• Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Canbus and aftermarket head unit

Hi
    I am new to forum
    previously owned clio 172
    have scenic and C2 VTR

I purchased an aftermarket head unit for the VTR on the premise it would not require a secondary harness to retain the Steering Wheel controls.The unit is a Philips CED1800BT.Unfortunately Philips has zero customer support. It originally had RD4 unit(VDO).I have wired it up to old Canbus? plug so it plays (using diagrams from this forum)but no SWC. I have two vacant leads on the car side which are supposedly Canbus High and Low.The head unit has three "learning"leads (2 +ve,1-ve) as well as two remote learning leads.No configuration with Canbus leads seems to give a result.

Advertisement

So am I supposed to wire into harness behind Canbus plug??? if so where ? I have had no success getting a wiring diagram for this car.
    Or is this Canbus do hickey thingamajiggy a whole different kettle of petunias???Some of the audio dudes I have spoken to claim it isn't even Canbus in this car so what gives.

Any insights would be appreciated and I apologise if I'm going over old ground.

Ta MM Viva la frog

Hi,
    Welcome to the forum. I am no expert on this subject. For many C2 related questions I have posted to the UK C2 forum (C2Club.co.uk - Citroen C2 Owners Club) and have found the members very helpful.
    They have an 'In Car Entertainment' section where you might find answers to your query. (In Car Entertainment).

There are a couple sticky threads at the top of that page on how to fit an aftermarket head unit. Not sure on the age of your VTR. If it is a Mark 2 or 3, this thread has excellent pictures as well - Fitting a headunit to a Mk2 & Mk3- GUIDE.

Good luck.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

I used to fit a fair bit of canbus equip. Will need to know a few things tho; year make model etc.

Canbus signals can be found at the diag plug. Can high and can low there is only a few hundred millivolts between them in the 3v range from memory. (got out of industy 4 years ago)

If the vehicle has can bus steering wheel controls, it should be in a factory stereo harness/connector.
    89 Pug 405 Mi16
    Possibly for sale....

WRECKING/ Parts Car:
    Blue 89 405 Mi16

Tadpole

re BallinaOB

Thank you but does not quite apply
    Firstly my head unit does not have a socket for patch lead - this is where the adaptable(learning wires) presumably enter the picture .
    Secondly what does the box (connects2) actually do??

THe reason I bought this unit is because it specifically stated does not require secondary harness for SWC but Philips does not give info on how to wire?? I also find the range of adapter harnesses baffling as for my car they offer a dozen different leads and there is some doubt as to whether we have same spec as UK models.
    I suspect I am going to have to get a pile of harnesses in the long run.

Tadpole

to hazemi16

Model is 2006 C2 VTR In regards to voltage as measured at standard head unit socket(quadlock) I think high Canbus was 12v and low 0v

"If the vehicle has can bus steering wheel controls, it should be in a factory stereo harness/connector" I don't understand this
    All I can say is I have standard SWC which include volume,source, track etc
    The real question is where do I plug into the SWC from head unit???

Thread Information