the HC.

I only have manual 814 and could not find any reference to operation DX-433. Are the other manuals mentioned available online?

Regards
    814 has two volumes - DX 433-1 is in the second volume, section 1 (Removal and Fitting). Listed under sub heading 'Suspension' / 'Front height corrector'.

Steve

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Steve.

Regards

Hi Errol - Sorry about missing your question regarding manuals. Just go to (https://sites.google.com/site/citroenpublicationslist/) and you will find just about anything, manual wise, you desire.

Steve

Thanks Steve. For whatever reason the manual I had downloaded a year or so ago titled D_repair-manual_814_vol_2+3+4+5_december_1974 only had 378 pages. The new one I have just downloaded has 469, and there as clear as daylight is the full removal instructions for the height corrector. No wonder you puzzled over my question.

BTW the HC has been removed, cleaned, and is about to be replaced - following the instructions from the new manual.

Regards
    Errol

Fellow Frogger

Errol, the way the manuals are arranged usually shows the R&R and component overhaul as quite different operations. In the overhaul instructions for the HC, it tells you how to fill both sides with fluid before fitting. A syringe minus needle works well if you peel back each diaphragm slightly before filling and then fitting the metal ring. If you miss that step, the air will eventually bleed away, but expect it to correct too rapidly until it has done so.

Thanks for that David. I will follow your advice and use a syringe.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Errol, the way the manuals are arranged usually shows the R&R and component overhaul as quite different operations. In the overhaul instructions for the HC, it tells you how to fill both sides with fluid before fitting. A syringe minus needle works well if you peel back each diaphragm slightly before filling and then fitting the metal ring. If you miss that step, the air will eventually bleed away, but expect it to correct too rapidly until it has done so.
    Actually an easier way is just to raise and lower the car from top to bottom a few times after the HC is back in the car. Typically only takes 2 complete cycles. The reason for the rapid response is the lack of fluid in the damper circuit of the HC that was added to the HC'S, IIRC, starting with late 1962 models.

Steve

Thread Information