TA to 12 volts. Polarity?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default TA to 12 volts. Polarity?

Hi!

Advertisement

I'll change TA to 12 volts but I wonder about polarity. It is negative ground, Isn't it?
    No problem with the starter? Or I should change polarity of fields ?

Thanks.

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

The starter won't care. It turns the same way regardless of the direction of current flow. I reversed the polarity on my '49 Bentley. The only things that cared were the generator (which can be flashed to reverse polarity) and to a lesser extent the ignition coil.

Pretty sure T/A is negative ground anyway.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Tadpole

<The starter won't care. It turns the same way regardless of the direction of current flow.
    I suspected; I'm glad you have confirmed it.
    <I reversed the polarity on my '49 Bentley. The only things that cared were the generator (which can be flashed to reverse polarity)
    Finally I'll put an alternator
    <and to a lesser extent the ignition coil.

<Pretty sure T/A is negative ground anyway.[/QUOTE]

Is it? Then I am confused because at the same time I am fixing a '28 Model A Ford that share the same battery .

Cheers,

I've done this job on my Normale.
    Mine was positive to earth.
    If the generator was positive to earth on its original car you have to flash the geni to reverse the polarity.
    Also I bought a 12v to 6v inverter to run the wiper motor. On mine you could dial up a range of volts. I selected 8 volts just to make the wipers work a little faster. So far so good.

Tadpole

Now I re-read my first mail and I see.....

Yes, yes; In this TA, 47' Légere, it is positive to ground too. I have to take care on weekends ...

For benzine sender/clock I will make a small power supply to get ca 7-8 v from 12v. For overcome the problem of polarity change I think that it should "float", i.e. no direct grounded.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Zeque View Post
    Now I re-read my first mail and I see.....

Yes, yes; In this TA, 47' Légere, it is positive to ground too. I have to take care on weekends ...

For benzine sender/clock I will make a small power supply to get ca 7-8 v from 12v. For overcome the problem of polarity change I think that it should "float", i.e. no direct grounded.

Cheers
    Most dash instruments are "hot wire" and accordingly not polarity sensitive.

However Citroen, being Citroen it would be wise to check if the Fuel gauge is a "hot wire" instrument.

The clock should be bi- polar.

Thread Information