c5 5 speed manual - heeeelp please!
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: c5 5 speed manual - heeeelp please!

Default c5 5 speed manual - heeeelp please!

Hello everybody,

I'm hoping I can get some wisdom (aka HELP!). I've have a c5 2.0 petrol with 5 speed manual trans (late 2001 build). Unfortunately the gear shift no longer selects any gears - likely either the linkages in the shift mechanism have given up - or the connection of cables to gearbox are shot.

I've not had a look at the car close-up given that it at the repairers - who have asked me to source the complete shifter / cable set-up. Well, hen's teeth and my decision to go for the manual opposite the AL4 seem to have come back on me. I will go to repairer to have a close look to see exactly what the issue is - they've not done any disassembly yet.

Can any of you of the "collective Citroen expertise base" provide any advice / work-arounds ... I've rang round to the usual wreckers - no such animal is their yards at the moment.

Advertisement

Cheers

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

can you select gears with the engine off
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thanks DoubleChevron,

Car is permanently in neutral. Cannot select any gear with/without clutch whether engine on or off. Gearshift has virtually no resistance.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Balouk View Post
    Thanks DoubleChevron,

Car is permanently in neutral. Cannot select any gear with/without clutch whether engine on or off. Gearshift has virtually no resistance.

Cheers
    That sounds like a very simple disconnection issue. Something has come undone. On the Auto box, the cable has a large plastic clip on and lock device. It's either a very simple put it back and click -lock it back, and put a wire tie there to hold it, or cable may have broken. It has to be something very simple. The same thing happened to me on a manual HR Holden once. One nut had fallen off the lever where it connects to the box. Good luck.

1000+ Posts

Is it this? c5 5 speed manual - heeeelp please!-screenshot-10.jpgc5 5 speed manual - heeeelp please!-screenshot-11.jpg
    jaahn likes this.

Many thanks George 1/8th and Seasink

Yes, the “penny started to drop” when I mentioned virtually no resistance at the lever end. And yes, both of you pointed to this which was confirmed later yesterday when I visited the car in workshop – the cables had become unattached from the gearbox.

Why – I don’t know. Thanks for pointing this out – I take it that the cables need to be replaced – at least. And perhaps the whole unit – but these are pretty hard to find.

Or maybe it is simpler than that? – the cables had too much slack in them to start with and that why they’ve come off the gearbox? Do the links wear? And is it possible to replace just the connector ends? Or is the whole cable a single unit?

Cheers

1000+ Posts

Transmission ball joints do wear and get slack and pop off. The diagrams above suggest that they can be refitted separately if available.

On my BX I looped and cross looped some cable ties around the ball joints so that they couldn't totally unclip when there was some wear in the joints. Perhaps you could do this until you can source a better set from somewhere. Try ebay.

Cheers, Ken W

Thanks Seasink and Ken W,

Yes. I also thought that you could get the end of cable connectors as a spare - but the parts list I've tracked down only goes as far as the cable itself. And the cable ties solution sounds the most logical - to be a temp repair until I can source both cables or the whole assembly at a reasonable price - and who knows how long that will take!

Thanks again!

Cheers

1000+ Posts

Do a search of UK sites, including eBay. I've seen ads for the ends in the past.

Would Peugeot's 406/7 have the same part? I few more manual Pugs were imported.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

I'm on to it!

Ebay's a given - but any recommendations on suggestions re "other" UK sites.

Cheers & Thanks again

Look also at New Zealand, I'm sure they have rather more manual cars than automatic...
    2005 C5 2.0 VTR Hdi 138, 1986 Kawasaki GPz 750G2

I'm on to it!

Ebay's a given - but any recommendations on suggestions re "other" UK sites.

Cheers & Thanks again
    This ebayer is wrecking a C5 manual, may be worth contacting for used part.
    Citroen C5 Trans Gearbox Manual 2 0 Dohc 06 01 12 04 20DL30 | eBay

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

They are in Fairfield St, off Woodville Road.
    (Sydney)

PS http://www.landmarkspares.com.au/eas...-submit=Search

Thanks Greenblood and Seasink,

Rang them today - alas that gear shift console part was gone a long time ago. Would've been fantastic - as car was low-mileage.

Anyhow, in my travels on Ebay / other - came across this "repair kit" which is Citroen authentique.

Citroen C5 MK1 Gear Change Cable Ball Joint END Repair Clip Socket 2461A1 | eBay

This looks to fit the longer cable that sits below the exhaust manifold.

Does anyone know how easy it is to install? Is it a simple matter of pushing out the yellow key "clip" to disconnect the old one and put this one on? In other words, no dis-assembly from the console side in car and/or having to drop the exhaust manifold (I assume) etc

The long cable looks to do all the work on hear-changing. And it's the one that keeps popping off.

The other cable - not sure exactly what it's purpose is - as doesn't move much. It's the one that you can see from the engine bay directly. And it looks like the above part is ONLY for the longer cable - not for this one.

Appreciate any wisdom.

As I continue to trawl the internet - am starting to wonder if buying from UK is an alternative. But will freight kill this? Rates that I've seen from UPS / DHL etc are eye-watering --- but then I've wondered whether there's something more to this that meets the eye.... Will start looking now. In the interim, any freight wisdom?

Cheers (again!)

Royal Mail, small package gets you a lot of goodies economically.

Icon3

Does anyone know how easy it is to install? Is it a simple matter of pushing out the yellow key "clip" to disconnect the old one and put this one on? In other words, no dis-assembly from the console side in car and/or having to drop the exhaust manifold (I assume) etc

Cheers (again!)
    Looking at an assembled part, yes it does appear to be a straightforward replacement. . .
    GENUINE CITROEN C5 MK1 GEAR CHANGE SELECTOR CABLE 2444Q3 2000-2005 BVM ML5T | eBay

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information