• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By citroenut
  • 1 Post By KimHowe

Thread: New to Citroen - intro and some Xantia questions

Default New to Citroen - intro and some Xantia questions

Greeting Froggers

After spending most of my life with German cars (mostly air-cooled VWs) I have found myself being drawn to French ones lately.

A couple of years ago one of my sons asked me to look at a cheap 206 which turned out to be a GTI. Having driven it, I quickly handed over the $1000 and drove away smiling. After a few months I added a 306 auto for my daughter to learn to drive in. About a year ago the GTI had an unfortunate encounter with a forester kangaroo, and rather than fixing it, I bought a much nicer example which is still going well and feels like a new car even with 250,000kms on the clock. The 306 started to use coolant indicating a head gasket issue, and as it wasn't a great example of the model, I decided it might be time to get something better, as I'd done with the 206.

Are Peugeots a gateway drug to Citroens?

So... I bought a 2003 C5 wagon and a Xantia from Balki.

The C5 is in service and I'm pretty happy with how it's going at present. There are a couple of small things I'll try and tidy up on it.

The Xantia is bit more of a project. It's a 97 Turbo CT. The initial challenge is to get it registered, but there are also a few small issues to look at. I'll make a post is the parts wanted section for a couple of things I know I need, specifically a windscreen washer nozzle and a glove box latch. I also have a couple of questions.

When the rear washer is operated, water comes out of the front nozzles but not the rear one. It seems that there is one washer bottle with a single pump that connects to a T junction, with one line going to the bonnet nozzles and another through the roof to the nozzle built into the rear wiper. What I don't understand is what switches the flow of fluid from the front to the rear. Are there solenoid valves in the lines or something? Anyone know how this actually works?

Is it normal for the brake pedal to sit about 25mm lower than the clutch pedal?

The headliner is sagging. A google search for sagging headliners revealed a fellow with a BMW who had fixed his using a steamer and a paint roller. Looks like the method would only work if the glue was water based. Anyone ever tried this, or know if the glue is water based? I'll remove and re-glue it if necessary, but I'm not opposed to an easy solution

Advertisement

I'm sure there'll be other questions, but that probably suffices for now.

Cheers

Kim Howe

You'll grow to really like and respect that Xantia. Very competent vehicles.

Yes, re the brake pedal. It's very good to have it low for quick operation. Some still have a spring in the little mechanism between the pedal and the doseur valve that actuates the brakes, and many of us found it best to remove the spring and replace it with a short bolt shank or similar (I used wooden dowel personally). Brilliant brakes.

Heaven knows re the washers. I'd always assumed two pumps in one tank but never needed to look as practically nothing ever went wrong with our Xantia.

My roof lining suddenly dropped on my head at about 15 years. I paid for a professional fix and was very satisfied.

You may be able to get "flood with spray" washer nozzles for the front on ebay - probably UK. I'm sure I have a pair somewhere.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I did a backyard diy for the roof lining in my 96SX.
    Removed attachments such as grab handles etc, covered everything I could inside, peeled off cloth, vacuumed/ scraped/ wiped as much muck off the backing board as I could and did the same with the back of the cloth, beginning at one end spray contact glued the headlining and slowly worked my way to the other end ensuring I didn't spray too much glue or pushed too hard that the glue would come through the cloth. Took me at least half a day.
    Within a month I had one small patch that obviously didn't glue well enough, but 7 years later it is still up and looks presentable enough. I live in Brisbane, the car is in Hobart for when I visit, so we might see each other in traffic sometime.New to Citroen - intro and some Xantia questions-image.jpg
    Last edited by Bruce H; 26th March 2016 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Incorrect autocorrect
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Bruce,

Fine effort! You didn't mention the language used at the time!

A key phrase is "looks presentable enough", which isn't remotely judgemental. Ours was the main family car at the time and I was pretty busy at work. I doubt it is a job I'd have felt moved to tackle myself though then or now, like a dash removal!
    Last edited by JohnW; 26th March 2016 at 06:15 PM.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Sounds like there are differences between my Activa and the CT, so no words of wisdom from me.

But they are great cars. Enjoy.

Fellow Frogger!

greetings Kim
    Usual pump delivery is through a shuttle valve with two outlets, the internal piston moves to block off the non required outlet according to the pump rotation. [it's dual direction] Plenty of pumps available here and O/seas which are much cheaper. It may only be the shuttle needs a clean. Cheers .

when you figure it out let us know! My rear wiper only just started to work again, since I pulled the front end off washer hasn't worked! ha ha. Am I bovvered? They're trucks mate! DO NOT go cleaning the lhm tank filter until you know how to do it. ( carefully) All the hoses will be as brittle as hell quite possibly and you could end up in tears if you go at it hammer and tongs. Get a dodgy Haynes manual at least to read before having a crack at anything unless you are mechanically minded. Even then it's a coin flip scenario. I reckon they are great cars btw.
    Not a sniff on a D though.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 26th March 2016 at 10:05 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

I've seen the washer nozzles on eBay cheaply. Search for Xantia parts & don't give up after the first 200 pages ! You'll be surprised what's there.
    I've just bought a '98 CT, my second, & last of the line. They are in my experience, the best of all the Xantias & worth spending money on.
    Do get a professional to check the strut tops before they let go & attack the bonnet . Also worthwhile having the doesur [brake] valve diaphragm replaced before it leaks hydraulic fluid under the front carpet. Don't ask how I know about these problems !

Enjoy the ride.

Richard
    Armidillo and JohnW like this.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Ah! It looks like my Xantia has the wrong pump fitted. It has a single outlet pump hooked to a T piece. I'm guessing a previous owner has installed the wrong one by the look of things. I'm hopefully grabbing a spare parts car soon and will check out the pump on it.

Sounds like the brake pedal is fine as it is - also good news.

The headliner I'll have to work out myself

Thanks also for the encouraging words about the car, and the helpful suggestions. The strut tops are certainly a potential concern. Balki suggested fitting a chain to stop them going through the bonnet. I was wondering if it might be worth swapping the parts from a Xantia II (which the potential parts car is). Changing the douser valve diaphragm looks like a good idea too.

I'll make sure I go slow and carefully with stuff I'm not used to - like the LHM tank. Thanks for the heads up. Plenty of mechanical experience (40 years) - just not on these cars

Thanks for the help. I'll let you all know how things progress.

Kim
    Last edited by KimHowe; 28th March 2016 at 01:34 PM.

If it has the earlier strut tops, I wouldn't even start the engine until the new ones are in place. You seem to have a set of newer design ones. They do look different from the bottom, and use different gaiters, so if your parts car is indeed series II, with the safe strut tops, you'll be able to see by visual comparison from underneath whether your Xantia has the later ones or not.

There are old posts on these strut tops - a disgraceful bit of design work. I've added a few photos for you, including a retainer. Shane (Doublechevron) had an excellent set of photos a few years back I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to Citroen - intro and some Xantia questions-new-xantia-strut-mount-sml.jpg   New to Citroen - intro and some Xantia questions-xantia-strut-failure.jpg   New to Citroen - intro and some Xantia questions-haub_13_wr.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

S1 pipes are different too from S2 are they not? And the hydractive ones are different again plus the piston holes, should be 17mm for top nut flange and 10mm pipes, I think. I bought some off the Lithuanian mob, though the ones I took off weren't that bad. EDIT. regulator seals now going PAH! puddle of expensive liquide vert! grrrr

Xantia: "hey Steven you're sitting there having a beer"
    Steven "So?"
    Xantia "Well get out here and stop me leaking you branleur!"
    Steven " Prochain Samedi putain!"
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 28th March 2016 at 07:35 PM.

There are differences, e.g. hydractive vs non-hydractive for pipes I think. I just bought the correct parts, new, and they fitted. It didn't involve changing the top casting and high pressure pipes, so quite easy. Someone will know the details.

Citroen denied they had modified the mounts, even though they had a different part number and there'd been a safety recall in NZ, quite correctly.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

From checking around as best as I can, I think it has the new style strut tops - I'll confirm when I get a chance to look at the other car.
    JohnW likes this.

Thread Information