DS IE Inlet Manifold Refurbishing
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS IE Inlet Manifold Refurbishing

You can't pull the fuel rail off without removing the manifold and when you do, considering its been there a long time - it needs cleaning; externally and internally. (I was surprised as to how gunked up some of the inlet lines were; surprised because it was obvious that it had been worked on before.)

Advertisement

DS IE Inlet Manifold Refurbishing-img_4575.jpgDS IE Inlet Manifold Refurbishing-img_4577.jpgDS IE Inlet Manifold Refurbishing-img_4587.jpgDS IE Inlet Manifold Refurbishing-img_4588.jpgDS IE Inlet Manifold Refurbishing-img_4589.jpg

Hence started pulling it to bits.

So, 2 questions:
    1. How does the throttle assembly come to bits and, [Is it in the workshop manual - sorry I have not checked and I just thought of it?[
    2. I was disappointed with the original aluminium casting as to how rough it was with little finishing off of the misalignment dags etc and started to grind off the misalignment. Then I wondered if others have polished the IE inlet manifold of their D.

Regards,

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS IE Inlet Manifold Refurbishing-img_4582.jpg   DS IE Inlet Manifold Refurbishing-img_4585.jpg  

Have you considered wet blasting the manifold? CarNut on this site, does it as a service. The results are impressive; an as-new look with ever so slight sheen - not the "dusty" feel of regular grit or plastic media blasting.

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

On my SM IE, the plenums were badly oxidised so I removed everything, including the throttle shaft. I then had the manifolds bead blasted. To preserve the finish, I had the plate shop put on a zinc chromate finish (which is conductive), then I powder-coated the manifolds with Eastwood dull aluminum. The finished product is shown here
    .DS IE Inlet Manifold Refurbishing-150704-2-.jpg

Assuming the throttle assembly is similar to the SM, disassembly is fairly straightforward. Remove the throttle position sensor (it may be stuck to the shaft, so a bit of prying may be required once the fixing screws are removed. Support the throttle shaft from below and using a gunsmith's screwdriver, remove the screws holding the butterfly (these will have been peened over so will require a lot of force - hence the use of the gunsmith's screwdriver). The shaft can then be pushed out along with the ball bearing on the cable side. There is a plastic bushing on the opposite side that will disintegrate if you try to remove it, but you can typically find a close match (in the US you can get one made out of brass or teflon from McMaster).

If you want to renew the ball bearing on the throttle side, be very careful when pressing the bearing off - the shaft will buckle unless you support it where the butterfly goes through. Putting the butterfly back in the slot actually works quite nicely.

Thank you Citroenthusiast, I thought so as much and yes it is stuck to the shaft. I was concerned that there may be a further attachment / fixing to the casing of the throttle position sensor (TPS). The DS TPS unlike the SM's is clipped together and I thought maybe that it needs to un-clipped to gain access to that fixing.

On reflection, there is no "play" of the butterfly shaft within the housing so all I need to do is remove the butterfly to clean the butterfly plate .

Regards,

John

Very very nice. How do I get the Maserati embossed on the manifold? Just joking.

Is there a need for paint (albeit powder coated) once zinc plated? With zinc plating, there is no need for bead blasting I believe.

John

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    On my SM IE, the plenums were badly oxidised so I removed everything, including the throttle shaft. I then had the manifolds bead blasted. To preserve the finish, I had the plate shop put on a zinc chromate finish (which is conductive), then I powder-coated the manifolds with Eastwood dull aluminum. The finished product is shown here
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	150704 (2).jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	82231

Those particular manifolds were on a car that sat unused in a seaside environment for a decade or so. The surface had corroded to a white chalky finish. I felt it was necessary to have the plenums bead blasted to remove the chalky finish. The zinc chromate conversion coating on aluminum (aka allodyne) comes out an unattractive yellowish color but, I was told it is the best possible primer for powder coating over aluminum (powder coating will flake off aluminum if exposed to particularly harsh environments). It may have been overkill, but I wanted to be sure the powder coating would not peel off 5 or 10 (or 20) years from now. Also the smooth finish on the powder coating makes it a snap to keep clean and shiny.

Cheers,
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Manifold refurbished (but not the throttle chamber).

With the advice (result) from Citroenthusiast, I have removed all casting dags ( Aussie terms for bits hanging on) / misalignment and cleaned up all round the upper surface of the manifold.

Upon doing so, I visited our local Repco store (automotive supplier here in Oz) and picked up a can of heat resistant coating - Dupli-Color High Heat (1093 oC)!

DS IE Inlet Manifold Refurbishing-img_4599.jpgDS IE Inlet Manifold Refurbishing-img_4604.jpgDS IE Inlet Manifold Refurbishing-img_4605.jpgDS IE Inlet Manifold Refurbishing-img_4606.jpg

I did very little to the underside as it was quite respectable but the top was filed all over (without going overboard).

Very happy with end result. See comments on Fuel Rail re use of Dupli-ciolor High Heat coating!.

regards,

John

Thread Information