DS Muffler. Experience with stainless steel?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By kenlin
  • 1 Post By forumnoreason
  • 1 Post By David S
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By kenlin
  • 1 Post By Glenn Drake

Thread: DS Muffler. Experience with stainless steel?

Default DS Muffler. Experience with stainless steel?

It's getting to that time again!

The DS23ie is beginning to sound like a tin can with a few marbles rolling about. There don't seem to be any holes blown in the muffler but there's a lot of rattling when you give it a shake. Pretty sure it's not rubbing anywhere and the rubber bracket supports seem OK. It does seem that baffles have probably come unstuck inside the muffler. The rattly noise does spoil the DS harmony doesn't it.

Has anyone tried stainless steel mufflers? I'm told they can be a bit hard and prone to splitting but would appreciate hearing of anyone else's experience with stainless. My car does have stainless tail pipes and there have been no problems with those. Any advice on local suppliers of either stainless or standard steel mufflers would also be appreciated.

Not much point in showing a photo of a superficially sound muffler, so I thought a shot of the car's interior might be of interest.

Advertisement

Thanks

KenDS Muffler. Experience with stainless steel?-1974-citroen-ds-23-pallas-ella-2011-003.jpg

No idea Ken guess it depends on how much you use it and the cost of a regular one is going to be half at least? Plus what are the chances of you climbing underneath to admire it! I'd just get a plain one, it's a disposable item.
    GreenBlood likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Interior looking good and steering wheel not too mushy. I am also looking for a D Spec muffler- probably use whatever I can get for "reasonable price".

I have just put a mild steel muffler on the D Special, I liked the idea because I have SS on other D's and always felt they were, louder, I'm very happy with the mild steel.
    There have been some pretty average SS mufflers available locally, I wouldn't bother with them. Better to contact Citroen Classics, I can personally recommend the ones they sell. They look identical to the original steel mufflers but in stainless.
    At least we're buying 55 pence for a dollar today.

Last century I recall putting a s/s muffler on a D.

Noisy from memory, kinda more in line with sports car noises, probably not quite the Citroen thing.

Fellow Frogger

An aftermarket stainless system scrounged from a wreck and fitted to a 23 EFI was, in my experience at least, more noisy than it should have been. New system in mild steel including the extra DS muffler under the boot made it a significantly quieter beast. Obviously stainless systems vary, but it's common to experience a different, usually less muted exhaust note with a stainless system vs a supposedly equivalent mild steel system.
    forumnoreason likes this.

About 20 years ago I made about 10 stainless muffler and pipe sets for various Dees.
    I used 3 and Dee owning friends at the time got the others.
    Generally the feedback was good.
    I recall that I changed the mount bracket design, and used regular steel for these, 'cos the SS was just too prone to fatigue at key stress points.

The sound was a little different, not loud, just a bit hollow sounding......

I'm not inclined to make more at present......
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

If the material is stainless, is it possible the retail manufacturers are using a thinner gauge than would be selected for aluminised mild steel, simply because it keeps production costs low and it won't corrode?
    cjl likes this.

Default DS Muffler

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    If the material is stainless, is it possible the retail manufacturers are using a thinner gauge than would be selected for aluminised mild steel, simply because it keeps production costs low and it won't corrode?
    Thank you for the feedback everyone. Consensus seems to be to stay with mild steel mufflers for a couple of reasons. I do think I prefer the traditional exhaust note and would be disappointed if a harsher or louder note resulted.

I was almost persuaded by Steve's reminder of the time we could spend lying under the DS (supported by stands of course), admiring a gleaming stainless steel muffler while searching for the source of LHM leaks. But hopefully that episode has passed.

Thanks again

Ken

DS Muffler. Experience with stainless steel?-1974-citroen-ds-23-pallas-ella-2016-001.jpg
    forumnoreason likes this.

Those episodes NEVER pass Ken!

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Those episodes NEVER pass Ken!
    Not quite true, they pass, but they are cyclical. It is the origin pf the phrase dj vu.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Fellow Frogger!

Having bought a Pug 404 for not a big outlay, one of the issues was exhaust corrosion. Having been shocked @the asking price for a complete stainless system ($ parity with the car) I decided to make my own from the components sold by 'Best Mufflers Online' duly surveyed the bends on ex system & ordered the S/S replacements +straight pieces & a muffler. Was going to wait 'til the MS system virtually fell off (tightwad I) but my hand was forced by the need to remove front pipe to repair that B*#~dy useless column change linkage. Used the old broken pipe to make a jig then stitched the new sections together (MIG welder & S/S weld wire from Bunnings). Took opportunity to modify manifold connection to flanged with socket head bolts as it's less restrictive. I'm happy with result - no noisier (but I haven't changed the muffler/back section yet). Regarding fatigue - we'll see I guess but the new section has to tolerate a fair bit of flexing (engine mounts are past their best I'm sure) & so far so good. I also bought enough material for the centre- pipe of my Traction- Avant, but that's a longer term project!
    may all your plans be cunning ones,
    Baldrick,

fleet: 1989 Peugeot 505 GTi Wagon
    1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 MG ZR160
    1988 Mercedes 300E
    1953 Citroen 15CV (under Restoration)
    1953 Bristol 401 (under Restoration)
    That's one for each day of the week - I really should stop

If you don't mind sourcing a stainless steel one from the UK then consider one from P.D.Gough, they have supplied many a system for the D and have been an advertiser in the Citroenian for many years.

If you're a member of a Citroen club they have been known to give discounts to club members.

I've got one of their exhausts and I am very happy, I can't comment on the loudness as I've not had a D with a mild steel one, for me I wanted fit and forget.

Link: Stainless Steel Exhaust Manufacturers | Classic Exhaust and Manifolds
    Last edited by Pommiefrog; 15th April 2016 at 03:10 PM.
    Regards,

George
    Leicestershire, England
    1971 DS21 EFI, Pallas, BVH, Blog:http://www.mypallas.net

I have had a s/s muffler on my ds23 since 1998 - no issues
    cheers
    mberry likes this.

Thanks for introducing P.D. Gough George: a classy fabricator. Very impressed with the quality of their work presented in their "Gallery". Some of their work could be quite easily be a show piece in the lounge!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Pommiefrog View Post
    If you don't mind sourcing a stainless steel one from the UK then consider one from P.D.Gough, they have supplied many a system for the D and have been an advertiser in the Citroenian for many years.

If you're a member of a Citroen club they have been known to give discounts to club members.

I've got one of their exhausts and I am very happy, I can't comment on the loudness as I've not had a D with a mild steel one, for me I wanted fit and forget.

Link: Stainless Steel Exhaust Manufacturers | Classic Exhaust and Manifolds

1000+ Posts

I've had a stainless rear section including muffler on the 405 for 12 years. Stainless has a crisper, slightly more metallic sound where mild steel is softer and more mellow.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I had a centre box made in SS, copying the mid 60s steel one, with a single 52mm outlet and ran a long SS pipe to the back, with no rear silencer. It made a bit more noise but the improvement in breathing was huge, especially from 3000 revs upwards - it pulled cleanly and continuously. I ran it that way for about 80,000 miles before selling the car.

So it might be worth looking into getting one made if there's someone local that makes them, unless you prefer originality.

Cheers

Marc
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Don James (JBM Industries) used to make tail pipes from electrical conduit. He bent them to the appropriate angles and welded or brazed the clamping ferrule on the ends. They were about twice as heavy as the originals but lasted forever.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Thread Information