Ds23 sticking accelerator
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: Ds23 sticking accelerator

Fellow Frogger!

Default Ds23 sticking accelerator

Accelerator catches at top of throw making ride uncomfortable. Have lubed all the likely suspects. Any ideas before I pull it apart ?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMol View Post
    Accelerator catches at top of throw making ride uncomfortable. Have lubed all the likely suspects. Any ideas before I pull it apart ?
    Illogical as it sounds it only seems to happen when engine is warm

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

I forget Peter, are you carb or injection? It sounds very much like something is maladjusted. Unlikely, but it could also be something is bent. You don't have to strip it all apart, just check and make sure it's properly assembled and adjusted. Also, make sure you don't have anything interfering with the pedal itself. A piece of carpet askew can create your headache.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

Peter, I had that a while back. I fiddled around adjusting the mechanism through trial and error. Didn't actually disassemble anything. I assume you have the repair manuals?

If it is associated with heat then think about what things in the linkage are affected by heat. I would suggest the carby (assuming it's a carby model, or the butterfly linkage if EFI).

Roger

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by PeterMol View Post
    Have a look at the condition of the bearing mount on the firewall behind the carb - this was mine before replacing, the bronze bush is well worn and the rubber cracked and crazed.

You can buy replacements but I found a kit available on ebay in the USA using a nylon bush for only a few dollars.

The difference after replacing is staggering, smooth pedal travel through the range.

Certainly worth a look

Cheers
    Chris
    Hotrodelectric and UFO like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

UFO

^^^ wot he said ^^^^
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks all. Weekend got away from me so it will need to wait a few days. Is there a linkage behind the plastic or cardboard cover under the brake. The pedal link age seem to go in there and if I am not mistaken I can hear something click when it gets stuck. Car is a 23 Carby. Anyway you have all given me great food for thought

Fellow Frogger

Yes, the pedal moves a rod inside a pressed steel assembly that is hidden under the carpet and rubber brake pedal surround. The rod then passes through the side of the footwell into the engine bay. The rod could become sticky if it need lubrication. Maybe, unhook the carby and see if it is the carby or the linkage sticking.

It will be a Weber on a 23 and there is a procedure to set up the linkage between the two barrels. You want to make sure it is correct or the carby will never work correctly. I remember playing with one on a Special that was gutless and it turned out the linkage was wrongly set up and it jammed before opening the second barrel. I'm not sure if it could make the throttle jam, but it may be worth removing it and following the manual set up if there is any doubt about how it has been adjusted.

It's worth checking underneath the car that the big u-shaped bracket (that transfers movement from the RHD throttle pedal rod to the threaded rod in the vicinity of the carb) is moving freely/correctly. There's an M7 clamp bolt from memory on one end of it that can eventually work loose and the other end has a nipple that sits in a bearing of sorts, which can jump out.

Then it's worth checking from underneath that the threaded rod on the carb side of the engine is free to move up and down, and the springs likewise. Space is very tight down there, so the rod can easily rub against something.

Its a 1950s mechanical arrangement - over the years I've had the bolt not clamp properly, the bolt work loose, the nipple jump out, the rod rub against something and it always manifested as a sticky or jumpy throttle. I finally solved all of that by deleting the threaded rod and fitting a throttle cable, which was a truly momentous improvement, but that's another story.

Cheers

Marc
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Thread Information