Help with D rack disassembly
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Help with D rack disassembly

Hello Fellows
    I am rebuilding a rack to put into the D special
    Are there special tools for the piston removal?
    Are they obtainable?
    Any hints?
    Thanks
    Sherman

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Hello Fellows
    Are they obtainable?
    Any hints?
    Thanks
    Sherman
    A very good walk through in the 2012 Winter edition of Citroenvie - shows special tools required and how to make your own, download the web res version for free.
    CITROËNVIE ! ? Past magazine issues (web resolution) | CITROËNVIE !

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Hello Fellows
    Are they obtainable?
    Any hints?
    Thanks
    Sherman
    A very good walk through in the 2012 Winter edition of Citroenvie - shows special tools required and how to make your own, download the web res version for free.
    CITROËNVIE ! ? Past magazine issues (web resolution) | CITROËNVIE !

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

You must have the pin press to remove and reinstall the power piston retainer pin or you're going to suffer through the process with a helper and a hydraulic press (would be so awkward but could probably be done in a pinch with rack removed from car).
    Resist urge to buy seal kit from someone who makes their own: they do not work. Buy from known supplier who sells enough kit that what he gives you are fresh seals. Shelf worn/aged seals tend to fail before you can even install them and the home made ones fail as soon as you put the car back together or shortly thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    Buy from known supplier who sells enough kit that what he gives you are fresh seals. Shelf worn/aged seals tend to fail before you can even install them and the home made ones fail as soon as you put the car back together or shortly thereafter.
    Just to add to Wally's comments....

When the cars were relatively young and at lower mileages resealing the rack was a good option. Factory seal kits were available and the wear in the rack components was relatively low.

Forward to today - many cars have done high mileages, have possibly already had several seal kits through them either done well or poorly.

This means there are many racks with a lot of metal wear on the working surfaces which means replacing the seals is only going to last a short time.

There are low mileage cars around, but then you have to ask why is resealing necessary - has the rack been changed...?

There would be racks out there which would be good candidates for resealing, but how to pick them from the duds it the hard part. You can spend a lot of time and effort doing the job, to end up with something no better than that you started with.

In addition there are other adjustments which should be made at the same time to ensure optimal operation - and that requires a test bench, not just special tools.

Personally I think the best solution is to get a fully 'remade' rack from someone like Citrotech - that way you know it's right and will stay that way for many 1000s of miles.

Cheers,

Mark...

In defence of the tinkerers, some people will always want to have a go themselves - quality of results may vary.

Look at the sphere rebuilds Richo did, from memory they grew from being unimpressed with a job he consigned to an "expert".

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    In defence of the tinkerers, some people will always want to have a go themselves - quality of results may vary.

Look at the sphere rebuilds Richo did, from memory they grew from being unimpressed with a job he consigned to an "expert".
    Hi Addo,

I'd be the last person to stop someone 'having a go' - I think it's a great thing.

I've had 3 resealed racks go south very quickly over the years. Perhaps I've just had bad luck - others seem to have some success. As I said you can be lucky...

I would argue Richo was a "remanufacturer" as well. He brought everything back to factory specs and went to a lot of trouble to do it. His work was second to none and he was rightly commended for it.

All I'm saying is resealing the rack does not guarantee it will last and for the relatively small extra expense having it remanufactured with new metal moving parts as well as a quality seal kit will give you better value for money.

Cheers

Mark...

Hi Mark, I agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph; I remember also the travails of someone like M. Freed in having hard chroming redone, only to substantially fail in short order. Good intentions are a minefield at times...

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Chaps
    The piston looks unworn so a reseal should work
    I will micro it up if it needs re-surfacining a mate has a business restoring hydraulic rams with his own technique
    But as I say it doesn't look high mileage
    The rack is a spare that came with the car so it's in car performance is unknown
    I don't feel like puting it in without a rebuild
    Cheers

Thread Information