Best battery for DS23IE ?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Best battery for DS23IE ?

Thank God I'm a Frenchman harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default Best battery for DS23IE ?

What's the guff on the best battery for a DS23 with Electronique injection?

May be you 've just bought one and are happy with it, or maybe if you can just let me know what's best for a DS23 in terms of ratings, type etc....

Advertisement
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

I have recently replaced the battery with one that fits the battery cradle precisely. The battery guys tried to talk me out of it as they said that battery is good for a truck! Nevertheless, I said I want it! I do not care if it's good for a truck.

I'll be visiting it tomorrow and will get the battery details tomorrow and will advise.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    What's the guff on the best battery for a DS23 with Electronique injection?

May be you 've just bought one and are happy with it, or maybe if you can just let me know what's best for a DS23 in terms of ratings, type etc....

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    I have recently replaced the battery with one that fits the battery cradle precisely. The battery guys tried to talk me out of it as they said that battery is good for a truck! Nevertheless, I said I want it! I do not care if it's good for a truck.

I'll be visiting it tomorrow and will get the battery details tomorrow and will advise.

Regards,

John

Thanks very much John,

looking forward to it.

Fellow Frogger

Isn't it something like an N70Z ??? It's a bog standard larger sort of battery in any event. It can't have recessed terminals though.

1000+ Posts

For what it's worth, I have been very impressed by the "Absorbed Glass Mat" battery in one of my toys. Main merit (apart from compactness) was its capacity to over-deliver energy for an initial starting boost. In my case (driven by space considerations & battery shape) the battery brand is "Full River" rather than the better known Odessey etc.

cheers! Peter

But does it leak green fluid?

I recently initiated a discussion on similar batteries (AGM and Lithium types) and received some recommendations that included FullRiver as well.

If these blokes want a more authentic look, they could also consider the calcium alloyed lead-acid batteries such as commonly sold by SSB and Delkor. In the N70ZZ size, couple of hundred is the damage.

Oscaro has the case size as D26 in European nomenclature.

Regards.
    John
    I did precisely the same thing for my Light Fifteen. A modern battery looks totally out of place in these older cars. Too small and too brightly coloured.
    Cheers Gerry

1000+ Posts

Something of interest up here in 'the tropics' old style water top up batteries last longer than modern ones, don't know why but they are more resilient to heat, humidity.

I have an Optima battery in the CX. I am very happy with it now at 6 years old and still going strong. Cells are cylindrical gell types. Don't know how well it will fit in a DS but it is a little smaller than what was there before in the CX. One of the chief advantages is lower self discharge rates, perfect for a classic car. I would agree with that but be careful what radio you have in the car as some can have a pretty high standby load.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thanks to you all Guys for your input.
    Had a spare moment at work today and ran down to Battery World.
    This is where it struck me that in my previous DSpecial I had a pre-stained LHM coloured battery installed which I had forgotten about.

Soon as I mentioned NS70X he led me to the Amaron Range, Calcium-Silver, Resistant to extreme heat, and capacity to hold charge longer when not used all the time.
    Plus the beautiful "leak before you leak" fluoro en-masse green LHM colour as a bonus.
    Couldn't resist Amaron Batteries
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 4th April 2016 at 06:55 PM.
    addo likes this.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    I did precisely the same thing for my Light Fifteen. A modern battery looks totally out of place in these older cars. Too small and too brightly coloured.
    chacun a son gout! Peter

Notwithstanding that I advised Harrisson-Citroen too late (he purchased in a work break) via PM's of what battery fits the D precisely (and it's black), if anybody else is in the process/market for a new battery, the battery that I have installed last year is a: AC Delco battery # S80D26R.

It is a sealed maintenance free battery that is assigned to a Bentley. I had determined this by actually going through ACDelco catalogue (there maybe other suitable vehicles) after I purchased the battery on size and not on vehicle! I do not recall the dimensions now but I went through Any Power Battery's stock until I found one with proud terminal with the correct orientation of +ve and -ve terminals to fit D's cradle.

Any Power Batteries are located in Dandenong Victoria. Very happy with the service and price.

Regards,

John

Regards,

John

There it is, "D26R".

That gives the case size (D26, which also informs the terminal protrusion as desired) and the terminal orientation "R" (when the long edge with terminals is closest to you, positive is on the left).

So, the reason that very few(?) install the "correct battery" must be that battery catalogues have dropped off the D, and battery shops retailers believe that a battery of that size is overkill for a 4 cylinder petrol vehicle!

John

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    There it is, "D26R".

That gives the case size (D26, which also informs the terminal protrusion as desired) and the terminal orientation "R" (when the long edge with terminals is closest to you, positive is on the left).

So, the reason that very few(?) install the "correct battery" must be that battery catalogues have dropped off the D, and battery shops retailers believe that a battery of that size is overkill for a 4 cylinder petrol vehicle!

John
    Good info John,
    I'm about to replace my battery a Bosch S3 55D26R (very happy with it for over 6 years) - I'll get a price on the Delco, looks like my local supplier is Zupps (Peugeot) typical markup is horrendous, could I ask how much you paid?

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Sure can but you are a long way from Dandenong (just joking).

Nevertheless for anybody else in Melbourne, Any Power Batteries do deliver and install but not sure how far out of Dandenong.

Price for the AC Delco S80 D26R was $150.00. However, you may have to haggle for that in BNE but you at least know what they can sell them for and still make a profit.

This battery's performance is quite impressive (I reckon for the price):
    1. Cold Cranking Amps 600
    2. Amp Hours 75
    3. Reserve Capacity 140 Minutes

Best regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Good info John,
    I'm about to replace my battery a Bosch S3 55D26R (very happy with it for over 6 years) - I'll get a price on the Delco, looks like my local supplier is Zupps (Peugeot) typical markup is horrendous, could I ask how much you paid?

Cheers
    Chris

Icon3

Sure can but you are a long way from Dandenong (just joking).

Nevertheless for anybody else in Melbourne, Any Power Batteries do deliver and install but not sure how far out of Dandenong.

Price for the AC Delco S80 D26R was $150.00. However, you may have to haggle for that in BNE but you at least know what they can sell them for and still make a profit.

This battery's performance is quite impressive (I reckon for the price):
    1. Cold Cranking Amps 600
    2. Amp Hours 75
    3. Reserve Capacity 140 Minutes

Best regards,

John
    Thanks John,
    I'll get a price from Zupps, I tip they will be at least $50.00 dearer than your fellow - I'll report back

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Why not shop around a bit? John's price is pretty good, but there are equivalents around your way.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Why not shop around a bit? John's price is pretty good, but there are equivalents around your way.
    Definitely will, Zupps are almost walking distance from home so I'll give them a shot, but if I'm not happy I'll let them know

To be honest it is probably a waste of time given previous experience, they wouldn't talk to me without a VIN hahaha

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

There must be AC Delco dealers in BNE Chris. $165 from an eBay seller. (I did not search for BNE)

Acdelco CAR Battery S80D26R 600CCA 30 MTH Warranty Maintenance Free AC Delco in VIC | eBay

As for Zupps, you should be entitled to trade discount. Bluff your way if necessary (you regular supplier does not have in stock and you can't wait for them to order).

John

Definitely will, Zupps are almost walking distance from home so I'll give them a shot, but if I'm not happy I'll let them know

To be honest it is probably a waste of time given previous experience, they wouldn't talk to me without a VIN hahaha

Cheers
    Chris
    addo likes this.

John
    The Amaron catalogue actually shows the Citroen DS23 1973-75, which is what I've got and the battery code 95D26R that I bought for it, therefore it is the correct battery for the car with the right terminals. I find it just a little short in length , probably about 20mm.

I chose calcium -silver for its capacity to hold charge longer when not in use regularly.
    The colour is a matter of taste I guess and I like fluoro green . When I was a teenager, DS's batteries were not all black. Some were yellow, some red , some blue. And that's how they came out of the factory.
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 4th April 2016 at 08:06 PM.

Personally I'm a big fan of silver-calcium. Bosch Silver in particular, I even used them for solar panel storage, as I am not really a big fan of deep-cycle. Again, personal.

Sure enough, as soon as I had to change the battery on the 21, I got me a 70 Ah Bosch Silver.
    It wasn't very happy.
    As soon as I changed the voltage regulator for a good one though, it was.

The reason can be found on the pertinent Wikipedia page:

"Silver calcium batteries generally require more charging voltage (14.4 to 14.8 V) and may not be functional in older vehicles because their power generating systems (alternators) give lower voltages than those of modern vehicles."

So basically, IMHO, if you have an old regulator, silver-calcium may not be a good idea, if you have a good one, go for them.

Icon11

There must be AC Delco dealers in BNE Chris. $165 from an eBay seller. (I did not search for BNE)

Acdelco CAR Battery S80D26R 600CCA 30 MTH Warranty Maintenance Free AC Delco in VIC | eBay

As for Zupps, you should be entitled to trade discount. Bluff your way if necessary (you regular supplier does not have in stock and you can't wait for them to order).

John
    Well that went well not!! Oh dear. . .

Zupps don't recognise your code as an ACDelco battery code

Yes they did ask for the VIN number for my car , I chuckled (well quietly guffawed) after some interrogation from David in spare parts, he determined the correct battery for a 1974 DS23 carb would be 22FR520SMF and he could do that for me for $211.00

I note another Delco supplier in Brisbane (not as convenient) list the S80D26R at $210.00
    Allstar Batteries - S80D26R

Think I'll have a cup of tea and print some T-Shirts

Cheers
    Chris
    addo likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

That recommendation you received via Zupps, the case size is 22F. You can also see the "R" in its layout designation, the rest of its ID code is the CCA and Sealed Maintenance Free.

22F: 240 long, 170 wide, 203 total height (mm)
    D26: 259 long, 172 wide, 222 total height (mm)

Sorry Chris, it must be a bit more competitive here is Melbourne. (Even our RACV will deliver and install - check out RACQ).

Any chance of a Trade Discount from Alistar Batteries - many shop assistants don't bother asking for details?

John

Well that went well not!! Oh dear. . .

Zupps don't recognise your code as an ACDelco battery code

Yes they did ask for the VIN number for my car , I chuckled (well quietly guffawed) after some interrogation from David in spare parts, he determined the correct battery for a 1974 DS23 carb would be 22FR520SMF and he could do that for me for $211.00

I note another Delco supplier in Brisbane (not as convenient) list the S80D26R at $210.00
    Allstar Batteries - S80D26R

Think I'll have a cup of tea and print some T-Shirts

Cheers
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information