BX Groaning
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: BX Groaning

Default BX Groaning

Hi guys, Alan S especially, there is a groaning noise coming from the BX16 valve, whilst leaning/pushing down on the LHF the noise seems to eminate from the strut/sphere, any ideas? thanks josephk

Advertisement
    eugeot 2001 406 Coupe Polo Green.
    :Saab 9-3: 2000 Viggen Convertible Lightning Blue, BSR 424NM frightening!!!
    :Saab 95: 2001 Aero Black Wagon. 184kw .
    :Saab 900: 1993 Classic Convertable Blue.

$$$ SAVE BANK INTEREST AND BUY MORE TOYS!!

Joseph,

If you were in the UK or Europe, everybody straight up would say "Struts" in chorus, meaning the slide bearings at the top.
    However, we don't have the salted roads nor the knee high snow they get over there so we don't have the problems they do. It's not impossible for it to happen to us, just less likely.
    The most likely cause will be the actual outer piston creaking & groaning on the nylon bearing/bush that it slides within.
    Jack the car up, remove the wheel on the offending side and be sure the suspension is left at its highest setting. Lift the black plastic concertina looking Gaitor which should expose a bright silver piston and at the lower part of the silver part, you'll see a creamy/yellowy plastic 'ring' (for the want of a better word) that is sitting on top of the lower section of the cylinder. I usually spray some WD40 onto the creamy ring and wipe off with a clean dry cloth. I then usually use Silicone grease (but ordinary grease will do) and wipe a finger full around the silver part just above the ring & then spread up the silver piston. Refit the gaitor, refit the road wheel and lower the car to the ground.
    Then lower car to its lowest setting, then to highest a few times and see how that sounds. If it still is groaning, repeat the treatment but don't wash off with the WD40. That usually not only gets rid of the moans & groans, but often leads to softer ride and slightly better handling.
    Just be sure the noise is coming from the front as rear swing arm bearings have also been known to make this noise, also if it is still there, check the lower control arm bushes, sway bars etc but the noise you speak of really does just sound like dry strut bushes.
    BTW, if that is the cause, I'd suggest doing the other side also while you're on the job.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan, Many thanks , I will have a go at it tomorrow and let you know the results, I will sleep easier tonight, cheers joseph

Tadpole

I did a similar lube job to my BX TZD Turbo on the front struts. It worked well for about a week and I have not got around to doing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottFromNZ
    I did a similar lube job to my BX TZD Turbo on the front struts. It worked well for about a week and I have not got around to doing it again.
    Scott,

If it only lasted a week, then there are two possible causes;
    First that you didn't wash the area with WD or similar first & if you did there was still residue left or secondly that your slide bearings are on the way out which is usually the case when they start to bind up again after such a short period.

Alan S

Alan, I did what you suggested, 90 % fixed, however after reading your last post, I have realised that I should have another go at it, thanks for your help, cheers joseph

Joseph,

Don't panic mate, if you leave it for a few weeks until it starts to show symptoms again (if it does) that can give it time to loosen the crud that causes the problem; then when you clean it & regrease it should last for yonks.

Alan S

Tadpole

Icon9 Groaning Struts

Hello Alan S.

There are two rubber feed pipes coupled up to the front strut body; presumably low pressure bleeds/returns for internal fluid leaks. What would happen if LHM was injected into these? Would it lubricate the top cylinder bearing from the inside? I don't know whether this is lateral thinking or blind stupidity, but just maybe Citroen anticipated enough normal LHM leaking within the body of the cylinder to keep the top bearing lubricated; then they built them too well and didn't get enough internal leakage to keep things nice and slippery................... Hmmmmmmm

Jim.

Thread Information