• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By PeterMol

Thread: Dealing with DS battery holder frame

Default Dealing with DS battery holder frame

Hi all,
    In the process of tidying up some wiring around the battery and terminals.
    I have always worried about the metal frame of the battery hold down frame and the nearness to the positive terminal - I hate it.
    Any solutions to avoid shorting ?
    Steve

Advertisement

Hi,
    I went to Clark Rubber and got some insertion rubber from them, approx 3mm thick. Cut to shape to fit over the terminal and cover off around the frame. This, plus a tidy of all the crappy wiring now looks and works very nicely.

Icon3

I painted my frame using silver POR, which appears to be non conductive. I then have a rubber patch sitting over the +terminal for added insurance.

I have a few extra connections for the internally regulated 100 amp alternator, stereo amp, and head unit so have strayed from original with a generic +pos clamp to keep things tidy.

Cheers
    Chris
    ds21bvh and Big Frog like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frog View Post
    Hi all,
    In the process of tidying up some wiring around the battery and terminals.
    I have always worried about the metal frame of the battery hold down frame and the nearness to the positive terminal - I hate it.
    Any solutions to avoid shorting ?
    Steve
    I just bought some plastic terminal covers from super cheap. Took a couple of bad burns as result of my watch shorting out between the two before I did this. Don't wait as I now gave a couple of permanent scars!!
    Big Frog likes this.

Yeah me too, I have lots of rubber bits around that + terminal.
    All shapes and sizes. I just keep adding them on, as they never look foolproof.
    One day I will get down to make a sensible one (laziness is the universal constant, forget speed of light).
    Bit silly that frame design innit.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    ... extra connections for the internally regulated 100 amp alternator, stereo amp, and head unit...
    ... and then there's that second alternator for your subwoofer, neon lighting and lowrider systems.

There's also a chance for leads to rub through on the battery box where they can move about, so some tape or rubber there might be worthwhile.

At the risk of being a complete heathen, what about buying a battery with the opposite terminal polarity and running slightly longer positive wires? They could then be sheathed and guided off the edge of the clamp frame without such a sharp break angle.

Fellow Frogger

That would just move the problem to the other side of the battery box. It wouldn't be any further away from the edge of the box, unless you mean it improves the situation because the bulk of terminal hangs out over the plastic middle of the battery and not the box. It could help, but the clamp is still right next to the metal frame forming the top of the battery box. You would probably also have issues with the location of the starter solenoid on those cars with one hanging off the +ve terminal clamp. We are obviosuyl talking about the batteries on the LH side and remember they were over the RH side for a while too.

Thread Information