C4 hdi 1.6 - no boost at all!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default C4 hdi 1.6 - no boost at all!

Not another bl**dy thread about turbo boost on a C4 HDI!

Long story but I really need some help understanding how my little beast works. I've done a fair bit of Googling here and on other forums but just can't find the answers to my problem.

Car is 2005 C4 HDI 1.6 Manual - Australian model no FAP but has a cat conv 90PS. The story so far... bought car cheap - knackered turbo & one piston. Rebuilt turbo, oil lines (fitted spin-on in line filter for turbo), oil pickup, piston, set of rings and big end bearings. Blocked off EGR. (For those really interested here is the whole story with pictures. C4 1.6 HDI Turbo Rebuild - Pictures ) All fine till about 2 months ago boost dropped off to the point of being ZERO. Got a few codes come up about driveline & EGR. Cleared codes, no difference.

Replaced turbo again with brand new complete unit (old one had a fair bit of play in the shaft). Still no boost. Checked all the obvious things like leaks turbo plumbing etc. I've been watching various parameters via an app on my phone (Torque) and a bluetooth OBDII dongle. MAF seems to be working OK. Fuel rail pressure seems ok, boost shows ZERO or maybe 0.2 PSI at best but manifold pressure is stuck on 14.5PSI and goes to 15.5PSI when accelerating. It is still driveable (just very slow up hills) but fuel consumption is amazing returning 1200-1300KMS on a tank.

I'm to the stage where I really need to understand how the turbo/ecu/injection system interact. A few questions I have for the far more knowledgeable than myself.

Advertisement

1. Does the variable vane control actuator on the turbocharger operate with boost pressure or vacuum?
    2. Is there a solenoid that controls the boost?
    3. Is there a blow off valve that could be stuck open?
    4. What is the difference between manifold pressure and boost pressure?

Thanks in advance for any help/discussion/answers - Robbie.

1000+ Posts

The turbo is vacuum controlled, via a solenoid. C4 hdi 1.6 - no boost at all!-elec.jpg

Item 1233 (mid right) is the électrovanne régulation de pression de turbocompresseur.

1000+ Posts

One of my manuals has a vacuum test - C4 hdi 1.6 - no boost at all!-vacuum.jpg

1000+ Posts

From the online Citroen handbook - C4 hdi 1.6 - no boost at all!-screenshot-10.jpgC4 hdi 1.6 - no boost at all!-screenshot-11.png

1000+ Posts

Another little gotcha - C4 hdi 1.6 - no boost at all!-screenshot-10.jpg

Thread Information