ID19 Carburettor identity
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FIVEDOOR

Thread: ID19 Carburettor identity

Default ID19 Carburettor identity

Hi, can anyone identify this Solex carby? It is fitted to my pre July 1961 ID19.
    I can not find any specs for the tuning of it... jet size, float level, tuning sequence etc.
    It has a bad flat spot when going from idle to power (when changing gears).
    The T handle jet on the back, (close to the tappet cover) will find a sweet spot, but the idle, mixture screw on the front does not make much difference.
    It could be a F34 PBIC if that is a model, 32-26 on the (single) throat, power valve has 72 stamped on it, and the bowl has 3A-1-25.

Advertisement

I have come across this type of carby on old stationary engines, but have not seen them on motor cars, although it rings a faint bell on old Austins or similar.
    Thanks RexID19 Carburettor identity-img_0037.jpg
    2CV6 Special Green, Riley RMB, RX7 Rotary, Jensen Healey, 1896 Ford A replica, and last but not least 1961 Citroen ID19-P... Previous include, 27 Chev Truck, 24 Bean Truck, 27 Chev Capitol, Rover S105, Humber Hawk x 2, MGB, Ford AA Truck, Ford A, elderly motorbikes x6, and more...

The correct carby is a 34 PBIC

The cable disc on the throttle looks weird, but something in my distant past memory tells me that I've seen it before.

The single bore should be 26,
    Main jet 135
    Compensating jet 230
    Emulsion tube 28
    Slow running jet 50
    Slow running air jet 130
    Starting jet 115
    Starting air jet 4
    Accelerating pump 72
    Accelerating pump jet 50
    Needle valve 2
    Float 5.7g

Any help?
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

The diaphragm in the accelerating pump might be porous, and need to be replaced.
    Bob
    '57 Slough DS19, Buttercup
    '60 2CV 1220, Raid Runner
    Several DS19 and 2CV projects

This site seems to list solex F34 PBIC as belonging to 1959 ID19 :-

CITROEN Specs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aa Solex ID19.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	82302

and there appears to be one for sale here:- https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/918614621.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ID19 Carburettor identity-aa-solex-id19.jpg  
    addo likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hey bob, have a look at the picce. What is the brass tap on there, I've never seen it before. Is it an adjustable idle jet ?
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Wow! What a find; new!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Hey bob, have a look at the picce. What is the brass tap on there, I've never seen it before. Is it an adjustable idle jet ?
    Hi all, thanks for the interest. I have been able to confirm that it is a somewhat correct carby for the ID19.

I could not get the flat spot out, so pulled off the complete carby, and the distributor and the plugs.
    I found there was a leak in the fountain tube mounting that curves over into the throat and it was not getting any fuel at all from the accelerator pump into the throat. Made a new gasket and it worked a treat. Reset the plugs, points and timing. Should now be fixed? No. Bad as ever, flat spot when accelerating from idle and after a gear change.
    Figured I was not getting the idle jet and that big tee screw jet on the back set correctly in sequence. The idle jet did not seem to have much effect when the tee jet was set for smooth running.
    Then screwed the tee jet out about four or five turns, and found I could then set the idle mixture.
    Then set the tee jet until a sweet spot was found while revving the engine. This was the answer, set this jet at increasing revs to eliminate the flat spot, not at static low revs.!
    A test run proved the point, it is now better than ever.
    I think the adjustable tee jet can replace the normal fixed jet, and can highly recommend it, but I have been unable to find it in a parts book. Might be an aftermarket fitting.
    I still don't know the correct fuel height in the bowl, nor have I seen an instruction sheet for this application.

Happy, happy, Rex B
    2CV6 Special Green, Riley RMB, RX7 Rotary, Jensen Healey, 1896 Ford A replica, and last but not least 1961 Citroen ID19-P... Previous include, 27 Chev Truck, 24 Bean Truck, 27 Chev Capitol, Rover S105, Humber Hawk x 2, MGB, Ford AA Truck, Ford A, elderly motorbikes x6, and more...

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

HI Rex,

I think the float hight is in the manual (do you have the factory manuals there ... I have some you can borrow). I should also have some standard jets there if you want to try them.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

The adjustable Tee jet is an aftermarket tuning option. Made by a company other than Solex. I find them annoying and prefer to refit the original fixed jet. Another source of flat spots is from blockages of the progression holes in the throat of the carb found at the level of the throttle butterfly valve. The spray bar tower often is leaking as these carbs age. I had one rattle its way out of the cross bar fuel transfer port and drop down the throat onto the butterfly. Needless to say the car failed to proceed, A little Loctite was all that was needed to secure it. Whilst on the subject of the spray tower, this houses the emulsion tube under the air correction jet. I had Ron Brownrigg of Riley car fame rebuild a 32PBIC for me many years ago. I ran the carb for quite a while and always suffered from a flat spot. Visual examination did not reveal anything wrong until I removed the air correction jet. The emulsion tube was notable for its absence. Even the experts ( X spurts ?) can get it wrong!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information