• Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric
  • 1 Post By badabec

Thread: DS IE Fuel Rail Finish

Default DS IE Fuel Rail Finish

Any ideas welcomed

DS IE Fuel Rail Finish-img_4570.jpg

Fuel rail is out for a complete refurbishment to eliminate fuel leak that would not abate despite retightening hose clamps.

After cleaning the rail, it still looks shabby and was thinking / wondering what others did. - Anybody chromed / cadmium plated / painted theirs?

By the by, the whole EFI hose installation was relatively new (Gates EFI 5/16") with correct TRIDON EFI hose clips. [Installed I believe by Lance of DS Motors.] These are not the standard worm drive units. Regretfully there was no evidence of any of hoses attached to the rail leaking. (Nevertheless, I have purchased 2 packets of non worm drive clamps so I'll be using them.)
    DS IE Fuel Rail Finish-img_4571.jpg

I now believe that the leak was on the return line short hose attaching the D's return line from the centre fixed pipe under the Fuel Regulator.

Advertisement

First venture under the D's bonnet - I did not now it was there.

Another question arises - is there any need for the fixed centre pipe? Has anybody eliminated it?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

John

PS: Note the repairs on the front rail at the attachment via a pipe clamp!

There was no protection given to the rail as it passed through the clamp and hence there was evidence of another leak about to happen as the rail pipe was peened flat. This was attended to and the rail pipe will be protected on installation. (Maybe the clamp had at one stage rubber protection but fell off in the last 40 odd years and not replaced.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JAJEA View Post
    Any ideas welcomed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4570.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	81912

Fuel rail is out for a complete refurbishment to eliminate fuel leak that would not abate despite retightening hose clamps.

After cleaning the rail, it still looks shabby and was thinking / wondering what others did. - Anybody chromed / cadmium plated / painted theirs?

By the by, the whole EFI hose installation was relatively new (Gates EFI 5/16") with correct TRIDON EFI hose clips. [Installed I believe by Lance of DS Motors.] These are not the standard worm drive units. Regretfully there was no evidence of any of hoses attached to the rail leaking. (Nevertheless, I have purchased 2 packets of non worm drive clamps so I'll be using them.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4571.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	81913

I now believe that the leak was on the return line short hose attaching the D's return line from the centre fixed pipe under the Fuel Regulator.

First venture under the D's bonnet - I did not now it was there.

Another question arises - is there any need for the fixed centre pipe? Has anybody eliminated it?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

John

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

As for finish, cad plate would be my guess. Painted would look OK if the car weren't going to be run much. Paint is fairly fragile when applied to tubes, though. You could do powder coat if you go the painted route. Chrome is actually quite thick (copper plate, nickel plate, then chrome), I would be worried about what happens inside the tubing. Well done chrome would be some added bling.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

I wondered if they were bundy tube with a copper flash over the top. The other possible explanation of how they look, might be just the bundy tube finish but stained by fuel over many years.

Every time I see the fuel piping on a D EFI engine I think wasn't it a shame they hadn't thought of doing a neat fuel rail design back then to make it less of a fire hazard.

I looked into it once because you can get extension pieces that fit on top of fuel injectors that then clip into a fuel rail, which would allow just one fuel hose connection and one jubilee clip. But the geometry of the fuel injectors in relation to the inlet manifold pipes complicates matters; the best I could think of way back when was to make two fuel rails for each pair of cylinders, but that wouldn't tidy things up much. If someone out there could come up with a suitable design I reckon they'd have a good little mod for EFI owners.

Cheers

Marc
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

It looks like Othello cadmium plates his DS 23 IE PRESTIGE RESTAURATION INT…GRALE 06. | Citrothello
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Thank you all.

Cadmium plating is the way to go.

John

PS: And I'll utilize the centre bracket as per original.

Anybody know of a cadmium plater in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. Plenty of Nickel and Zinc can do but unable to locate Cadmium platers.

Regards,

John

Thank you all.

Cadmium plating is the way to go.

John

PS: And I'll utilize the centre bracket as per original.

It's really uncommon now, the closest look is yellow passivate on zinc. Maybe there are US shops who can do it? HRE or Daffy will have an idea.

Appears it has been phased out because of environmental concerns with the process. Still appears to be used in the aerospace industry.

Why has cadmium plating of fasteners been banned?
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    It's really uncommon now, the closest look is yellow passivate on zinc. Maybe there are US shops who can do it? HRE or Daffy will have an idea.
    California is exceptionally tough on that. This state has decided that damn near everything causes cancer to some extent, and pretty much all our heavy industry, including aircraft has left. I'll have to look around a little and see. What you may do is go to Hemmings.com and look through the services offered pages. I just happened to think, there might be a few platers left in Texas and Washington. Those two states still have an aircraft industry.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

addo likes this.

Once again, thanks for your input.

No doubt for cadmium plating to be still available to the aviation industry I'd consider it to be the superior coating. However, all I desire is something a bit better than the original unfinished fuel rail.

I'll be chasing local nickel or zinc platers on Monday as I'm keen to get the D mobile again.

Best regards,

John

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Believe it or not, Burbank Plating in of all places Burbank, California, USA will still do cadmium plating, although I have found that the hexavalent chromium yellow zinc is a pretty fair approximation of that wonderful gold color. Beware, however, other "yellow zinc" treatments that do not use the toxic hexavalent chromium are not much yellower than clear zinc.

Cheers,
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by citroenthusiast View Post
    Believe it or not, Burbank Plating in of all places Burbank, California, USA will still do cadmium plating, although I have found that the hexavalent chromium yellow zinc is a pretty fair approximation of that wonderful gold color. Beware, however, other "yellow zinc" treatments that do not use the toxic hexavalent chromium are not much yellower than clear zinc.

Cheers,
    John T.
    Thanks for that, John. I had forgotten completely all about them. Last time I needed plating services was during my time at Vintage Restorations in North Hollywood. That was a long time ago.

Picked up my Fuel Rail Piping today.

Quite happy with the bits- best AUD25 I've spent for a while. I had a choice of "finishes", I chose blue zinc [nothing blue about as far as I'm concerned].

Anybody in Melbourne Australia interested it was - Coburg Plating P/L 3-5 Warner Street Coburg.

Regards,

John
    DS IE Fuel Rail Finish-img_4582.jpg

Once again, thanks for your input.

No doubt for cadmium plating to be still available to the aviation industry I'd consider it to be the superior coating. However, all I desire is something a bit better than the original unfinished fuel rail.

I'll be chasing local nickel or zinc platers on Monday as I'm keen to get the D mobile again.

Best regards,

John

An excellent result, John. That will look good for a long while.

Agreed, I just could not reinstall as is/was, irrespective of how hard I tried to brush clean them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post

Especially once you've painted them
    addo likes this.

Paint?! I was considering a paint coating if I could not get the plating at a reasonable price nevertheless, what colour would you suggest and what type that is fuel resistant in a spray can?

John

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Especially once you've painted them

Yes I have painted them!
    As a result of looking at the refurbishment of the IE manifold possibilities, I went a stage further and coated the fuel rail also.

Coating is a Dupli-Color High Heat Ceramic (Aluminium)! Magic stuff. Upon coating, put in oven at 200 degrees C for one (1) hour and allow to cool (not when the wife is around - foul smell on curing that lingers for some timAttachment 82634Attachment 82635e!) [And the next time she goes to use the oven!!]

Regards,

John

Paint?! I was considering a paint coating if I could not get the plating at a reasonable price nevertheless, what colour would you suggest and what type that is fuel resistant in a spray can?

John

(not when the wife is around - foul smell on curing that lingers for some time)

What- are you afraid of a little consequence? Hmmmm??

The pics show up as invalid attachments.

Good afternoon Hotrodelectric,

No - not at all, just concerned for other AF's, what I get away with is no measure of what others have to go through.

My wife was home and baked a cake the following day; however she had to clear the smell before baking by cranking up the oven to its maximum and "cooking" the remaining traces of the paint out of the oven linings!

DS IE Fuel Rail Finish-img_4604.jpgDS IE Fuel Rail Finish-img_4605.jpgDS IE Fuel Rail Finish-img_4606.jpg

The photos did not previously attach (I think) because of their size, so I removed one and maybe that will help.

Regards,

John

(not when the wife is around - foul smell on curing that lingers for some time)

What- are you afraid of a little consequence? Hmmmm??

The pics show up as invalid attachments.

Thread Information