Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By wilrex
  • 1 Post By mnm
  • 1 Post By Greg C
  • 5 Post By Le Parisian
  • 2 Post By kenlin

Thread: Colours for my D

Default Colours for my D

The time has come to choose colours for my D. I've decided that the colour of the body will be the red pictured here (metallic or flat??), however need to choose roof colourÖthe grey or the white? Your thoughts would be appreciated please! Colours for my D-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1461584200.347338.jpgColours for my D-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1461584223.656356.jpg

Advertisement

For the UK, I would choose the grey roof. It will make the car more visible in heavy winter conditions.

Fellow Frogger!

Personally I would go for the white roof .
    Ed

Fellow Frogger

Prime it in grey primer and see if you like the appearance. If not, then paint it white instead of a grey topcoat. You could try one of those strippable latex paints to test any colour you like temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Prime it in grey primer and see if you like the appearance. If not, then paint it white instead of a grey topcoat. You could try one of those strippable latex paints to test any colour you like temporarily.
    Interesting idea, cheers!

Default Colours for my D

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    For the UK, I would choose the grey roof. It will make the car more visible in heavy winter conditions.
    Good point, however I'm afraid this car won't be seeing any winter conditions any time soonÖfine weather only, I don't like the salt!

Fellow Frogger!

I love the red / grey combination. When I was a kid we had a Vanguard in that combo & whenever I see it, regardless of the car I think it looks great. As to what I paint my safari, well that's another matter. cheers Dave
    Just a duckin' & a weavin'

Icon7

Quote Originally Posted by Halfbrick
    ...As to what I paint my safari, well that's another matter. cheers Dave
    Camo, with a Confederate flag on the roof and a band across the windscreen in Times Gothic declaring "Aussie Pride".

Getting back to the OP, red with a white roof is a bit too Mini Cooper for me. Sort of non-challenging generic nostalgia.

Colours for my D-image.jpgI like this. My ID19 with soft white, (light blue on chart) and soft gold roof. (Don't tell anybody, it is beige etch primer, but looks the part, I think it will stay that way).
    The plate says it should painted white, stark white.

Rex B
    CXVingtCinq and forumnoreason like this.
    2CV6 Special Green, Riley RMB, RX7 Rotary, Jensen Healey, 1896 Ford A replica, and last but not least 1961 Citroen ID19-P... Previous include, 27 Chev Truck, 24 Bean Truck, 27 Chev Capitol, Rover S105, Humber Hawk x 2, MGB, Ford AA Truck, Ford A, elderly motorbikes x6, and more...

I would go the non metallic red with grey roof
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

mnm

I like both... I will probably paint my white roof, seen here, in the silver one day. I think it's more elegant/sophisticated.

Matthew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colours for my D-image.jpg   Colours for my D-image.jpg  

Red with metallic grey roof - classy
    old coot likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Default DS Color

Glad you asked because as you can see silver is a perfect blend with this color, soft on the eyes and stands out among other Ds with white roof, simply classy.......
    also factory standards colors

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	284.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	83673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	302.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	83674
    mnm, CXVingtCinq, leithant and 2 others like this.

Thanks for the pics guys, nice to see the grey roof on the car, particularly with the redÖI can compare and contrast now, helps to make the final decision.

Red with a black roof is pretty good too!
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

[QUOTE=Le Parisian;1441621]Glad you asked because as you can see silver is a perfect blend with this color, soft on the eyes and stands out among other Ds with white roof, simply classy.......

If that's your car, congratulations. Looks great, I have always loved the non pallas central rubbing strips with the black rubber. I heard they may have been made locally, I suspect that they were more likely imported by 1 or 2 agents from GH, and sold as an 'upsell'. Love to be proved wrong, either way. Very few cars are sporting the originals in that kind of condition these days.
    I did find a Norev model car in this colour scheme, but it hardly seems worth the bother of uploading now this reference has been posted.
    I know there are a couple of people out there who can probably explain accurately the aftermarket market in the 70's and beyond, hopefully they do.

mb

[QUOTE=mberry;1442068]
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Parisian View Post
    Glad you asked because as you can see silver is a perfect blend with this color, soft on the eyes and stands out among other Ds with white roof, simply classy.......

If that's your car, congratulations. Looks great, I have always loved the non pallas central rubbing strips with the black rubber. I heard they may have been made locally, I suspect that they were more likely imported by 1 or 2 agents from GH, and sold as an 'upsell'. Love to be proved wrong, either way. Very few cars are sporting the originals in that kind of condition these days.
    I did find a Norev model car in this colour scheme, but it hardly seems worth the bother of uploading now this reference has been posted.
    I know there are a couple of people out there who can probably explain accurately the aftermarket market in the 70's and beyond, hopefully they do.

mb
    Hi Michael
    Yeah its a great car fitted with a 21 and modified camshaft must admit the fastest 21 I've ever had. In the past years I've had a few non Pallas DS with these door trims fitted on them actually they where fitted by Citroen as a option at time of purchase so I was told I've had an argument with Roger Parker he never seen them before and after researching on it he apologized to me and actually he is currently chasing a set for me from his supplier. Still waiting??
    The Citroen standard color coordination is of a 64 65 ID if I recall what the previous owner
    BTW Im looking for a rust free rolling chassis as I just purchased my DS21 EFI Non pallas back she fail off a hoist whilst being serviced so if any thing come up please let me know
    Cheers

[QUOTE=mberry;1442068]

mb

Michael, the attached photo may possibly be useful but unfortunately is of very poor quality. It was lifted from 8mm movie film.

The car is our '72 D Special sold new by Citco in Sydney and purchased by me from Citco in 1974. It is pictured in this 1978 shot still as supplied when new, i.e., with the rubbing strips. It's hard to be sure but I think the strips were darker than for the Pallas. They seem to be darker in this shot. Perhaps some sophisticated photo editing might be able to help see them more clearly. In any case, the photo does show a D Special with rubbing strips as supplied new in Sydney in 1972.

Like other readers, I am overcome with the quality of the restoration work you and others have posted on this thread. Ken

Colours for my D-1978-ver-75-d-special.jpg
    forumnoreason and mberry like this.

Have to go for the ON TREND colour Matt Black

Attachment 83793

It will make for a faster car as Matt Black is the lightest paint colour kg/ltr

[QUOTE=mberry;1442068]

mb
    Those appear to be Robri on the red car. Fitted commonly to 70-72 export models. Getting hard to find in good nick.

Thread Information