D Hub grease and gearbox oil
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leconte

Thread: D Hub grease and gearbox oil

Default D Hub grease and gearbox oil

Hi all,
    Slowly getting my D Special back together, spent a day just getting the new clutch cable in (after misplacing the ferrule) and reinstalling the handbrake cable and springs (I now have a new special tool for compressing those blasted things).
    Looking ahead to the next jobs.

1. Can't locally source any Shell Retinax AM grease for the drive hubs, any suggestions for grease that won't attack the Teflon parts?

2. Suggestions for oil type / brand for the gearbox ( 4 speed), I know the manual lists something but it was written 45 years ago, any new types that treat old boxes well?

Thanks in advance
    Steve

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Steve,

Don't worry about the Teflon bits - impervious to oils and greases used in the cars. Tranny oil - look for a GL-4 spec material in the 80 -90 wt range. My understanding is that some versions of the GL-5 spec fluids do not play nicely with brass syncro parts. While expensive the GL-4 spec synthetics are also good if in the proper viscosity range. The ones I am use to seeing in NA are 75-90 wt.

Steve

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Steve,

Consensus is with Castrol VMX80 gear box oil plus a small tube of Nulon G70 additive for the gearbox. Many many people advocate this, see thread:

Nulon G70 - What help is it?

For grease I have a note to self to use Castrol HTB that would have come from these forums. My car is still not on the road so I am going on other people's experience.

cheers leconte
    UFO likes this.
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Steve,

The grease refereence came from a restoration post. Forum search tools are your friend, there are thousands of posts you don't see from the past unless you change your default settings or search for keywords like HTB. Halfway down this page the author asks for recommendations on oil and grease.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...l-celia-7.html

cheers and good luck with your car. Every one is a different journay, that is why it is interesting.
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

Thanks for the replies, I remembered seeing it mentioned but could not find it with search.
    The reason I mention the teflon issue was because it was specifically mentioned in the Haynes manual ?
    (can't refer to too many manuals right)
    Maybe they were getting a kick back from Shell?

Cheers
    Steve

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frog View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I remembered seeing it mentioned but could not find it with search.
    The reason I mention the teflon issue was because it was specifically mentioned in the Haynes manual ?
    (can't refer to too many manuals right)
    Maybe they were getting a kick back from Shell?

Cheers
    Steve
    Over the years I have come to the conclusion that specific recommendations not also found in the factory manuals in any of the Haynes manuals should be taken with a kg of salt

If you go here: Teflon PTFE Chemical Compatibility Reference Chart

you will find a comprehensive list of Teflon's compatibility to a wide range of chemicals and chemical compounds (as well as a few incompatibilities).

Steve
    Last edited by Citroenfan; 14th March 2016 at 05:25 AM.

Thread Information