Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By citroenthusiast
  • 1 Post By levit8
  • 1 Post By brian woodcock
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 2 Post By UFO

Thread: what length tube/broomstick to keep up 67 ds21 bvh so i can move it

Icon11 what length tube/broomstick to keep up 67 ds21 bvh so i can move it

Just wonder if anyone can give me what length and thickness tube/broomstick (or other recommended materials) as my bvh is still sitting in the middle of our backyard (has a tarp over it) and i need to move it out of the weather and undercover before winter gets here
    i can get to the spheres easy enough (any tricks on how to remove a stubborn one) but not sure what length tube i would need insert to have it sitting at say normal driving height but confident some of you guys would have these things sitting around and hopefully pass on your measurements and materials used
    any help/advice appreciated
    thanks guys
    jeff

Advertisement

what length tube/broomstick to keep up 67 ds21 bvh so i can move it-20160125_202159_resized.jpg

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

drooolll.... How about I load it onto my trailer and take it away to save you the stress

seriously, either get a flat tray truck or rent a trailer with long ramps, chock all the wheels and disconnect the trailer from the car to load it. You won't need to raise the car that way

seeya,
    Shane L.l
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

thats how i actually loaded and unloaded using the chocked wheels car trailer disconnected method, and my mate stores his car trailer on our property so have access to it but trouble is the place ive got marked for undercover storage (on our property), theres not enough room or angles in that area for me to unload etc so really need it lifted to get in that area in the first place as not flat ground

what length tube/broomstick to keep up 67 ds21 bvh so i can move it-20160123_132226_resized.jpgwhat length tube/broomstick to keep up 67 ds21 bvh so i can move it-20160124_202602_resized.jpg

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Typically about 3 inches long is adequate. I use a rubber furniture foot at the bottom and a hardened washer at the top. The washer keeps the wood from crushing the sphere's shims. The rubber furniture foot reduces the shock when you are moving the car. Paint helps keep the fluid from attacking the wood. You will have to remove the extender from the front or make one plug correspondingly longer.

what length tube/broomstick to keep up 67 ds21 bvh so i can move it-suspension-plugs.jpg
    GreenBlood, UFO and Errol_S like this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Quote Originally Posted by levit8 View Post
    thats how i actually loaded and unloaded using the chocked wheels car trailer disconnected method, and my mate stores his car trailer on our property so have access to it but trouble is the place ive got marked for undercover storage (on our property), theres not enough room or angles in that area for me to unload etc so really need it lifted to get in that area in the first place as not flat ground
    Those are great photos, just great, especially the first. Mid-north somewhere?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I'm seeing it in Gris Palladium avec brun cuir! Noyce!

first photo of the pair was mid northern south australia maybe 200 kms from adelaide
    actually took a whole lot of pics in sequence of second photo showing how to load/unload a non running ds but havent posted them yet
    thanks for your help guys
    JohnW likes this.

I was thinking the plains for the first photo, one of those 19th century townships that hasn't quite thrived, so towards Crystal Brook, a bit further on the plains east of Pirie, or even out east of the ranges there. Not as far east as Terowie perhaps. Anyway, very characteristic photo. Love it.

There are old French cars lurking generally in those places too. There are at least two Renault 4CVs in and around Peterborough for example. There used to be one in a paddock near Melrose too.

Anyway good luck with a DS with real potential, to which quite a few man-hours need to be added!!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Jeff,Have you considered pressurising the hydraulics by operating the pumpwith a socket on a drill,that way you will steering and brakes too.
    Woody
    JohnW likes this.

bloody hell JohnW
    if you can seriously get all that info out of first photo and not know about this actual cars location prior to me finding it (it was there for 10 years), then your some kind of genius as car was basically in middle of area you described being georgetown

some of the hydraulic lines have been removed Brian and steering/brakes etc disconnected otherwise good idea which ive done before
    thanks though

I asked a similar question once, the answers I received led me to buy the wrong diameter of timber dowel (too large, it had to be whittled in the field) and lengths were too long. Seriously, just buy a Meranti broomstick and take a small handsaw.

Next time I am prepared... I copied the screw-in temporary stops I'd seen on a European vendor's website by turning the bottoms off old spheres and tapping a central thread for a stop-bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by levit8 View Post
    bloody hell JohnW
    if you can seriously get all that info out of first photo and not know about this actual cars location prior to me finding it (it was there for 10 years), then your some kind of genius as car was basically in middle of area you described being georgetown

some of the hydraulic lines have been removed Brian and steering/brakes etc disconnected otherwise good idea which ive done before
    thanks though
    Grew up in Adelaide. I've done a fair bit of work in the mid-north on underground water supplies, so it sort of felt right. Georgetown eh. There you go. I'd never have expected there to be a DS there either.
    levit8 likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

UFO

This is the part to which addo makes reference

Suspension Up Tool Pair
    addo and JohnW like this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

wow thats a bloody great idea, thanks for tip guys
    i think i can buy individual parts to make that without any machining
    will let you know if i can

Dead spheres donate the threaded bosses, you can bodge them up with an angle grinder to trim off the sphere shell. I had mine turned on a lathe because I'm fussy like that - it doesn't really matter though.

i dont have a sphere in front of me addo but is there a thread already in the middle large enough to put a decent size bolt through that would keep car up if i cut rest of shell off, thanks

There's no thread in the middle, unless you are destroying rebuildable old spheres. Much better to chop up the welded type. Drilling and tapping for an M12 or M10 bolt would be straightforward.

Also, I believe bolt head down is a better idea, more contact area on the piston. For adjusting, file flats on the other end of the bolt to use with a small spanner, or cut a screwdriver slot.

Just went looking for mine to photograph... Hope I haven't loaned them out and forgotten it. :-/

another idea would be to drill a hole larger than bolt size through cut up base of sphere and weld a nut to the centre opening and screw bolt through that
    but i have a feeling those plugs in tool maybe be similar to fork tube end caps on motorbikes which sometimes have threads for bolts in middle of caps
    to enable filling of fork tubes with oil

Thread Information