• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Charity Rally

Tadpole

Default Charity Rally

Hi Citroen people,

I thought I'd drop in and introduce myself. Me and my mate Russell are in an event called the Sh*box Rally.
    The basic premise is, you buy a car for <$1000 and drive it on some outrageous outback roads to raise money for the Cancer Council.

This year we're driving from Mackay in Queensland to Hobart.

We like a challenge, so for the rally this year we purchased a 1985 Citroen CX Pallas for $900.
    We've got the local school to paint her........... French and we're good to go.

Charity Rally-car1.jpg Charity Rally-car2.jpg

Advertisement

We'll be carrying 3L of LHM, a spare fan belt of every type and a Haynes manual. What else could go wrong?

If it all turns a bit merde on the trip, I'll probably shout out to this forum for advice!

For those that are interested, our website has links to the Rally (for the Route, our impact, where the money goes) and to our Facebook page (for general team info). Team Thunderbox. SB Rally 2016

The cars are all auctioned at the end of the rally (proceeds to Cancer Council). So, if you're in Hobart on Sat 14/5 there's an auction at Manheim's where she'll go under the hammer.
    Typically SBR cars go for $50 - $200 at auction. (assuming she makes it)

Thanks for reading
    Kelvin

Charity Rally-fb_img_1457868906496.jpg

Hah.! Fantastique.! Great work Kelvin. Good luck.

As to "What could go wrong".. Well, where do we start.?

Seriously, from the photos it looks like the suspension pumps up OK so as long as there are no big leaks you will have suspension, steering and brakes. So that is a good start. The motors in these are nigh on bullet proof so you have every chance of a good trip to Tassie. Probably not uneventful, but if you don't have some mechanical "fun" on these rallies why go eh.??
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

CX will do it easy ... the harder the terrain the easier it handles it. Be careful of sudden drop aways on outback roads, the nose comes down like a sledge hammer.

Spares .... You MUST go over the wiring in that thing first. Remove the spare wheel and clean the big electrical connector blocks under it, clean the series/parallel fan relays.... If the budget stretches, get the radiator rodded out before you leave.

The main thing I would carry is a spare flywheel sensor and ignition coil. They are known to go heat sensitive Good luck !!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    artisan likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    The main thing I would carry is a spare flywheel sensor and ignition coil. They are known to go heat sensitive Good luck !!
    Funny you should say that. The only mechanical thing we've fixed is replaced the coils.

And while I have the experts here, how do I turn the bloody heater off? Assume it won't be so bad in the high country and Tassy, but in a perth summer, we're cooking.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by CXVingtCinq View Post
    Hah.! Fantastique.! Seriously, from the photos it looks like the suspension pumps up OK so as long as there are no big leaks you will have suspension, steering and brakes.
    Thanks for that Peter, there are actually 2 teams in the rally from Narrabri!
    We purchased it from a Citroen mechanic (Bob from Kalamunda, WA) and the spheres were done a year ago. Overall the car is in great shape (we think), so are hopeful of going the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbox View Post
    Funny you should say that. The only mechanical thing we've fixed is replaced the coils.

And while I have the experts here, how do I turn the bloody heater off? Assume it won't be so bad in the high country and Tassy, but in a perth summer, we're cooking.
    I'm guessing it is off

Dare i suggest ... winding down all the windows .... and carrying a spray bottle of water to spray yourself with

I've heard CX's can be "toasty warm" to travel in

seeya
    shane L.
    Thunderbox likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Hi Citroen people,

I thought I'd drop in and introduce myself. Me and my mate Russell are in an event called the Sh*box Rally.
    The basic premise is, you buy a car for <$1000 and drive it on some outrageous outback roads to raise money for the Cancer Council.

This year we're driving from Mackay in Queensland to Hobart.

We like a challenge, so for the rally this year we purchased a 1985 Citroen CX Pallas for $900.
    We've got the local school to paint her........... French and we're good to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car1.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	81838 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car2.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	81839

We'll be carrying 3L of LHM, a spare fan belt of every type and a Haynes manual. What else could go wrong?

If it all turns a bit merde on the trip, I'll probably shout out to this forum for advice!

For those that are interested, our website has links to the Rally (for the Route, our impact, where the money goes) and to our Facebook page (for general team info). Team Thunderbox. SB Rally 2016

The cars are all auctioned at the end of the rally (proceeds to Cancer Council). So, if you're in Hobart on Sat 14/5 there's an auction at Manheim's where she'll go under the hammer.
    Typically SBR cars go for $50 - $200 at auction. (assuming she makes it)

Thanks for reading
    Kelvin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1457868906496.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	81840
    Soooooooo Coool! I am jealous! That will be unforgettable journey!
    Thunderbox likes this.
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

What else could go wrong?
    Famous. Last. Words.

Go for it and good luck. If a CX can do Rallye du Maroc and Rallye de Senegal, it is well qualified for the S**tbox Rally. There was a poster who completed this a few years ago in a Jag XJ6. I'll try to look it up and post it for you. In the meantime, pics or it didn't happen!
    Thunderbox likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Tadpole

This will be my 4th rally and Russell's 3rd.
    We're slowly getting more adventurous.

2013 02 Magna Adelaide to Perth via Uluru. Problems - Just tyres.
    2014 98 Falcon Perth to Darwin via Gibb River Rd. Problems - Just tyres.
    2015 67 Crown Canberra to Townsville via Birdsville track. Problems. Exhaust fell off. Points kept closing, regap every 50km. Sway bar snapped off. High beam (foot switch) kaputt - so all lights gone - fixed roadside to leave low beam on, overheating occasionally. That said, made the entire way under her own steam, and was a pleasure to drive.

2016 85 CX. Mackay to Hobart. Watch this space.

Happy to post pics in May.

And found it.

Makes for fascinating reading. Got any pics from the other runs? That Toyo Crown sounds interesting. The CX should be relatively easier on tires (don't mind the spelling- I'm a Yank).
    okalford likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Um, yeah. I don't do a lot of driving in the summer around here. The ventilation & Air Con is European designed and not really suitable for Australian conditions. It is overly complex/sophisticated in true Citroen tradition. It should be reasonable in May, but as Shane said, you may as well wind down the windows most days. It could well be that the cable from the temp control lever in the console between the seats to the heater flap under the bonnet is broken. The hot water always flows through the system and the air direction flaps divert air away from the heater-box radiator in summer (when heater is in off position) and over it in winter (on) Worth a look at the simple things first I always say. Your flap may be stuck in the heat position inside the air flow box. I notice some Froggers have put in plain old tap in the water hose to turn off the heater in summer. See photo. Cheap & you could do worse.

I agree with Shane about carrying a Flywheel ignition sensor. Cheap enough part but fairly prone to go in extreme heat. And check the radiator fans are working properly.

GreenBlood and Thunderbox like this.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Got any pics from the other runs? That Toyo Crown sounds interesting.
    I love the crown. I purchased it after the rally last year and shipped it back to Perth. It's now in my garage and will live again as a "Sunday" car.

Some crown photos.

These photos are official SB Rally ones, credit Lachlan Gardiner.
    Charity Rally-fb_img_1458110048800.jpgCharity Rally-fb_img_1458110062167.jpg
    And the bottom one is a photo of my TV screen when were were on "Sunrise"
    Charity Rally-fb_img_1458110041011.jpg

Out of 4 rallies, I've purchased 2 cars back. I won't be allowed another.
    Charity Rally-20160305_125111.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Charity Rally-20160305_125111.jpg  

Good night, I don't think I've seen a Crown here in the US for 15 years or better. We officially got them, they just didn't sell big numbers.

I take it after the rally you'll sell the CX on?

Tadpole

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I take it after the rally you'll sell the CX on?
    At the end, we hand the cars over to the rally. We get first option to purchase them back at a price set by the rally. If we don't take that up, they go to auction. Either way, proceeds go to the Cancer Council.
    Manheim's (auctioneers) are major sponsors for the Rally, so there's no buyer's fee or any ++. Hammer price is the price.
    Certainly neither Russell or myself have any intention of buyback.
    Someone will get a very cheap CX (and if it gets to Hobart, it's a proven goer)!
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

Get the AC degassed before you start. Rally in style. Good Luck!!
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Get the AC degassed before you start. Rally in style. Good Luck!!
    De-gassed or Re-gassed ???????
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    De-gassed or Re-gassed ???????
    Probably in that order if the job is to be done properly.

UFO

Climate control in a CX has two states. ON and hotter. With ON being the standard hot state.

You may want to look at the little servo motor connection which I think is in the left footwell area. CX heater cores have constant flow and there is a flap that blocks the airflow from the heater core - if it's working. (BTW I am scratching my CX repairing memory there!)
    59 Floride likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Thanks everyone for the advice.
    We may have a go at getting the heater sorted this weekend.
    Step 1. Locate the heater box. ;-)
    Now, where would I purchase a spare flywheel sensor? Is this something I can just get at repco, or will it require a search and internet purchase?

thnx again.
    k

CX Flywheel sensors

maybe you can find a spare ford sensor ?
    Thunderbox likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Your heater box is the insides of your centre console forward of the vents so the heat is nicely contained inside the cabin. The photo in CXvingtcinq's post shows what really is the quickest, most effective solution, fitting a tap into the supply pipe inside your engine bay just before the firewall. It saves the hours that it can take accessing the box, fixing seals and flaps, and getting everything back together again.
    Thunderbox and Jinandfonic like this.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Good to see someone getting a CX to this even though that one looks in better condition than my daily driver.....even the paintjob is better. Maybe I will go to Hobart and pick up a bargain.

I applied a few years ago when the rally was much smaller than it is now but got put on some standby list, still get the emails. Maybe they didn't appreciate the name "Team Shitron." I doubt I'll do this rally in a CX unless you want a third team member for tech assistance.

Feel free to use the name if you want, most Aussies call and spell CitroŽn....Citron. That's like singing the Christmas carol NoŽl, NoŽl but using the blokes name Noel.....wouldn't sound right would it!? The funny dots above the Ž mean that you say the e not leave it out or put the e behind as in Citrone.
    CXVingtCinq and Jinandfonic like this.

Tadpole

Andy, we think this one's in pretty good nick. The chap we bought it from is a Citroen mechanic and it seems in pretty good nick.
    We stuck with our team name as we've used it for a few rallies now. We did however make it Le Thunderbox this year in a nod to our French steed.
    We do call it the Shitroen between ourselves.
    Regarding the rally, once you're on the interest list, they let you know when to apply each year. Everyone gets on eventually. Usually the rally is roughly half returnees and half newbies.
    I seriously would recommend someone picking this up at the auction. Otherwise they tend to be picked up by a wrecker.
    Mind you, perhaps hold off and ensure she gets there first.

Hmmm, I fancy a proven CX. And a road trip back from Hobart. What transmission does it have?

Roger

PS good luck!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    What transmission does it have?
    Roger,

It's an auto, but we were told it was recently reconditioned. I have contact details of the chap that sold it if you wish. He's a member on here too. As he's got nothing to gain/lose, I'm sure he could give a more informed appraisal of the car. (we really don't know much/anything about Cits!)

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information