85cx25ieauto
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 85cx25ieauto

1000+ Posts

Default 85cx25ieauto

Cruising home this evening,everything as it should be when everything shut down,pulled over. Nil electrics,no ignition or lights,horn;zero,zilch,nothing. Retreived the jumper pack from boot and when attached got a large spark from neg.terminal. Not far from home and a nice evening for a stroll. I intend to sleep on it and hopefully will find the answer here in the morning,so good night from me,Andy.

Advertisement

Dead alternator?

1000+ Posts

Thanks addo;have a new battery which I will try this am;not so long ago alternator was rebuilt. However as it appears to be a dead short and as;will let you know,Andy. I know very little about electrics your advice must be top of the list;thanks for that,will let you know,Andy.

1000+ Posts

Thanks addo,I have a new battery which I will try this am but as it does appear to be a dead short you are most likely right. The alternator was rebuilt not so long ago;oh well,the joys of motoring however fortunately it's just around the corner and could have happened anywhere;down in Canberra recently. Will let you know,Andy.

Rectifier Bridge of the alternator? Getting AC current instead of DC?
    Cheers Gerry

#10 wire fell off the rat's nest near the battery or became disconnected from the alternator? And I'm just guessing rat's nest because I saw the word CX.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

battery terminals Check and verify regardless:

-battery terminals
    -big earth point screwed into the body above the battery
    -big electrical plugs under the spare tire (best snipped out and removed if intermittent ... they are only really needed for manufacture)
    -electrical connection onto the sensors on teh back of the head
    -crispy burnt wiring to the back of the alternator
    -the glass fuses ... these go intermittent. The plastic wedge type fuses don't seem to so much. You'll chase your tail in circles forever with glass fuses. Once they start going intermittent nothing seems to fix them long term in my experience.
    -flywheel sensors ... check there resistance .... boil them in a dish of water to check for failure when hot.
    -coils ... well you should pick it dropping back and knocking away on 2 cylinders if one of these dies

You were driving after dark? Has the headlight switch gone up in smoke yet They need relays, or eventually oneday, with a small puff of smoke you'll be driving home with no lights (been there done that).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    battery terminals Check and verify regardless:

-battery terminals
    -big earth point screwed into the body above the battery
    -big electrical plugs under the spare tire (best snipped out and removed if intermittent ... they are only really needed for manufacture)
    -electrical connection onto the sensors on teh back of the head
    -crispy burnt wiring to the back of the alternator
    -the glass fuses ... these go intermittent. The plastic wedge type fuses don't seem to so much. You'll chase your tail in circles forever with glass fuses. Once they start going intermittent nothing seems to fix them long term in my experience.
    -flywheel sensors ... check there resistance .... boil them in a dish of water to check for failure when hot.
    -coils ... well you should pick it dropping back and knocking away on 2 cylinders if one of these dies

You were driving after dark? Has the headlight switch gone up in smoke yet They need relays, or eventually oneday, with a small puff of smoke you'll be driving home with no lights (been there done that).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Thanks to everyone for your repies. I was also sick of "rats nest" over battery and front of car completely re-wired last year,now all neat and tidy. Put new battery in and everything perfect again;the "old battery was just over a year old so they don't make them like they used to.Early bombs 50 years ago;including tractions,one never looked at battery which,in most cases outlasted the car,Andy.
    Addit re no lights;happened a couple of years ago;solved problem ,to get home,just held the flasher switch,oncoming traffic no doubt impressed by my high beams.

"Put new battery in" refers to the current post problem? If so, glad it was as simple, equally puzzled but there you go.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alhantos View Post
    Early bombs 50 years ago;including tractions,one never looked at battery which,in most cases outlasted the car,Andy.
    Yes but one used one's crank handle if the battery was a bit weak !

Cheers

Alec

Thread Information